Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fermentj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
So I just bought a Canon HF100 which I am happy with so far expect that it records in M2TS format which I really can't find anything to edit with so far. At first I was thinking since its MPEG-4 I could just go right from the camera to the appleTV, but I was obviously wrong.

Right now I have to output an MPEG-2 (loss of quality), and then run it through handbrake to get something to play on my :apple:TV

So I have 2 questions:

1. Is there an easier way to do this?

2. I have another video editor that I was hacking up the MPEG-2 files in, it has a few options to output the video in MPEG-4 (mp4). I can get this files to play in Itunes, but they are not recognized on teh AppleTV.

Did I miss something here? What specific settings do I need in order to create an MP4 file to get it to play? I have some DVDs that Handbrake keeps crapping out on, so it would be nice to have another tool to fall back on.

Thanks

blackfx35

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
So I just bought a Canon HF100 which I am happy with so far expect that it records in M2TS format which I really can't find anything to edit with so far. At first I was thinking since its MPEG-4 I could just go right from the camera to the appleTV, but I was obviously wrong.

Right now I have to output an MPEG-2 (loss of quality), and then run it through handbrake to get something to play on my :apple:TV

So I have 2 questions:

1. Is there an easier way to do this?

2. I have another video editor that I was hacking up the MPEG-2 files in, it has a few options to output the video in MPEG-4 (mp4). I can get this files to play in Itunes, but they are not recognized on teh AppleTV.

Did I miss something here? What specific settings do I need in order to create an MP4 file to get it to play? I have some DVDs that Handbrake keeps crapping out on, so it would be nice to have another tool to fall back on.

Thanks

Why not just use iMovie, and export to iTunes, and access it on your AppleTV via iTunes?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Why not just use iMovie, and export to iTunes, and access it on your AppleTV via iTunes?

I have a Canon HF100 and this method is the easiest. Or you can use Final Cut Pro and Compressor if you have them. Another transcoding program that people love is Visual Hub, but I am not sure it works with AVCHD.

The Canon HF100 uses AVCHD which is not natively supported by Macs at all (for now). iMovie and Final Cut Pro transcode it to Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) or ProRes (Final Cut only).

fermentj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Yeah, I forgot to mention the point I don't have a MAC.

I guess thats a reason to finally buy one, I just don't think my wife is going to let me buy anymore toys this year.

Thanks

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Wtf?

I guess thats a reason to finally buy one, I just don't think my wife is going to let me buy anymore toys this year.

Thanks

Mac. Not MAC. It's annoying.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007

Thanks

That does make it more complicated. As I suggested, I would look into Visual Hub or even MPEG Streamclip. Not sure if either will except AVCHD, but it is worth a shot you don't have that annoying runaround.

PS. get a mac!

fermentj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
what are the rumors on the new release on handbrake?

Is is supposed to handle AVCHD?

26139 - Sorry for the semantics with MAC vs. Mac. I'm glad that you felt it necessary to comment on this post to add that valuable piece of information. Thanks for the help..............

fermentj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
So the camera came with SW that will allow me to burn an AVHCD compatible DVD, however I can't read it on my computer.

I assume I would need a blueray drive to do this.

I will see tonight if Handbrake can convert it from a regular drive.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I will see tonight if Handbrake can convert it from a regular drive.
Likely not. Current releases of HandBrake will only accept mpeg-2 video along with some eyetv type program streams.

... unless your software converts it to mpeg-2, your likely out of luck with HB ... for now.

fermentj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
dynaflash -

Ok so I think I'm a little confused.

I can burn AVCHD DVDs from my camera. Are you saying Handbrake can or can't convert those?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
well, what I am telling you is that current releases of HB only read mpeg-2 video (standard in commercial dvd's) while AVCHD typically uses h.264 video (much like Blu-Ray does). So without having your camera and trying it, I couldn't tell you. As well, HB could have issues with how your software constructs the dvd (much like it has with iDVD sources).

The next version will be able to read the avchd file directly without the dvd conversion on your end.

Since you have the camera, try one. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.