Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
LOL, it just occured to me that y'all ride a lot of fixies.

To each his own.
Hipsters.

Jerk.
Now that I am facing a longer commute, I'm going to put that flip-flop hub to use and stick a freewheel on my commuter bike. My IRO will stay fixed, since it's a lot more fun that way!

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Jerk.
Now that I am facing a longer commute, I'm going to put that flip-flop hub to use and stick a freewheel on my commuter bike. My IRO will stay fixed, since it's a lot more fun that way!

Meh, sounds good.

How much does that sucka weigh?

EDIT: By the way, all who are interested, here's my project bike, a 2003 Specialized Enduro. I'm going to make this into something like a dual-suspension urban and dirt jumper.

Attachments

• IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    761.5 KB · Views: 224

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
The IRO is around 13-14lbs, which is damn light. I'm amazed that it feels lighter than my Fuji road bike that's half carbon and aluminum, since the IRO is all steel. My commuter on the other hand is an old Schwinn World Sport, so it weighs quite a bit more, though not too much still.

I never really got into mountain biking, though you seem to have some nice bikes. I'm more of a bikes for daily use kinda guy.

Emulsion

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Does anybody know where I could get a clip for my bike that holds my iPhone/iPod Touch? I would like it to allow me to control the screen/see whats on it. It would be nice to follow the GPS or watch a podcast when I'm biking.

Shut up its not dangerous.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
The IRO is around 13-14lbs, which is damn light. I'm amazed that it feels lighter than my Fuji road bike that's half carbon and aluminum, since the IRO is all steel. My commuter on the other hand is an old Schwinn World Sport, so it weighs quite a bit more, though not too much still.

I never really got into mountain biking, though you seem to have some nice bikes. I'm more of a bikes for daily use kinda guy.

What's cool about mountain biking is it's a "harden the F up and deal with it" sport.

I bike about, eh..... 4 miles a day on the road on my 48 pound Azonic.

I was thinking, "OMGBBQ HOWZ DO I MAEK IT LIEGHTR" but then I just dealt with it. :p

Although I'm kinda glad people are riding fixies - like the non-fruity road bike. :D

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I didn't even see this thread. I picked up this bike a little over a month ago. It's a TREK 4300 Disc. I ride about 5 miles daily on the road up to school and back, then to work and back. It's not bad, but I wish I could spend a lot more on a decent mtn bike. We have some killer terrain around here, but it seems the only bikers I know are roadies. Too bad for them.

Oh, and I love the looks of that bike you got there iMpathetic. Very nice!

attachment.php

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I didn't even see this thread. I picked up this bike a little over a month ago. It's a TREK 4300 Disc. I ride about 5 miles daily on the road up to school and back, then to work and back. It's not bad, but I wish I could spend a lot more on a decent mtn bike. We have some killer terrain around here, but it seems the only bikers I know are roadies. Too bad for them.

Oh, and I love the looks of that bike you got there iMpathetic. Very nice!

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=121440&d=1214586395

Thanks! :D Believe me, I know how it feels to not have anybody interested in MTBing. the only person I know who is interested in freeride/hucks/DH is one of my best friends, so we just session every day cause it's the summer. Not bad but I wish there was more of a "group ride" feel.

What I would do is sell the 4300 for like $400 if you can, and then look on your local Craigslist for a decent used bike - a hardtail or an older fully.
that's a nice ass bike man, how much did it run you?

Thanks! It ran $3072 when built a little over three years ago, but I traded my freshly built quad-core PC for it. I must say, it's a beast, but I think I went astray and bought WAAAAAYYYY too much bike. I'm thinking of selling it to buy a Transition Bottlerocket or something.

EDIT: Oh, and that was a crappy picture that the previous owner took. Here's a better one.

rm2n7k.jpg

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
What I would do is sell the 4300 for like $400 if you can, and then look on your local Craigslist for a decent used bike - a hardtail or an older fully.

I just bought the 4300 for $450 (tax included) a month ago. It's an ok bike, but I want something with full susp. I didn't want to spend more on a bike than what I could save up by not driving for the summer. I figured this was about the highest I could spend without it being too ridiculously expensive. I'll keep it for a few years until I can upgrade.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Not sure this has already been posted elsewhere but seeing as you lot are into bikes did any of you know the world record for cycling round the world was beaten last month ?? 18.297miles in 194 days by a mark beaumont, beat that

Samarium

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2008
@ home.
Schwinn Mesa GS. I go Mountain Biking here.

Attachments

• gorsko.kolo.schwinn.mesa.gs.2007.jpg
    gorsko.kolo.schwinn.mesa.gs.2007.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 148

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
01010401150701040520080fl2.jpg

Just put a new selle italia saddle on today, and bought new shimano calipers which are in the mail.

Came with new tires when I bought it, and the wheels are in great condition. Only major thing is the derailleur is out of alignment, causing the chain to drag along it. Should be easy enough to fix. Rides great.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is a Schwinn World Traveler.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Intimidated, eh?

I just don't see the point of riding on the road from point A to point B without dropping off or jumping onto things or riding singletrack along the way.

Although, I took my first baby cranks on clipless roadie pedals the other day. :eek:

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
EDIT: Oh, and that was a crappy picture that the previous owner took. Here's a better one.

Much better picture. :) I wouldn't mind having something like that for banging around the trails. BTW, I just finished watching "Breaking Away" Haven't seen that movie in a looong time.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
here is a picture of mine from today. don't think i've posted since i got new bars. next up on the list is probably some new rims, maybe going down to 15t from 16. and the rear brake is probably going soon too.

Attachments

• IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 184
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.