Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Does a master list of applications that have been removed by Apple from the iPhone AppStore exist anywhere, either as a web page or a thread in this forum?

----------

Edit: Ok, so since I both Googled around a bit and searched through the MR forums and didn't find anything, I put together this very basic list. Please post any updates and/or corrections and I'll consolidate them into this first post. Thanks!

Removed and Unavailable

3-Tuple (reason: unknown)

Friend Book (reason: privacy concerns)

I Am Rich (reason: unknown; pricing violates FTC Mail Fraud laws?)

iPint (reason: unknown)

Light (reason: SDK violation)

NetShare (reason: unknown; AT&T violation?)

PhoneSaber (reason: trademark infringement)

Slasher (reason: objectionable content)

The Wisdom: Japanese/English Dictionary (reason: unknown)

Removed but Relisted

Aurora Feint (reason: privacy concerns)

Box Office (reason: trademark infringement; possible planned name change to Now Playing)

Cube Runner (reason: incorrect version uploaded, resubmitted by dev)

Tuner (reason: trademark infringement)

Twinkle (reason: security issues)

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Pretty good idea.

I'd like to know what happened to BoxOffice. I was quite pleased with their last update. Still have it on my iPhone, but it crashes back to the home screen.

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
Does a master list of applications that have been removed by Apple from the iPhone AppStore exist anywhere, either as a web page or a thread in this forum?

----------

Edit: Ok, so since I both Googled around a bit and searched through the MR forums and didn't find anything, I put together this very basic list. Please post any updates and/or corrections and I'll consolidate them into this first post. Thanks!

Removed and Unavailable

Box Office (reason: unknown)

Friend Book (reason: privacy concerns)

Light (reason: code hack)

Tuner (reason: unknown)

Removed but Relisted

Aurora Feint (reason: privacy concerns)

Cube Runner (reason: unknown)

NetShare (reason: unknown)

Twinkle (reason: unknown)

Nice list, but isn't Tuner in the App Store?

P-79

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I guess the app itself was a hack!

It was actually a SDK violation that got it removed - you're not allowed to change the brightness on the iPhone.

That's so lame. That's what makes the program useful! Show white, crank the brightness up all the way! The is the ONLY way of having a flashlight program!!

That's fine, thats why I jailbroke - to have programs that Apple doesn't want me to have. :rolleyes:

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
i wonder why box office was removed
I read somewhere that there was an issue (copyright?) with the name of the application. I think it is supposed to return with a different name, which I have now forgotten.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
yea same here. I was about to purchase (even though its free) and download it when I got an error saying it's not available or something. Also, I still have the Light app even tho its gone. Good thing I got it before that happened. I really liked the new update, which allowed me to change colors in the settings app.

Any idea when BoxOffice (or whatever name, since the copyright) is going to be back?

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I updated Box Office today, I still have it on my phone and from what I've seen, it's working ok.. hasn't crashed or anything.. The movies that came out today don't have trailers available though..

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
It was actually a SDK violation that got it removed - you're not allowed to change the brightness on the iPhone.

Yup, just checked it and the brightness does go up noticeably when it starts. Glad I have the updated version before it was pulled. Now seems better than the other light apps.

One, I'm surprised they could do it (isn't there a sandbox to prevent access to system settings?)

Two, Apple really needs to provide some access to non-critical system settings toallow these kinds of things (quick toggling of networks would be useful). For instance, sometimes games that don't use touch input cause the screen to dim in mid-game play. There should be a way to prevent dimming and sleep if the app itself conciders itself active (would help for NetShare too).

Three, I'm just glad it wasn't a trojan of some kind.

sseelman

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
sticky, please

I suggest that this thread become a sticky and have the first post in it be constantly updated. The issue addressed here will most likely be an ongoing concern and will most definitely be important to track.

To the OP: Thanks for starting this.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I believe Cube Runner was taken off by the developer to insure that no one downloaded a version with a mistake that he had caught only after he had posted the update to Apple. He took cube runner off to make sure no one downloaded the update.

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
I updated Box Office today, I still have it on my phone and from what I've seen, it's working ok.. hasn't crashed or anything.. The movies that came out today don't have trailers available though..

i wonder y box office was removed

I read somewhere that there was an issue (copyright?) with the name of the application. I think it is supposed to return with a different name, which I have now forgotten.

I have it as well and got the update yesterday I think and works fine. I really like it and using it more than I thought I would

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
Box office was changed due to a trademark infringement. Apparently the new version was submitted to the app store a while ago but it's been stuck in limbo, the developer has had his questions go unanswered from apple.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I moved out thanks to the power of light app. Went to pickup the last of my things and the power had already been turned off(night time). Using my iPhone I was able to get everything I needed while breing impressed at it's brightness. Saved me from having to come back in the morning and having to drive 40miles.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Here's another pulled app: "the WISDOM Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary" ... It has been pulled from both the US and Japanese stores. I bought this app, had loads of trouble with my iPhone and erroneously concluded this app was responsible so I requested a refund ($23.99!) ... Apple refunded my money, but the problems I was having persisted. So, I tried to re-purchase the app. However, since I had already purchased it, I was able to download it again - for free!

Of course, it's no longer available at all. I wonder what Apple is doing for all the people who already purchased it. Do they all get refunds? I mean, what if my iPhone has to be restored and I lose the app? I can't re-download it ... what then? Sounds like refund time and a big can of worms for Apple. ;)

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
i just cant believe that apple let all these apps GET THROUGH!! they were SUPPOSE to have strict policies and such, and some apps that got through wasnt apples fault, but SOME just SHOULD NOT have made it to the store to begin with!!!

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
i just cant believe that apple let all these apps GET THROUGH!! they were SUPPOSE to have strict policies and such, and some apps that got through wasnt apples fault, but SOME just SHOULD NOT have made it to the store to begin with!!!

a handful out of 1000+ apps on the store?

What's the big deal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.