Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronthomas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Hey all... so i ripped some of my dvds and im having a issue with the volume.... not so much the back ground noise but with the dialogue. Im using the ipod hi-rez preset with aac+ac3 audio and 160kbps audio... anybody have any ideas what i could do to boost up the voices... Thanks
Aaron

aaronthomas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Thanks Dynaflash.... but im still confused.... Should i just use the aac audio or can i still use the aac +ac3 audio and change the dynamic range compression. Im using my ipod to watch on my tv if that helps.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Well, you can certainly bump up the dynamic range and see if you like it better. Its fine to use with aac+ac3 as it won't touch the ac3 track and only gets applied to the aac track (which of course is all your using with your ipod). I recommend testing a chapter that you don't like the sound on and see how you like a few different settings.

One note: Beware that just like subs, this is hardcoded into your movie, in other words there is no way to turn it off once you've encoded it.

aaronthomas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Ok... ill give it a shot! Last question will bumping up the bitrate in audio quality to 160 help as well? Dynaflash thanks so much!

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Last question will bumping up the bitrate in audio quality to 160 help as well?
Um, for dpl2 I recommend it. However in your OP you said thats what you're already using <confused>. At any rate, yes I would use 160 kbps for your aac audio bitrate.

aaronthomas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Yeah... just wanted to make sure it was the right thing.... Thanks again for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.