Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do YOU use your MacBook as a "desktop"??

• Yes, use it in desktop mode

Votes: 65 36.3%
  • (Kinda) Yes, use both an external monitor/MacBook screen

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • No, though i would like to

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • No way! Its a portable!

Votes: 41 22.9%

• Total voters

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well

Just a quick poll because im just curious on how many people (like me) use there MacBook's in desktop mode or for those who don't know, use an external display, keyboard, and mouse with the MacBook lid closed. (also i use speakers but thats beside the point)

So i'm putting 4 options:

1: Yes, use it in desktop mode
2: (Kinda) Yes, use MacBook screen with an external monitor
3: No, though I would like to
4: No way! Its a portable!

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
Anytime I am at home I use mine at my desktop with keyboard, monitor(as second display to macbook screen) and mouse.

pbkiller

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Puerto Rico
PORTABLE......

I have a MacPro, so its always on the go with me. I use it mostly around the house and when i go to my gf's house.:apple:

scott85213

macrumors member
May 19, 2007
I haven't really used it as a laptop for a while. It just sits on my desk with a mouse plugged in, I don't use an external keyboard or monitor.

pattman247

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
yes I do, its an amazing desktop. I love the fact that when you plug it in it basically becomes a computer similar to that beige box sitting on the floor. It is like having two computers in one, one that sits on my desk till I need to go somewhere. I find that much better than backing up documents for two computers.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
In your terms, no, but during the summer months my computer almost never leaves my desk, constantly plugged into the charger (except to calibrate the battery), my TM Hard Drive, and the printer. So I almost consider it a desktop over the summer, but during the school months, my laptop is the absolute definition of portable.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
Def. counts. hah

I just didn't put pro since this is the MacBook forum:rolleyes:

anyway yeah it is a great desktop. I know a lot of people told me don't just rely on one machine for EVERYTHING...that was when i used windows :D (nothing against windows, but os x is just better for me at least as of now.)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I have a macbook pro, but I voted anyway. About 1/2 the time it's in my room, it's attached to a 19" monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard, and external backup drive.

And about 1/2 of that time I run windows on it:eek:

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
yes, with external mouse/KB/monitor/HD... until today! Today is new imac day!! :D

congrats!

If i had some enough money right now...i would def. buy an iMac. I would actually buy a mac mini if i had money LOL just so i can have a desktop and a laptop so yea!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Def. counts. hah

I just didn't put pro since this is the MacBook forum:rolleyes:

anyway yeah it is a great desktop. I know a lot of people told me don't just rely on one machine for EVERYTHING...that was when i used windows :D (nothing against windows, but os x is just better for me at least as of now.)

aahh i see, i didnt realise that i always thought that the notebooks were under the same thingo..

I have a macbook pro, but I voted anyway. About 1/2 the time it's in my room, it's attached to a 19" monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard, and external backup drive.

And about 1/2 of that time I run windows on it:eek:

me too :) got a 19 incher and a coupla HD's conencted via firewire, EyeTv and everything else to go :) theres a PC sitting under my desk but who wants to use that :rolleyes:. it basically keeps my legs warm.

patrickmacrumor

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Def. counts. hah

I know a lot of people told me don't just rely on one machine for EVERYTHING...that was when i used windows :D (nothing against windows, but os x is just better for me at least as of now.)

I'm among those who don't rely on only one computer. Although I use my MacBook almost exclusively, there are a few other computers around in the house that I could use, should something happened to my MacBook. The latter was a replacement from Apple. The original 1st generation was plagued with problems, although the screen was much better than the current one IMO. So, having been burnt once...I am more careful. Plus I really need a working computer all the time for my University part-time courses.

Anyway, back to the OP's question. I use my MacBook as a desktop 90% of the time, with a wireless keyboard/mouse, a Dell 19" LCD, and an external HDD. Having two screens to work with is great.

yes, with external mouse/KB/monitor/HD... until today! Today is new imac day!! :D
Lucky you...I would have bought an iMac instead of a MacBook if I did not need portability from time to time.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Mine stays connected all the time to either a 22 inch at home or a 17 inch at work.

I don't often use it as a portable, well unless i have meetings or something.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Same here.

