Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asdfTT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
I'm considering purchasing one for a friend. The phone is on 1.1.4 FW and has yet to be unlocked. The person on the forum has good feedback and he says the phone is in pristine condition in exception of a tiny scratch right by the speaker at the top, though barely noticeable. He's also including a silicon case and 3-4 screen protectors. Is it worth it at this price? If something like this was on ebay, how much would it go for? Should I pick this up for my friend? Thanks.

robd54

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, $300 would be a bargain. I had a MINT 1st Gen 8GB that was still in the protective wrap as I got a warranty exchange (rebooted all the time). Got it swapped as I was going to give it to my wife, but she wanted to keep her Curve. I sold it locally on Craigslist for $325 and know I could've gotten alot more on eBay.

NiroshanMan

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
damnit i wish i sold mine on craigslist, there are a lot of better deals on there than on ebay cause peopel don't know much. i posted on craigslist only realizing after i had posted it on ebay, the craigslist post had not actually been posted, so i was puzzled at why i didn't get any replies! oh well i sold mine in perfect condition for $385 when i bought it for $350 refurb, i definitley could have sold it for more.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I'm considering purchasing one for a friend. The phone is on 1.1.4 FW and has yet to be unlocked. The person on the forum has good feedback and he says the phone is in pristine condition in exception of a tiny scratch right by the speaker at the top, though barely noticeable. He's also including a silicon case and 3-4 screen protectors. Is it worth it at this price? If something like this was on ebay, how much would it go for? Should I pick this up for my friend? Thanks.

Yes $300 is a "fair" market price for the iPhone (first gen) that's in good condition.

I sold one of my iPhone (mint) with the original accessories for $325 3 months ago and I also sold my brother's (mint) just the phone (without headphones/charger/doc) for $275.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a mint condition iPhone with accessories.

I've had so many phone calls when I posted my brother's iPhone (advertised for $275) (without any original accessories) from craigslist. I got 50 text messages, 30 emails, and numerous phone calls inquiring about the phone within 2 hours of posting it.

Some people are greedy, I've seen the same ads re-posted on craigslist from people trying to sell their iPhone (first gen) for $450-500 (8GB). Depends if you want to sell fast and how much is making $50-100 extra to you. Some idiots are still trying to sell their iPhone with cracks on the screen for $300. Who would want to pay $300 for a used cracked screen iphone first gen?

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yes $300 is a "fair" market price for the iPhone (first gen) that's in good condition.

I sold one of my iPhone (mint) with the original accessories for $325 3 months ago and I also sold my brother's (mint) just the phone (without headphones/charger/doc) for $275.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a mint condition iPhone with accessories.

I've had so many phone calls when I posted my brother's iPhone (advertised for $275) (without any original accessories) from craigslist. I got 50 text messages, 30 emails, and numerous phone calls inquiring about the phone within 2 hours of posting it.

Some people are greedy, I've seen the same ads re-posted on craigslist from people trying to sell their iPhone (first gen) for $450-500 (8GB). Depends if you want to sell fast and how much is making $50-100 extra to you. Some idiots are still trying to sell their iPhone with cracks on the screen for $300. Who would want to pay $300 for a used cracked screen iphone first gen?

Well, I hate to bust your bubble, but you don't have to try that hard to get your iPhone to sell for that much... I just sold a scratched and dented one on ebay for $395. Am I an idiot because someone was willing to pay that much?

NiroshanMan

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Well, I hate to bust your bubble, but you don't have to try that hard to get your iPhone to sell for that much... I just sold a scratched and dented one on ebay for $395. Am I an idiot because someone was willing to pay that much?

damnit i wish i could have sold mine for that much! i kept mine in prestine condition and only had it for several weeks, never used the dock, the headphones or the cable, unlocked and everything even with the screen protector that came with the iPhone when i got it!

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
damnit i wish i could have sold mine for that much! i kept mine in prestine condition and only had it for several weeks, never used the dock, the headphones or the cable, unlocked and everything even with the screen protector that came with the iPhone when i got it!

I had all that and the saran wrap on the box still! I am so careful to keep these products in good shape becuase there is a 95% chance they will have a new home within 2 years.

Oct 31, 2005
I just sold my 1 gen iPhone for 360 on ebay :) Mine has a dent and a few scratches, although the screen is in perfect condition.

I started the auction at $1 with no reserve price.

maximus06

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Bought my iphone on craigslist a few weeks ago, $330 CAD.

Screen/front in mint condition, back metal part has a few scratches/dents.

I think it was worth it :p

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado

I sold my 6 month old nearly perfect condition with all accessories except ear phones for $375 on eBay. Your $300 is way too low.

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
I also see that too now! Ugggghhh I know better than to use the word you're instead of your. I'm going back to bed. :mad:

lmfao, I am going to hijack this thread by mentioning that changing it to "you're" causes the statement to make even less sense. How about "$300 is a super low price to pay" :p

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

Congrats on selling your less than optimal condition iPhone on ebay for that price.

I guess there are a lot of misinformed people out there. I see people advertise ATT Go Phones for $80 on craigslist when you can just go into Best Buy and buy the same phone for $40 brand new.

jeraldobunkster

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
I just bought a brand new iphone 1st gen 8GB on craigslist for $280 last week, but those deals dont come around to often, so I had to jump on it. The guy got it for free for buying a Ford Fusion, and I got a good deal on a new iPhone!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I just sold my 10 month old 4GB iPhone for £205 ($390) so 300 is definitely a good deal

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Congrats on selling your less than optimal condition iPhone on ebay for that price.

I guess there are a lot of misinformed people out there. I see people advertise ATT Go Phones for $80 on craigslist when you can just go into Best Buy and buy the same phone for $40 brand new.

Yeah, I was more going for the fact that you said the sellers were the idiots, when it is at the very least the other way around. ;)

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
You know there are greedy people out there and fair people. $300 seems like a fair price to me. I have 3 friends who had a 1st gen iphone, and they gave them away to friends or relatives when they got their new iPhone. I think that's pretty nice for someone to give the iPhone to someone else, and it seems like a lot of people are doing that. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.