Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maximono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
According to the mac MacRumors buyers guide the mac pro is approaching end of cycle, but I'm looking to buy a new one pretty soon, at least before november. Is anyone aware of a new Xeon chip coming out or any reason to believe an update to the Mac Pro will be out soon? Do you think they might also drop the price, as that would help loads too.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Maximono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Really? What makes you think this? Can u elaborate further?

Thanks

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Really? What makes you think this? Can u elaborate further?

Thanks

If you search this forum for Nehalem you will find more information. Apple aren't likely to do anything with the Mac Pro until they put Nehalem in and that is unlikely to be before January.

Maximono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Yea reading about it doesn't seem like the mac pro class of chip will get here before Q2 2009. Anything think something else might happen sooner?

iJasonY

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
I was going to ask this exact same question? Is there any reason not to buy one right now? I would think that the existing 8-core machines with 4GB or more of RAM would be enough to last for a while.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I read several postings that the new Mac Pro won't appear until January. However, I heard that Nehalem would be out in October. Why there is a time gap? Do you expect that we can build or buy a Nehalem PC in October?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I read several postings that the new Mac Pro won't appear until January. However, I heard that Nehalem would be out in October. Why there is a time gap? Do you expect that we can build or buy a Nehalem PC in October?

I expect Nehalem PCs to be available for configuration within days of release and shipping several weeks later.

A Nehalem Mac Pro in standard configuration would ship on release day.

Apple waited two months to release the Penryn Mac Pros after the Penryn Xeon release.

So if you go by the grossly optimistic October Gainestown release, then the Tuesday before MacWorld 2009 sounds pretty good.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I'm under the impression Gainestown is already late. :rolleyes: :(
So October may be realistic this time. ;) :p

Maximono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
They won't use Beckton.

The Tuesday before MacWorld we'll see Nehalem Mac Pros. No sooner.

What makes you think they won't use Beckton? Apple have stuck with FB-DIMM using systems since the first mac pro and I can't see any reason for them to change that now. Plus judging from what I read these will be 8 core chips, so that gives the mac pro potential for up to 16 cores, meaning something to actually upgrade for. I can't see apple not using Beckton's, it makes the most sense.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
The Mac Pro was updated January 2008. Before that, it languished for 518 days without an update. I wouldn't expect any Mac Pro updates until at least after Macworld 2009.

If you're holding off on buying a Mac Pro until Nehalem, etc, be prepared to be in it for the long haul. I waited a little over a year for the Jan. 08 update.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
What makes you think they won't use Beckton? Apple have stuck with FB-DIMM using systems since the first mac pro and I can't see any reason for them to change that now. Plus judging from what I read these will be 8 core chips, so that gives the mac pro potential for up to 16 cores, meaning something to actually upgrade for. I can't see apple not using Beckton's, it makes the most sense.

I look into your eyes and see a younger, more naïve me...

And you can look at my past posts and see that I used to think like that.

Beckton is only cost-effective with four processors. Beckton with four processors will START at around $3,000. Having to buy FOUR DDR3 FB-DIMMs at once is not practical for most people.

They're either using Gainestown or they're killing the Mac Pro (with Beckton).

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
With what is known, it would seem extremely unlikely the MacPro will be updated before the end of the year. Obviously, none of us know that for a fact, but if you need to buy before November, there doesn't seem to be any reason not to buy now.

Besides, the present 8-core MacPro is one heck of a machine and will not become obsolete when the next gen version is released. It will be a very powerful machine for years to come.

indiochano

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008

as Tallest Skill said, it wouldn't make any sense for Apple to go towards the beckton path... more so as FB-DIMMs are a hassle...

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008

I remember that. :p

I agree that January is a likely timeframe. November is too early, Apple doesn't update their Macs in December, February is a bit late, and March and beyond is too late.

It appears that Apple is taking a yearly (or longer) upgrade cycle for the Mac Pros.

Mid 2006: Woodcrest
Early 2008: Harpertown
Early 2009: Gainestown
Early 2010: Westmere
Early 2011: Sandy Bridge

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
According to the mac MacRumors buyers guide the mac pro is approaching end of cycle, but I'm looking to buy a new one pretty soon, at least before november. Is anyone aware of a new Xeon chip coming out or any reason to believe an update to the Mac Pro will be out soon? Do you think they might also drop the price, as that would help loads too.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hmm.. IF your using the system for work and your being paid for the job, then you can buy now. However, if your using it for home.. and there;s no urgency. Perhaps you can wait a while - though you might be in for a long wait.

Maximono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008

Beckton is only cost-effective with four processors. Beckton with four processors will START at around $3,000. Having to buy FOUR DDR3 FB-DIMMs at once is not practical for most people.

They're either using Gainestown or they're killing the Mac Pro (with Beckton).

Where do you get your info about price for a yet unreleased CPU? If thats the case then I guess it'll mark a change in the mac pro's by killing off FB-DIMM's. I guess this still means expensive (ish) ram if apple stick with EEC ram but make it DDR3, I can't seem them just throwing EEC ram out the window for those who rely on the extra stability of it.

I guess macRumors need to sort there buyers guide out because it's awefully misleading say the Mac Pro is approaching end of cycle when clearly it's got months left. I'll probably put my order in now then, it's only for personal use and I agree it would be more than enough power for a long time to come.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Where do you get your info about price for a yet unreleased CPU?
Wikipedia, its sources, and other sources as needed.

If thats the case then I guess it'll mark a change in the mac pro's by killing off FB-DIMM's.
The Power Macs did not use FB-DIMMs. The Mac Pro's use of FB-DIMMs is the exception not the rule.

I guess this still means expensive (ish) ram if apple stick with EEC ram but make it DDR3, I can't seem them just throwing EEC ram out the window for those who rely on the extra stability of it.
There's ECC DDR3.

I guess macRumors need to sort there buyers guide out because it's awefully misleading say the Mac Pro is approaching end of cycle when clearly it's got months left.
The Buyer's Guide averages past release cycles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.