Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Has anyone got any suggestions for a decent quality consumer 4 port 10/100 base-T switch? I've looked at Netgear's stuff and it seems cheap, a bit too cheap to be honest. I just want a quick and dirty hack to get my network up to scratch and then I can think about a long term solution so nothing too expensive either.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I would get a gigabit ethernet switch. Once in awhile you can get them for $20 after rebate for a 5 port (1 up, 4 down). Typically around $40-$50

Note you need cat 5e or cat 6 cables for gigabit ethernet speed, and also you need RAID on both computer to saturate gigabit ethernet.

Currently $15 after rebate, not gigabit though. Should work fine.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203357327

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Has anyone got any suggestions for a decent quality consumer 4 port 10/100 base-T switch? I've looked at Netgear's stuff and it seems cheap, a bit too cheap to be honest. I just want a quick and dirty hack to get my network up to scratch and then I can think about a long term solution so nothing too expensive either.

They are cheap because they are a simple device. I think a four port 10/100 base-T switch is now just a single chip. For most people even a cheap switch like this is overkill and a simple hub would work as well. but with sweitches being so cheap these is nothing to be saved by getting a hub. Just get one from D-link, lynksys, netgear or the like.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
I would get a gigabit ethernet switch. Once in awhile you can get them for $20 after rebate for a 5 port (1 up, 4 down). Typically around $40-$50

Note you need cat 5e or cat 6 cables for gigabit ethernet speed, and also you need RAID on both computer to saturate gigabit ethernet.

Currently $15 after rebate, not gigabit though. Should work fine.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203357327

The problem with that is my current network is hardwired into the house (done before gigabit ethernet was common) and the house has just been decorated. I'd have to make quite a few sacrifices to rewire the network now (like my life :)).

Still, thinking of the future is not a bad idea.

They are cheap because they are a simple device. I think a four port 10/100 base-T switch is now just a single chip. For most people even a cheap switch like this is overkill and a simple hub would work as well. but with sweitches being so cheap these is nothing to be saved by getting a hub. Just get one from D-link, lynksys, netgear or the like.

Okay I guess I'll just go for the best value for money then.

The reason I ask is because my current network has a 4 port router (10/100 base-T) in the study with all the ports hardwired in. I have one ethernet port in my room but three devices (Mac Pro, OpenBSD box and Xbox 360) and want to connect the switch to that port to effectively give all three devices access to the internet at the same time.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I'd agree. They've all gone to SoC (System on a Chip), so just because it's small and light weight, doesn't mean junk. The three manufacturers ChrisA listed are usually quite reliable.
The problem with that is my current network is hardwired into the house (done before gigabit ethernet was common) and the house has just been decorated. I'd have to make quite a few sacrifices to rewire the network now (like my life :)).

Still, thinking of the future is not a bad idea.
Since you already have wire run, it's much easier to upgrade it. Attach Cat6 to the old stuff, and pull it through. Then terminate the new wire. That's the hard part. ;)

If you aren't willing to run wire, or have it done, you may want to go wireless. Depending on the cable lengths and if you can DIY the cabling and termination, this may be your best option. Not bad at $150USD. Keep in mind though, each device will require interface components. The XBox360 may be a problem. You may be able to combine this(Ethernet to USB device) and this(USB WiFi). (The XBox wouldn't operate at Gigabit speeds(100Mbps though), and will drop the speed on the other devices IIRC).

By the time you add it up, rewiring may yet be less expensive. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't quite understand the physical installation well enough.
Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The OP is talking about internet access for other devices. For internet access, rewiring is NOT necessary and will not help unless your package is more than 100mbits.

Gigabit ethernet wires is only useful if you are transferring large files betweend different rooms, and if the devices have gigabit ethernet.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The OP is talking about internet access for other devices. For internet access, rewiring is NOT necessary and will not help unless your package is more than 100mbits.

Gigabit ethernet wires is only useful if you are transferring large files betweend different rooms, and if the devices have gigabit ethernet.

To an extent anyway. This is all just a stop gap solution anyway until I can get a decent long term solution sorted. At some point We'll have to move to an ADSL2 router so that will most likely be the best time to sort things like that out. Ideally I'd like to make better use of the OpenBSD boxes.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
The HP Procurves have never failed me - well, they have failed on occasion but when they have, the warranty support has been decent.

The 1400-8G is a very cheap <£50 8-port unmanaged gigabit switch with a full 16Gb switch fabric.

Dabs in the UK has it. HP part number is J9077A. I don't have any personal experience of the unmanaged Procurves but I don't think they'd be hugely worse or anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.