Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRiseofTheFal

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Lexington
Hey there,

I've got the original iPhone and I just recently noticed that if one of the speakers is covered no noise comes out. When the other speaker is covered it sounds fine. Is one of the speakers broken (which I think it is) and should I go get it replaced, mind you its one of the original iPhones

-Matt

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Please read the FAQ next time before posting.

The is only one speaker on the iPhone (both kinds).

The other grill is the Microphone for phone calls.

TEG

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Apart from the earpiece on the front of the phone there is only one speaker at the bottom of the iPhone. The other opening which looks the same is the microphone.

Matt

treichert

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Aachen, Germany
well i think this could porpably due to the fact that the iPhone only has one speaker :p

on the lower left it's the speaker and on the lower right the microphone is located;)

galactic732

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
i think your problem might be because you only have one speaker.

the other one is a mic.

but thats just a guess :D

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
Everytime someone asks about the speakers on the iPhone Steve Jobs eats a cute cuddley fluffy animal...

Your kid brother/sisters pet gerbil is next!

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
We need a good number of new stickies, such as...

There is only one speaker.
The iPhone will not work with CDMA/iDEN networks like Verizon, Sprint, Nextel, Alltel...

Any other ones?

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
The speaker's fine, it's just that he probably has MMS turned on and it's blocking the sound from properly flowing through one of the speakers.

;)

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
My left side speaker (camera side) doesn't work either....bump.
By "doesn't work" I mean as a speaker, it works great as a mic! WO0T!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.