Upgraded the HD and RAM. Works well for me.

ive still got the stock 100gb HD that came with it. its starting to go i can feel it (i know i spend too much time with her). probably gonna get a 320gb soon when they come down a tad more. i have tons of space at home, just not enough for when i go to uni and whatnot.

cambridge1807

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
I've recently just used my macbook exclusively after ditching my desktop. It was too much of a hassle to keep both files/folders consistent on my Windows desktop and macbook. I gave my desktop to my brother, and run my macbook with a 22" external monitor, bluetooth keyboard, and wireless mouse. I even take out the battery and keep it plugged in to save the battery from overcharging. Hopefully this method extends the battery life, but I also have to be careful not to touch the power adapter or else everything goes "poof".

One downside is that my macbook runs a little hot, as the lid is closed. I definitely feel heat on my wood desk. I guess turning up the fans wouldn't hurt every once in a while. It runs ~60 degrees C, not sure if that's about right though.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I've recently just used my macbook exclusively after ditching my desktop. It was too much of a hassle to keep both files/folders consistent on my Windows desktop and macbook. I gave my desktop to my brother, and run my macbook with a 22" external monitor, bluetooth keyboard, and wireless mouse. I even take out the battery and keep it plugged in to save the battery from overcharging. Hopefully this method extends the battery life, but I also have to be careful not to touch the power adapter or else everything goes "poof".

One downside is that my macbook runs a little hot, as the lid is closed. I definitely feel heat on my wood desk. I guess turning up the fans wouldn't hurt every once in a while. It runs ~60 degrees C, not sure if that's about right though.

i also use the take out the battery method with my MBP. it saves on cycles but it wont prevent overcharging ( mainly because it wouldn't overcharge anyway).

if i were you id use both the MB and the external because you get extra screen space. why bother not using it when its right there? it will also save on heat as well. 60°C is ok, mine running idle while open sits on about 55°C and gets to 80°C easy when doing stuff but it wont go above that. at your temperature it wont harm it at all so dont worry about it.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
i also use the take out the battery method with my MBP. it saves on cycles but it wont prevent overcharging ( mainly because it wouldn't overcharge anyway).

if i were you id use both the MB and the external because you get extra screen space. why bother not using it when its right there? it will also save on heat as well. 60°C is ok, mine running idle while open sits on about 55°C and gets to 80°C easy when doing stuff but it wont go above that. at your temperature it wont harm it at all so dont worry about it.

Apple suggests NOT taking your battery out. IT still saves cycles if you just leave the charger on with the battery in. Thats what i do and my mAH of my battery is like 5400 (started at 5020 i think).

And i sometimes use both the external and macbook screen but sometimes i just like having one screen and not having to look back and forth

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Apple suggests NOT taking your battery out. IT still saves cycles if you just leave the charger on with the battery in. Thats what i do and my mAH of my battery is like 5400 (started at 5020 i think).

And i sometimes use both the external and macbook screen but sometimes i just like having one screen and not having to look back and forth

this is one of the arguments ive had many times before, leaving the battery in will eventually use up power cycles and after 6 months that could lead to 30minutes difference in the future, id rather have that extra battery time so thats why i take it out.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
this is one of the arguments ive had many times before, leaving the battery in will eventually use up power cycles and after 6 months that could lead to 30minutes difference in the future, id rather have that extra battery time so thats why i take it out.

i do and works well

as for the battery thing, i will say leaving it in has saved me when i have experienced power outages

yossarian1010

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
Maryland
Never thought a "low end" laptop would become my desktop

In the end I voted for Yes. I use it in dual screen mode to maximize viewing real estate, but I haven't untethered from my Cinema Display in more than six months. The layer of dust accumulated on the MacBook is nearly as thick as the layer on top of the external display.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i do and works well

as for the battery thing, i will say leaving it in has saved me when i have experienced power outages

well thats up to you then i have my own opinion on it. we dont have blackouts here any more they have fixed the problems now so we are sweet. if we DID have a blackout it would only be when i dont have any work open anyway (the computer is just folding) so its sweet and i dont mind.

i just prefer taking the battery out for the extra cycles and less heat and therefore stress on the computer as a whole.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
im pretty sure they solved that once a battery is fully charged, nothing else will be taken in, keeping the battery health as it is. And ive done this for 5 months...im over 100% health? So im pretty sure it doesn't matter. Plus you lose your performance without the battery. Like if you have a 2.0GHZ machine, it goes down to 1.0GH with the battery out (read it somewhere on Apple.com)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.