Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You can't. It's one of the many things Apple haven't implemented yet. You can only use the Bluetooth for headsets. Nothing else. At all.

Twenty5

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
nope. not yet... i heard about an app being developed that allows you to do so though...

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
The main reason why I don't think Apple will implement file transferring over buletooth is because eventually somebody will find an exploit enabling people to transfer music files held on the iPhone's iPod and this will spread piracy... SO NO....

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
And yet somehow they manage to sell tons of phones regardless!

Hey, it's the free market calling, it says consumers don't care!

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Well...

I'm sorry you're not pleased with your purchase... that is if you have an iPhone, but it's not like people don't know ahead of time (IF THEY READ) what all the phone can/can't do. The cool thing to me is the fact that certain things become available through firmware upgrades! Sure it'd be great if the iPhone did everything under the sun when it first came out but hey, you gotta pick your poison and roll with the punches! Now if you bought the iPhone and didn't do your research and you're upset that you can't send pics through bluetooth then it's your own damn fault... and we'd be calling YOU pathetic!

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
That is pretty pathetic. It amazes me the amount of really basic stuff the iPhone has left out.
it was well documented as not being able to...

The main reason why I don't think Apple will implement file transferring over buletooth is because eventually somebody will find an exploit enabling people to transfer music files held on the iPhone's iPod and this will spread piracy... SO NO....
that's what i think as well, also, to try and stop some of the bluetooth viruses going round (obviously they would need to be coded for the iPhone, but there are many people that have written both official and unofficial apps for the iPhone)

Archie-

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007
Now if you bought the iPhone and didn't do your research and you're upset that you can't send pics through bluetooth then it's your own damn fault... and we'd be calling YOU pathetic!

Only the iPhone can not do this. Why would some-one expect the iPhone not to be able to do what most dumb phones can do? Did Apple ad it to their adds?

Imagine the add : Here it is, the only phone that can beat the iphone... The iPhone 3G! Now with 3G and GPS.

In really fast voice:
Can not do turn by turn navigation, MMS, cut and paste, forward text messages, send pictures via bluetooth, cant do A2DP, cant be used to connect your tomtom to the internet, cant do voice dailing, with or without bluetooth and many other things your sony erricson walkman phone can do.

All rights reserved.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Guys and gals: Prepare for a whole heap of similar threads, as the fresh iPhone virgins discover what's missing, and let us all know about it. :D

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
Only the iPhone can not do this. Why would some-one expect the iPhone not to be able to do what most dumb phones can do? Did Apple ad it to their adds?

Imagine the add : Here it is, the only phone that can beat the iphone... The iPhone 3G! Now with 3G and GPS.

In really fast voice:
Can not do turn by turn navigation, MMS, cut and paste, forward text messages, send pictures via bluetooth, cant do A2DP, cant be used to connect your tomtom to the internet, cant do voice dailing, with or without bluetooth and many other things your sony erricson walkman phone can do.

All rights reserved.

That's actually a little funny....

I remember before the iPhone came out, this Mac video cutter was talking to me about getting one and was going on about Bluetooth and syncing. I told him, you know it doesn't sync via Bluetooth. He had this defeated look on his face. Couldn't understand how Apple spent all that time getting various mobiles to sync vis Bluetooth with Sync, but their own phone wasn't going to do it.

Now, I have a first generation iPhone. Not saying the syncing or some of the other mentioned "basic" feature might not be nice, but it hasn't been a deal killer for me. Still can't believe Apple didn't implement MMS and forwarding SMS in 2.0 to shut people up though.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs

In really fast voice:

All rights reserved.

How about this:

The iPhone 3g! Now with 3G and GPS. If you're too stupid to spend 5 minutes researching what it cannot do, it's your own stupid fault!

Archie-

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007
How about this:

The iPhone 3g! Now with 3G and GPS. If you're too stupid to spend 5 minutes researching what it cannot do, it's your own stupid fault!

If you buy an iPhone its your own stupid fault? Probably.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
If you buy an iPhone its your own stupid fault? Probably.

Hey if you're not happy with it, then yeah it is your fault.

Lots of people are happy with it.

If you or someone else is not, I'm not going to suggest you need to be happy with it or the features it offers, but it's not like they are state secrets.

Even if you totally forget to check, you can always return or sell the damned thing and move on to something you like better.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
it was well documented as not being able to...

that's what i think as well, also, to try and stop some of the bluetooth viruses going round (obviously they would need to be coded for the iPhone, but there are many people that have written both official and unofficial apps for the iPhone)

What??? show me the "well documented" not being able to send pics via bluetooth.

