Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
New York
I have two people on my contact list that I cannot text message. I've typed their number in as ###-###-#### as well as ###-#### and I always get a message saying "use a valid 10 digit number bla bla bla",

I know it's not their service because one of the contacts brothers texts me all the time and they are on the same plan. Anyone experience anything like that?

FJR

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
I have two people on my contact list that I cannot text message. I've typed their number in as ###-###-#### as well as ###-#### and I always get a message saying "use a valid 10 digit number bla bla bla",

I know it's not their service because one of the contacts brothers texts me all the time and they are on the same plan. Anyone experience anything like that?

can they text you?

spartan55

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
This is probably not going to work but try putting a 1 in front of the 10 digit number? I have it like that for all my contacts and it works fine. Pending you're in the USA for the +1

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
New York
This is probably not going to work but try putting a 1 in front of the 10 digit number? I have it like that for all my contacts and it works fine. Pending you're in the USA for the +1

Yeah man i'll try it but but it makes no sense because I can text back his brother without a +1. I'll try it though.

EDIT: I tried it, i get a message saying "Error Invalid Number. Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code. (message here)"

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
this happened to me when i first got my phone, it eventually fixed itself. sorry i dont have a real answer, i dont really know what i did to fix it:eek:, i think i put a one in front of the number???:confused:

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
Ok. This is happened to me and I believe I have figured it out. Please, if, after reading this, you have questions to ask me, post it here but please PM me and let me know you asked a question because I will not be checking back here on my own volition.

When you FIRST texted a contact with yours on your iPhone, you made the mistake of texting from a contact entry (in "Contact.app") whose number you did not append an area code to (probably because they live in the same area code you do). Phone call wise, this is not a problem as the iPhone assumes they live in the same area code you do if the contact does not have an area code on their number. But texting-wise, it's a no-no. The PERENNIAL problem arises when one, frustrated by getting "use a valid 10 digit number" error, manually inputs the phone number in question (along with an area code) into SMS.app. For that particular instance, it will work. But in the future, since the iPhone's SMSs' are threaded, whenever you hit that contact name in SMS.app and attempt to write out a message to them, unbeknownst to you, the iPhone is pulling the number it should use to text them from the Contact.app entry....That's right....The same contacts.app entry that DOESN'T have the area code. To make matters worse, even if you CHANGE the contact.app entry and add the area code, SMS.app will still be using the number (w/o the area code) in the future, causing you to still get errors. The only way to fix this is to completely erase the conversation with said person, add their area code in Contacts.app, and then start a whole new threaded SMS convo with them. Hope this helps.

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
Ok. This is happened to me and I believe I have figured it out. Please, if, after reading this, you have questions to ask me, post it here but please PM me and let me know you asked a question because I will not be checking back here on my own volition.

When you FIRST texted a contact with yours on your iPhone, you made the mistake of texting from a contact entry (in "Contact.app") whose number you did not append an area code to (probably because they live in the same area code you do). Phone call wise, this is not a problem as the iPhone assumes they live in the same area code you do if the contact does not have an area code on their number. But texting-wise, it's a no-no. The PERENNIAL problem arises when one, frustrated by getting "use a valid 10 digit number" error, manually inputs the phone number in question (along with an area code) into SMS.app. For that particular instance, it will work. But in the future, since the iPhone's SMSs' are threaded, whenever you hit that contact name in SMS.app and attempt to write out a message to them, unbeknownst to you, the iPhone is pulling the number it should use to text them from the Contact.app entry....That's right....The same contacts.app entry that DOESN'T have the area code. To make matters worse, even if you CHANGE the contact.app entry and add the area code, SMS.app will still be using the number (w/o the area code) in the future, causing you to still get errors. The only way to fix this is to completely erase the conversation with said person, add their area code in Contacts.app, and then start a whole new threaded SMS convo with them. Hope this helps.

sounds plausible

SheryarYO

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
just a wild guess, but maybe you don't have their number set as their mobile phone and instead have it as their house or work phone instead. i'm guessing the iphone wouldn't allow you to text to a nontextable phone number? i'd try it on my iphone now, but it's not with me at the moment.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006

My sister was having this issue and this solution worked.

Embo

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
problem fixed

thank you vegeta-San!! I had tried everything (apple store, AT&T store, new phone, new sim, it support, etc... This solution finally worked!!

Thanks again
-emily

alyakvaughn

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2015
I have this problem as well and have tried everything!!! Resetting my network settings, deleting and texting the contact, deleting and reading the contact, etc.

alyakvaughn

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2015
Actually, I am with that person I am trying to text right now. They do not have an iPhone nor did they block me. Any HELPFUL suggestion?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I have this problem as well and have tried everything!!! Resetting my network settings, deleting and texting the contact, deleting and reading the contact, etc.

Can they text you successfully, and if so, can you reply successfully?

This is SMS, as the other person is not using an Apple device. If nothing else works, you may have to contact your cell service provider.

Did your the person previously have an iPhone, and if so, did they de-activate iMessage when they retired the iPhone? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204270

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.