Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oneness

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Cowtown
I have a Mini that I am going to be using as an HTPC. I would also like to use it just to surf and check E's and general stuff like that. My question is that if I am sitting 6-8 ft. away from a 46" TV will the font be viewable or will it be to small (or fuzzy) to be a practical surfing set up.
Anyone have any experience with this type of set-up?
BTW - the TV I am looking at getting is a Samsung Touch of Color LCD.

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
I have a Mini that I am going to be using as an HTPC. I would also like to use it just to surf and check E's and general stuff like that. My question is that if I am sitting 6-8 ft. away from a 46" TV will the font be viewable or will it be to small (or fuzzy) to be a practical surfing set up.
Anyone have any experience with this type of set-up?
BTW - the TV I am looking at getting is a Samsung Touch of Color LCD.

It should be fine, the resolution will not be that good, it will be like 1200x800 or a little smaller, and stuff will seem really big but it will work.

-iGrant

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
I hookup my MacBook Pro to my 32" LCD all the time and its still very usable for tasks other than watching video. I'll be upgrading to a 42" very soon though and I'm really looking forward to that.

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
It will be fine, other than looking at pictures and video

Pics yes I will agree with but video should be fine. I have a Power Mac Dual G5 connected to a tv through a S-Video cable running 800x600 resolutions. I use it as my MacTivo unit. It does great for that purpose.

As long as the Mac Mini can do the resolution that the TV does native, it will be fine.

-iGrant

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
My 52" DLP only does 1080i (not p), and doesn't do 720p. The fonts are too small, and things are generally small and not crisp. It's great with Front Row as an HTPC but less that great as a living room Mac browser.

naid

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
You may want to look into 1080p displays, they are becoming popular for combo tv/monitor use. Worth the extra expense IMO.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
A little of topic but related, whats the difference between like 720i and 720p or 1080i or 1080p?

-iGrant

You should do a Google search, but the differences are resolution and how the image is displayed (progressive or interlaced).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.