Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watermelon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Hey,
I have 3 way calling in my plan, but when I click merge calls they don't merge into one call, even after the person has picked up?
Thanks!

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I would make an appointment with the Genius bar, because that's something that's easy to demonstrate. If it's a problem with the phone, they'll replace it. If you're doing something wrong, they'll explain it.

tjespo22

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Staten Island NY
try restarting the phone? i used to make 3 way calls all the time but once in a while it would just not work. try restarting your phone.

narjise

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
Same Pb Here!

Hey,
I have 3 way calling in my plan, but when I click merge calls they don't merge into one call, even after the person has picked up?
Thanks!
I have exact same problem as you said.
Problem is when you merge 2 parties into one; it is either you hear nothing at all from both parties, or you only can talk to 1 person putting the other person on hold.
I called at&t 10 times to find a solution, still no go.
Talking to a service representatives did not help much. They just remove 3 way call feature and put it back on to yyour account from their at&t system, or they suggest power cycle the phone, or call apple.(duh!) At times, it worked momentarily then voila, the same problem.:mad:
Then I talked to a tech support, I do not know what it is called but the tech disconnected my iPhone 3g from the network and reconnected it. She said this process is different from partial remove/add features that customer support rep did, it was rather total reset from the network.
Right after the talk with tech support, I was able to connect & merge 3 people together that I could not before. :cool: Next day, I tried three way calling for the same 3 people but it did not work ever since. :eek:
I test called three way call today, calling 611 and Apple iPhone support number 800-694-7400 , and it works!. :confused: However, problem still exists when I try to connect my friends, the same 3 people mentioned above. :mad: What gives?
Does the problem have something to do with my friends' carriers? One has T-mo, the other one has Helio, and the third has vonage VOIP home service.:confused:
Please let me know what happens.:apple:

JWages

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Illinois, USA
I called my house phone and my other cell phone and it wouldn't merge the calls :( They all have three-way calling, so I don't know what is wrong. I'm going to call AT&T tomorrow and see what they suggest.

cambridge1807

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Mine works perfectly, even though I've only used it once. If you truly believe it doesn't work, take it in to Apple and see what's up with it. Maybe you have a faulty phone or aren't doing something correctly, which I highly doubt because it's so simple. :p

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Maybe one of the parties is a little nervous and hesitate to do something like this.

Ply them with alcohol and try again.

narjise

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
:confused:

Please folks, try three way calling with your iPhone 3G if you haven't.

So far 3 people in this thread reported problem with "merging."

Let's see how it goes. :confused::confused:

Ferrd

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
:confused:

Please folks, try three way calling with your iPhone 3G if you haven't.

So far 3 people in this thread reported problem with "merging."

Let's see how it goes. :confused::confused:

No problems here. I had 4 bars, and full 3G service.

Ferrd

sms0217ny

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
I've had the same problem, 3 way call works sometimes but most of the times i've tried it either no one can hear each other or you can only hear one of the callers, very annoying

watermelon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
wow i feel special that im not the only one with this problem!
Sometimes it will work BUT theres another problem even when it does work!
You know how when you call, lets say, a store, and It's like press 1 for blah blah...well when I press 1 for blah blah nothing happens, and the other party in the 3 way call has to press it :( ... if anyone else is having this problem?

But with the other issue at hand with merging the calls, I still have the problem most of the time :(

narjise

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
wow i feel special that im not the only one with this problem!
Sometimes it will work BUT theres another problem even when it does work!
You know how when you call, lets say, a store, and It's like press 1 for blah blah...well when I press 1 for blah blah nothing happens, and the other party in the 3 way call has to press it :( ... if anyone else is having this problem?

But with the other issue at hand with merging the calls, I still have the problem most of the time :(

I tried that dialing 611 and Apple support. When they both are connected tapping number pad did not work for me.
Three way call problem continues......

Folks, what are the carriers of your connected parties when you have merge problems ? :confused:

watermelon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I tried that dialing 611 and Apple support. When they both are connected tapping number pad did not work for me.
Three way call problem continues......

Folks, what are the carriers of your connected parties when you have merge problems ? :confused:

wow i feel even more special that im not the only one with the number pad problem now! :)
The carriers are verizon.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
I have exact same problem as you said.
Problem is when you merge 2 parties into one; it is either you hear nothing at all from both parties, or you only can talk to 1 person putting the other person on hold.
I called at&t 10 times to find a solution, still no go.
Talking to a service representatives did not help much. They just remove 3 way call feature and put it back on to yyour account from their at&t system, or they suggest power cycle the phone, or call apple.(duh!) At times, it worked momentarily then voila, the same problem.:mad:
Then I talked to a tech support, I do not know what it is called but the tech disconnected my iPhone 3g from the network and reconnected it. She said this process is different from partial remove/add features that customer support rep did, it was rather total reset from the network.
Right after the talk with tech support, I was able to connect & merge 3 people together that I could not before. :cool: Next day, I tried three way calling for the same 3 people but it did not work ever since. :eek:
I test called three way call today, calling 611 and Apple iPhone support number 800-694-7400 , and it works!. :confused: However, problem still exists when I try to connect my friends, the same 3 people mentioned above. :mad: What gives?
Does the problem have something to do with my friends' carriers? One has T-mo, the other one has Helio, and the third has vonage VOIP home service.:confused:
Please let me know what happens.:apple:

I used to have this problem but then it magically started working. Do a reset with the home and power keys and try it again.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
FWIW, I've been able to do this since 1st Gen. Actually, I've done 4-way calls a few times, and once a 5-way. It all still works on 3G.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I tried it successfully first try right after I got the phone. Haven't tried it since, with 2.0.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.