Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I have had the app updating process kill my phone twice this week. I just LOVE spending more than an hour restoring and then needing to put my passwords and crap back in for AIM and whatnot.

Does anybody else experience this? I have learned to NEVER download another App update from my phone so I can avoid this crap. It takes long enough when updating through iTunes, especially when it wants to back everything up.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
My iPhone crashes some times but I have never had to do a complete restore of the phone. It usually reboots and everything is fine.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
make sure that you update on your computer - not over the air. i used to just do it from the phone and it crashed all the time, but if you do it on your computer and then sync your phone you should be golden. it works perfectly for me:]

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Never had it crash my phone yet, but its super slow and the icons always move around. No sense in organizing your icons if updating them just moves them all around.

Apple has got to fix the application installation/update process. It's bad.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
make sure that you update on your computer - not over the air. i used to just do it from the phone and it crashed all the time, but if you do it on your computer and then sync your phone you should be golden. it works perfectly for me:]

That seems to have worked, but it seems to take longer than it should when you're talking about apps smaller than 1MB.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
I can't get the little #'s on the app icon to go away. I update it looks like it worked but it still shows there are apps that need updating. It's showing 17 right now. Anyone else have this problem?

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
I can't get the little #'s on the app icon to go away. I update it looks like it worked but it still shows there are apps that need updating. It's showing 17 right now. Anyone else have this problem?

Simply hitting update on iTunes doesn't update applications. You have to make sure you purchase them, download them, and then transfer and install. Check the version numbers of the application in iTunes (right-click, get info) and the version numbers on the application page in the iTunes store.

Also, some apps just have problems with iTunes. AIM 1.1 can only be installed OTA, as downloading the update on iTunes will always be the 1.0 version.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
Simply hitting update on iTunes doesn't update applications. You have to make sure you purchase them, download them, and then transfer and install. Check the version numbers of the application in iTunes (right-click, get info) and the version numbers on the application page in the iTunes store.

Also, some apps just have problems with iTunes. AIM 1.1 can only be installed OTA, as downloading the update on iTunes will always be the 1.0 version.
So you are saying the app updates in iTunes is pretty much worthless. I go into apps down on the bottom is says updates available. I go ahead and download them all and install them but you saying that does not work. I should go tithe app itself and download it again directly. I am just afraid it will charge me again.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Updating can be a pain but be patient as updating a few can take quite a bit of time

I updated 4 the other day on Edge and it took probably 35-45 minutes for everything to go through and none of the updates were significant size wise

jimleszczynski

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Mount Pleasant, MI
Just crashes no complete restores..

However, I have noticed that my account has faked itself out into thinking I have downloaded some updates for applications that actually didn't get downloaded...

kinda lame...

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Its a disaster .... seems like all the metadata either wrapped in by apple or the devs is messed up..

Example, dizzybee shows version 1.3 in itunes but 1.1 in appstore ...

Last night i deleted all 34 apps i had bought.... deleted the files from the disk also and resync'd my devices so i was totally app free...

I then repurchased (free) all 34 apps again and syn'd .... this morning i click on "check for updates" and 9 apps pop up ... all of which are at the same version as they were last night and dizzybee STILL shows as version 1.3 when in reality its 1.0 cos the updates that they have in 1.1 are not present in the version i downloaded from itunes.

Its a disaster..... apple has really dropped ALL the balls it could have done with this launch..... buggy firmware, itunes, appstore, mobileme, devices......

I still have confidence that by years end things will be night and day transformed ..... but it really can't come soon enough and i think apple are learning that hard way what it means to really hit the big-time with a product launch... I think they were just swamped and they haven't scaled well.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
syncing and restoring problems - please help

I updated my 1st Gen iPhone to 2.0 on the day it was released. Since then I have purchased a bunch of programs and have synced/backed-up my iPhone many times. I never tried restoring until today. I decided to restore because my iPhone and iTunes have been acting strangely whenever I sync. First off, my iPhone never opens iTunes when I plug it in. I have to open iTunes myself. And then sometimes my iPhone won't show up in my iTunes but usually it does. But it will start to sync and then poof the syncing on iTunes stops, the iPhone no longer appears in iTunes and yet my iPhone is showing the sync screen. I have to slide to stop the sync and try again. Sometimes when I sync, iTunes will appear to be syncing but after a minute my iPhone returns to its home screen. So I can't tell if it's syncing or not. I thought with the update to iTunes that things might improve but no luck. Still doesn't work. I also have had the same problem someone mentioned above of having application updates noted on my iPhone even though iTunes supposedly downloaded and installed them all. I agree - never download or update software directly on the iPhone. It simply doesn't do it well. I should also mention that my iTunes runs a backup of the iPhone almost every time I try to sync, which takes forever.

So I decided it's time I tried to restore to see if that will help. I did so and it took a really long time (over an hour) and I was encouraged that it even though it took a long time, it never stopped mid-restore and the iPhone screen kept showing the Restore in Progress screen. But once the first try was done, my iTunes told me that one of the applications could not be updated because of some error. My iPhone was back to functioning with everything installed but it was showing one application update on the App Store icon. But the biggest problem is my iTunes wants to restore it again. I can either choose to setup a new iPhone or restore from the last backup. So, since it's not a new phone, I chose restore again and it has been taking forever to install. Before I ran the install I tried replugging my iPhone to see if it would sync instead of offering to restore, but no luck. Am I suppose to choose "Set up a new phone"?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Pandora01

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Toronto
First off, my iPhone never opens iTunes when I plug it in. I have to open iTunes myself.

I started having this issue too, and come to think of it, it began a few days ago after I tried (and failed) to update some apps straight from the phone. I even did a restore (for a different issue), but it still doesn't launch iTunes automatically. I just decided to live with it. It does still launch iPhoto automatically, though. Weird.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
All my apps update quick via wifi or 3g. Weird.

Mine too. I tend to update direct on the iPhone, but when I'm on WiFi. I've done it on EDGE too, and it's not too bad as most of the time taken is in initialising the update, rather than downloading it.

I hate that it moves my icons though. That seems a little silly.

coolant113

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
New Jersey
I dont find it a pain. I just press update and put it back in my pocket. Sometimes it does take a little but whatever i deal with it:apple::apple:

rysmtihaz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Crashes every time

Every time I update from my phone it crashes and gets hung up on the Apple logo. My iTunes shows I need to update every application. I did it once and it's back again. Funny thing is, it only shows 9 apps need updating. Buggy is an understatement.

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
i still dont know how to update apps without deleting them from the phone and then re-downloading them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.