Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaiden

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Ok, so I know it's a pretty bad job, but I was just playing around in photoshop and wanted to know what you guys think. I've just realized I could've done it a lot easier though with interface builder. C&CC please

- Jaiden

Attachments

• gpsiphonewithmessage.png
    gpsiphonewithmessage.png
    276.5 KB · Views: 114

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I think having to touch OK everytime it tells you to turn somewhere could be a problem. There is no reason it couldnt work just like my in-car GPS does, or most others I believe that it just tells you via voice what moves to make and changes the street names at the top. No need for an OK prompt.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I think having to touch OK everytime it tells you to turn somewhere could be a problem. There is no reason it couldnt work just like my in-car GPS does, or most others I believe that it just tells you via voice what moves to make and changes the street names at the top. No need for an OK prompt.

Definitely. Google Maps is a case in point. Once you've added a route, it's painful to use the turn based system, as it's either
Turn by turn as a list
Tracking via GPS
or A map of the next turn.
What's needed is an auto change from gps tracking, to audio/visual indicator of turn ahead, then either a map showing directions, or a readable prompt.

An ok prompt would cause accidents. Going round a roundabout, changing lanes, turning off a highway onehanded? Dangerous. Much better to auto change

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
As someone who has been using both a Garmin and an OEM gps please let me assure you that in the real world, at high speed on complex freeways systems, turn by turn voice directions are far better. It is just true. You can do with arrows and such, but that means you have to look away from the road.

It it better to hear "take next right onto 1st Ave" than "take next right". There are often conflicts with several streets in short succession and you can do a better job of getting in the correct lane. Hard to explain, but it really is better.

paj

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
USA
Given that Telenav partner with AT&T for turn-by-turn on all their other phones, it's more likely to look like this.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Telenav is pretty decent. I went from a TOM TOM 910 to Telenav on my BB 8800. Its nice, though the traffic, at least in the DFW (Texas) area, is lacking. I disregard it most often, and turn off on frontage roads and let Telenav figure it out and reroute me. Lately though even Telenav has been slow or non responsive. The maps work fine, but the data it pulls will lag, or tell me it needs to retry. Its frustrating when your .2 miles from a series of quick turns, and it does this. This could be the internet access to the BB (Sprint), though while this is happening, I have gotten emails to the phone.

I use it every where I go, not because I lack a sense of direction, but because I am a road IT admin. I drive from clinic to clinic some I have never been before, others I goto weekly. But since I do not go back to "base" every trip, and some of the clinics are 30 miles apart from each other in random directions, Telenav is helpful.

Honestly, if the iPhone were to get Telenav, or something similar, I would look at it, but probably not buy it. Since I already have Telenav on my BB.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
The other problem with GPS & Google Maps is that if you go the wrong way, Google Maps "turn by turn" doesn't automatically adjust. You basically have to start over. A regular GPS nav system would do this.

Jaiden

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Yeah, I know the message wouldn't be that practical, I just put it in there to try it out, 'cause the actual gps bit only took like a minute or so. Plus, in my mind I was thinking 'you would need the message for the ipod touch, cause it doesn't have any speakers', before I realized that the iPod Touch obviously doesn't have GPS.

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
The 3G iPhone doesnt even have real GPS anyway..

Why would you say that?

It's using an Infineon Hammerhead II PMB 2525 as identified in the ifixit people when they took apart an iPhone.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/iPhone3G

Here's blurb from the Infineon web site about the receiver:

Hammerhead II PMB 2525 - the industry's highest performance GPS Receiver in the smallest package yet
Hammerhead™II delivers all the performance of its predecessor, while in addition printing a new benchmark for high performance Positioning & Navigation integration into mobile devices.
Using chip scale packaging (CSP) technology, its size (3.59 x 3.74mm2) now offers possibilities of integration into the miniaturizing world of mobile handhelds
Hammerhead™II integrates a high performance AGPS baseband processor and a low-noise GPS RF front end. It comes packed with new software features such as advanced multi-path mitigation that avoid large errors in urban environments caused by reflected signal in buildings and other structures

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Why would you say that?

It's using an Infineon Hammerhead II PMB 2525 as identified in the ifixit people when they took apart an iPhone.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/iPhone3G

Here's blurb from the Infineon web site about the receiver:

maokh has a point. Several of us had predicted Hammerhead II a few weeks prior to any launch of teardowns.
However, if you actually go to the Infineon site, check out the pdf there, there isn't that much on power consumption. No real stats bragging a X-fold reduction...

Still, It's fair decent. Can't complain about what they went with.

Jaiden

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
without popup message

Here's the same picture, but without the popup message:

Attachments

• gpsiphone.png
    gpsiphone.png
    298.2 KB · Views: 72

ATLChris

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I like you mock up. One thing I really hope they do is allow the map to turn automatically in the direction you are going. With th Maps app, you have to turn the iphone upside down when driving south!

I really hope we see something like this soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.