Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matteo550

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
i had the original iPhone and syncing didnt take too long. the 3G iPhone however takes FOREVER to sync. am i the only one who has this problem or is it just generally much much slower? if so then why? and if not how can i fix it/will there be a firmware that will fix it?

thanks in advance

tobytoby

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
North-east UK
You are not the only one to have a slow sync. My 3G is connected to my Mac Pro and it takes up to 30 mins to sync. I've done a bit of research on this, but haven't yet found a solution. Some people have pointed out that it might be the backup taking the time - this isn't the case for me as it sticks on "Syncing bookmarks with [my iPhone name]'.

I saw a solution on the Apple discussion forums about deleting files that may be left over from a problematic sync, but this didn't help.

crobbins

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
Colorado
Mine always takes quite a bit of time (5 minutes) to do the backup. I say quite a bit of time because I used to be able to sync on the old one in less than a minute.

buccsmf1

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
i think it has more to do with 2.0 than 3g because my V1 iphone takes forever to sync now. it sits at "preparing backup" for about 10 minutes each time i try to sync. not the end of the world but definitely kinda annoying.

tobytoby

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
North-east UK
Backup doesn't seem to be the culprit. Disabling bookmarks sync does the trick though (but clearly this kind of defeats the object of 'syncing')...

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

yep my v1 iPhone on 2.0 takes forever to sync now. It hangs on the preparing to backup stage for at least 10 minutes.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
If mine only took 10 minutes to sync i'd be happy! Mine goes past the preparing to backup and then goes on to take 30 minutes to do the backup! It's crazy! I have a 2G iPhone and after I put the 2.0 software on it is when the problems started! It's so annoying! I have to set aside time now to sync it and be without it! Also the whole system seems really slow now. It takes 5 seconds or more to load almost any screen!

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Backup doesn't seem to be the culprit. Disabling bookmarks sync does the trick though (but clearly this kind of defeats the object of 'syncing')...

Not for me. I don't sync the bookmarks and it still takes forever; it's the backup that takes so long. Seems to take longest when I download a new app or upgraded app. Once the first backup of the changed app is done it gets to be a lot faster.

Original iPhone upgraded to 2.0

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Mine takes the longest time backing up, everything else (actual syncing) is fast but I think it's a 2.0 issue that should be fixed soon.

Hang in there.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
The massive time taken backing up is because it will now backup all of your apps and their data. I will admit though, it still seems like it's way too long. I usually cancel the backup so it just syncs :p

Ed

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Is the backup supposed to re-backup EVERYTHING every single time you plug it in? It always takes forever for me! I mean I backed it up 2 hours ago, and now it's redoing the whole backup or what (taking 30+ mins by my estimate).

You would think it would only need to backup things that have changed. Unless somethings wrong with mine?

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Is the backup supposed to re-backup EVERYTHING every single time you plug it in? It always takes forever for me! I mean I backed it up 2 hours ago, and now it's redoing the whole backup or what (taking 30+ mins by my estimate).

You would think it would only need to backup things that have changed. Unless somethings wrong with mine?

If apple was SMART they would do a cumulative backup on top of your original backup then just create a new full backup after X number of days. This way if you had to restore it would restore the last created full backup (original or cumulative creation) then apply the incremental ones until your phone is to the latest.

Of course this would require intelligence and thinking ahead but this is Apple...

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Try this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/532189/

(The Idiots Guide to Making your Iphone Backup fast)

Yeah. Aborting the crash reporting does nothing. I think that Apple is trying to incrementally backup the iphone (just like Time Machine), but there is a bug that doesn't allow iTunes to recognize the incremental changes... so it backs up the whole thing every time.

I think this because after installing 7.7.1, clicking on 'check for updates' on the apps screen told me that every app I had (20+) had an update available. This has happened a few times now. So I think there is a bug that prevents the state of the apps from being correctly reported.

greggov

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
Same here. WTH is going on? I have a 16GB phone with 8.48GB free. I even cleared out all my SMS and phone logs, and so far, it has been 43 minutes. and has about 10% left to back up.

I didnt know backing up should be an overnight thing... geez.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha everyone,

Count yourselves lucky if your backups are less than 2.5 hours. Mine seems to be taking at least that long, although I do have a lot of apps loaded. I think I may have other problems as well, but I have to wait until my Genius appointment tomorrow to know for sure. What I do know is that my iPhone dumped all of my iPod content this morning, and I'm not too pleased.

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
Dyslexia at Apple

I have the original iPhone, and with a bunch of apps on it, it can now take a couple of hours to backup and sync this 8GB device.

Turns out, a dyslexic Apple engineer read the specs for the iPhone -- and implemented USB 0.2.

poolish

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
south coast, uk
for some reason mine is taking over an hour to backup... lol. and thats only half way, maybe something to do with it being jailbroken.. not sure, didnt used to take any time at all. ive got 1 gig of apps and things including jailbreak apps, but nothing else. 5.88gb of free space. duno how it can take so long to backup.

cjoshuav

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
My backups take 2 to three hours, and if I backup without deleting the old ones iTunes makes me treat my phone like it's the first time it's been connected.

I love the phone, but I can't believe how bloated and inefficient the iTunes software is (and how unconfigurable...how hard would it be to give me the option to set my backup location???).

Joshua

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
I wish my backups were 5 to 10 minutes, mine seem like 2 to 3 hours EVEN when I let it complete. I thought it was only supposted to backup things that changed on the next backups but it wants to start over everytime.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
It's really a problem. I dread syncing now. HOURS. And I don't want it to back up every time I sync. I might've added just 1-2 apps and don't need it to do that. I want the option.

I need to sync now and frankly, am going to do it when I go to sleep tonight. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.