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
I agree with the thread starter in many respects. I knew the (lack of) features as I did a lot of reseearch/waiting for the iPhone. I love my phone and use it more than I thought - but some of the missing things are just stupid. Almost indefensable.

I still bought one though :D

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
What??? show me the "well documented" not being able to send pics via bluetooth.

In fairness to you Apple's own literature is strangely reticent on Bluetooth capabilities - a quick survey of their UK site found only "featuring Bluetooth 2.0" type statements.

In fairness to others, yes the OP could have spent hours searching the internet, but why should anyone have to do that especially as almost all mobiles for the last few years have had decent BT transfer capabilities?

Apple, whilst not being actively misleading, haven't exactly trumpeted the fact that they've chosen to cripple the BT stack on the iPhone in some (probably ill-fated) attempt to extend/preserve DRM.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
I'm sorry you're not pleased with your purchase... that is if you have an iPhone, but it's not like people don't know ahead of time (IF THEY READ) what all the phone can/can't do. The cool thing to me is the fact that certain things become available through firmware upgrades! Sure it'd be great if the iPhone did everything under the sun when it first came out but hey, you gotta pick your poison and roll with the punches! Now if you bought the iPhone and didn't do your research and you're upset that you can't send pics through bluetooth then it's your own damn fault... and we'd be calling YOU pathetic!

Umm thanks for your post. I guess I'm pathetic for wanting to send/receive pictures via bluetooth on my Bluetooth Enabled iPhone with built in camera.

It doesn't say anywhere on Apple's site that it can't do this.

When did I say I wasn't pleased with my purchase? I love my iPhone it's bloody marvellous and I'm sure Apple will add this, and other requested features at some point in the not too distant future.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Umm thanks for your post. I guess I'm pathetic for wanting to send/receive pictures via bluetooth on my Bluetooth Enabled iPhone with built in camera.

It doesn't say anywhere on Apple's site that it can't do this.

When did I say I wasn't pleased with my purchase? I love my iPhone it's bloody marvellous and I'm sure Apple will add this, and other requested features at some point in the not too distant future.

Um, how about where on the spec pages does it say it can do this? When did not saying it didn't have a feature = it having a feature?

Name a market where things are sold on what features they don't have, rather than list what they do have...

Email is the way to go at the moment, but it would be nice to have greater Bluetooh capabilities. Looks like they're keeping BT at bay, just like Adobe's Flash etc - Why would Apple ultimately want Bluetooth, when it can push Bonjour and wifi?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Whilst I would agree that the numerous limitations to the iPhone Bluetooth profiles is well known and it's reasonable to assume that people know about them they are pretty annoying. I suspect that the Bluetooth file transfer protocols may take some time to appear: Apple don't even let applications written using the SDK access to the filesystem (beyond a little area reserved for that application)! Hopefully over time some of the "standard" Bluetooth things we have grown to expect will be added. Sending pictures, sending/receiving contacts, modem (tethering) usage...

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Whilst I would agree that the numerous limitations to the iPhone Bluetooth profiles is well known and it's reasonable to assume that people know about them they are pretty annoying. I suspect that the Bluetooth file transfer protocols may take some time to appear: Apple don't even let applications written using the SDK access to the filesystem (beyond a little area reserved for that application)! Hopefully over time some of the "standard" Bluetooth things we have grown to expect will be added. Sending pictures, sending/receiving contacts, modem (tethering) usage...

What's the betting they'll eventually use wifi instead of BT? It's got a better range for starters... The chips and power consumption must be going down.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Hey if you're not happy with it, then yeah it is your fault.

Lots of people are happy with it.

If you or someone else is not, I'm not going to suggest you need to be happy with it or the features it offers, but it's not like they are state secrets.

Even if you totally forget to check, you can always return or sell the damned thing and move on to something you like better.

Too bad if you're stuck on a two year contract. :D

But like an y deive y' buy you ought to make sure it does what you expect beforehand.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
It should also be noted that development and licensing of Bluetooth is preformed by The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG), who’s founding members include

Ericsson Technology Licensing (founder member)
IBM (founder member)
Intel (founder member)
Microsoft (since 1999)
Motorola (since 1999)
Nokia (founder member)
Toshiba (founder member)

There is not likely to be much love lost between Apple and a number of these companies. I'm sure Apple doesn’t want to pay more royalties to them than they have too. (Or there may be other licence restraints)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.