Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Is there any sotware on a Mac to convert FLV to MP3. I know PC have one but what about the Mac?

Thanks

norz

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2007
Afaik all the apps listed above reencode the audio to save the audio as mp3.
iExtractMP3 however, claims and seems to extract the original mp3 contained in the flash file, which means there's no loss of quality due to reencoding.
http://osx.iusethis.com/app/iextractmp3

sheperdcohen

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2008
easy answer

there are at least a dozen websites that will do this conversion for free either by upload or from a direct link to a video online. my favorite is catchvideo.com. i often do this to make ringtones out of certain videos online.

puffkingjr

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
There is a much easier way

this is a LOT easier then you think just hold control button and click on the file then hit get info. Next go to name and extension and at the end it should say .flv
just click the end hit backspace and enter in mp3

a thing will come up click mp3 and boom its an mp3 file!!!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
this is a LOT easier then you think just hold control button and click on the file then hit get info. Next go to name and extension and at the end it should say .flv

Changing a file extension does NOT convert the file! I can't wait for your 2nd post in the forums, to see what kind of advice you offer next! :rolleyes:

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky

Wow, um... now I've seen everything. That's awesome.

dimonay

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
AudialHub can convert FLV to MP3 easily. And it's a bit more user-friendly than ffmpegx. However not free :(, but if you buy it, then you have a kickass audio converter :D.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

Awesome!!! i cant beleive its that simple? does this work for converting to MPEG too? how about if i just want a still image of the video can i just rename it JPEG? You must be an apple Genius, i thought you guys couldnt post here :rolleyes:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Changing a file extension does NOT convert the file! I can't wait for your 2nd post in the forums, to see what kind of advice you offer next! :rolleyes:

Let's be nice.

He would have been right if someone asked how to convert a DivX file to AVI. (Just rename the extensions)

puffkingjr

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
Actually it worked for me

actually it worked for me i downloaded the flv files with realplayer downloader
i changed the file extension and i easily added it to itunes and played it with my ipod maybe ur macs just arent as magical as mine so now i got free music:p:p:p

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
i just tried isquint, a simple but powerful utility.

that just turns it into an mp4 video.

then u gotta use quicktime pro and extract the audio. then export it. once its in itunes, convert it to mp3 because its in m4r.

Scubamike

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009
Using VLC to convert FLV to MP3

After much misdirection from forums I found this worked. It requires a double pass in VLC (otherwise it only grabs the first 30 sec or so) but it works fine after that:

Open VLC (which is ACTUALLY free, not like most quoted rubbish)
File>Open File
Select the file using "Browse"
Tick "Streaming/Saving"
Click "Settings"
Click the radio button for File and browse to make a working file "working.mpa"
Select Encapsulation "mpa"
Tick Audio in the third box down and specify ".mpa" and 128kps, channels 2
Click Ok and Ok (wait while it works)

File>Open File (the one you just made)
Select the file using "Browse"
Tick "Streaming/Saving"
Click "Settings"
Click the radio button for File and browse to where you want it and name it with ".mp3" on the end
Select Encapsulation "Raw"
Tick Audio in the third box down and specify "mp3" and 128kps, channels 2
Click Ok and Ok
Might need to wait a second while it does it's thing.
Now open the final file in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.