Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
So I've got my iPhone 3G and I've updated my Apple TV to 2.1 but when I go to set up a new remote on the Apple TV, 'add remote' is greyed out. Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong?

thanks

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
So I've got my iPhone 3G and I've updated my Apple TV to 2.1 but when I go to set up a new remote on the Apple TV, 'add remote' is greyed out. Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong?

thanks

I had that problem at first too. You have to have your iphone on with the remote app running. AppleTv will then recognize it. Then all you have to do is enter the passcode.

kevinbal

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Storrs, CT
I'm having this same issue but I think it is the setup that I have that is the problem. I've got an airport express hooked up to the airport extreme. I keep the b/g devices on the express and N only devices on the extreme. I'm not quite sure how to alleviate this problem at the moment.

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I had the same issue and I finally figured out what's going on.

Update itunes to 7.7 obviously
Update AppleTV obviously
Update iPhone/iTouch obviously
Download and install Remote app

Go to settings, general, remotes on the appleTV and then open up the Remote app on the iPhone and push settings on the App until you get to choose a library. From there everything should light up like a christmas tree. Mine is already working but you might need to click on Add Library to make everything light up. Either way you should get a 4 digit code from the remote app that you need to input into the AppleTV itself.

Kyle-N

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
tried it - still no good

I'm running into the same problem and tried your advice with no luck.

updated my iTunes, updated my AppleTV, updated my iPhone 3G, I even deleted and re-installed the Remote App, but "Add Remote" in my AppleTV's remote settings is "greyed out."

No problem adding my iTunes library, though. And, I tried adding my iTunes library first or adding AppleTV first. I tried every combination of opening AppleTV's setting then Remote App Settings, or vice versa.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Make sure you are connected to the same network.

Open up the settings on Apple TV first. Then open up the remote app.

Try rebooting both if still not working.

Monetthecat

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2008
Connecting by ethernet (cable?) works perfectly. I'm connected via ethernet and have no issues using my iPod Touch as a remote

rules909

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
Connecting by ethernet (cable?) works perfectly. I'm connected via ethernet and have no issues using my iPod Touch as a remote

Really? My Iphone remote can't find the apple tv when connected wireless. It works well wireless. Weird..

rules909

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
I would love to get it to work via Ethernet.
My setup:
Internet->Router(wired)->iMac->wireless to Iphone
->Router(wired)->Apple tv

So when I unplug the Ethernet cable from my atv and switch to wireless the iPhone remote works.

Help appreciated.

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
I would love to get it to work via Ethernet.
My setup:
Internet->Router(wired)->iMac->wireless to Iphone
->Router(wired)->Apple tv

So when I unplug the Ethernet cable from my atv and switch to wireless the iPhone remote works.

Help appreciated.

I know, i know, this is a very old thread but i'm having the same problem. Although my apple TV is on wireless and the remote app will NOT connect to it unless I put it on the network via LAN cable.

I have 2 appleTV's and one of them is on LAN and one is wifi. The one on the LAN i have zero issues with the Remote App. The one I have on wifi, i can't use the remote app unless i hook it up via a LAN cable connection. As soon as I disconnect it, it shows our iphones but the remote app won't connect to control it.

Anyone else have this problem?

jwcoleman

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
Same problem. Mac Pro ethernet, Apple TV ethernet, Airport express ethernet. Remote recognized itunes library and appletv before snow leopard.

MyMacDaddy

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Solved!

You have to go to settings in the Remote app on your iPhone (or iPod Touch) and Add Library. A series of 4 numbers will come up. This threw me because I'd just added a library which linked to my music library. I thought that it was prompting me to add those numbers again on my Mac.

But instead I went to the remote setting on my Apple TV and...lo and behold...it wasn't greyed out anymore. I just entered those numbers on the TV and it worked. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.