Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I was holding my wife's identical 8gb iphone 3g next to mine and noticed a few things that caught my attention.

1-My screen is darker than her's. we both have v.5a347 and the same 8gb model. I am aware of the yellow tint associated with the previous firmware 5a345. Oddly hers does appear to be more yellow than mine even though we share the same version # that supposedly corrects this.

2-My phone boots up about 3 seconds slower than her's and runs apps a second or two behind. I have to admit, this does bug me.

3- My sleep button is almost completely flush on the left side making it harder to push in (no joke) where as her's sticks out more all together and is even.
I also noticed that my vibrate button is angled off a bit...yes indeed making it difficult to push down.

4-And finally I thought it would be worth mentioning that we both share the famous light leak on the left side of the screen but....mine is worse:rolleyes:.

Perhaps some useful information: My wife received her iphone a week after I got mine.
Makes me wonder if my phone was part of an defective batch at launch.

Anyone else having similar results when comparing two iphone 3gs? or have any suggestion?

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
my home button didnt work..i had to replace mine....it was ANNOYING!!!
Yeah, I'm afraid I may have to do the same but I'd really like to figure what's causing some of these issues, particularly with the software. Why would my wife's OS out perform mine in speed when we have the same phone with the lasted firmware? I just dont want to drive 2 hours to the nearest apple store if I dont have to.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
If you've got a catalogue of faults I'd take it back, personally. You probably won't be happy unless you do. You could take your wife's phone to show the Genius for comparison.

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
If those things you mention are easily noticeable then you should definitely take it to an apple store along with your wife's and show them. I think they would replace it for you automatically. Good luck.

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
I was holding my wife's identical 8gb iphone 3g next to mine and noticed a few things that caught my attention.

1-My screen is darker than her's. we both have v.5a347 and the same 8gb model. I am aware of the yellow tint associated with the previous firmware 5a345. Oddly hers does appear to be more yellow than mine even though we share the same version # that supposedly corrects this.

Note: I never did a update on her phone like mine assuming she didn't need it because it already came w/ the current firmware.:confused:

2-My phone boots up about 3 seconds slower than her's and runs apps a second or two behind. I have to admit, this does bug me.

3- My sleep button is almost completely flush on the left side making it harder to push in (no joke) where as her's sticks out more all together and is even.
I also noticed that my vibrate button is angled off a bit...yes indeed making it difficult to push down.

4-And finally I thought it would be worth mentioning that we both share the famous light leak on the left side of the screen but....mine is worse:rolleyes:.

Perhaps some useful information: My wife received her iphone a week after I got mine.

Like other said; take it back and let them see the flaws side by side

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Yes, several friends of mine noticed the same thing when they were doing this the other night

One friend had his phone taking a second or two longer for this or that

Didn't bother him though as he said his phone worked just fine otherwise

EdLee

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
Try a DFU restore of your phone first, just in case your upgrade to 347 did something weird. Also, don't revert to a backup if at all possible...start with a pristine install.

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Take it back and get it exchanged.

My top sleep button was the same way and they exchanged it just for that without giving me a hard time.

rizajj

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
What week was your iPhone built? and what week was your wife's?

It would be interesting if we could narrow down some of the people's physical iPhone issues to a certain few build weeks. Then we could warn people going in to get new iPhones to check the serial number on the box and avoid certain weeks....

newaddy1

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
phoenix arizona.
Wait until she's asleep, take her phone, swap sims with yours, then format and re-sync them. Problem solved! ;)

Exactly my thoughts! :) This reminds me of car websites, where people compare build dates of their vehicles. The theory is that the ones leaving the plant on Friday afternoons have more loose bolts since they rush to finish and leave for the weekend.

Is iPhone built in a single factory?

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
What week was your iPhone built? and what week was your wife's?

It would be interesting if we could narrow down some of the people's physical iPhone issues to a certain few build weeks. Then we could warn people going in to get new iPhones to check the serial number on the box and avoid certain weeks....
Good idea, how do I find out what week my iphone was built?

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Wait until she's asleep, take her phone, swap sims with yours, then format and re-sync them. Problem solved! ;)
:D This actually crossed my mind but me being dumb gave her to much information regarding the differences. She would know.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
My top sleep button also wiggles side to side and is almost flush. When you push one side of it, it becomes completely flush with the phone body making it hard to push in. I'm thinking of taking it back just in case this gets worse over time.

glanv

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008

Haha! Great plan - love it! That's what I'd do if I couldn't persuade my missus to swap, which I probably could!

glanv

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008

Anyone else having similar results when comparing two iphone 3gs? or have any suggestion?

My first phone had light leakage down the left side and I exchanged last weekend. However, when I inspected the replacement at home I noticed a defective case - sharp edges and chips/erosion on the black case. My mate was round at the time with his iPhone and I compared the two - his is perfect, no cracks, chips or defects and only the slightest light leak near the volume button. I called Applecare as soon as they were open and pushed for a courier replacement, but they said probably easiest to go back Apple Store and get it replaced again and spend a while checking the new one until I am happy. Hopefully the genius won't put up a fight, which he shouldn't as Applecare said they had put a note on my call number to say replace the phone.

Take yours back and demand (if you have to) one that is spot on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.