Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Musical artist, Moby, will be at Apple Store 'The Grove' in Los Angeles CA on Thursday, December 4th, 2003 at 6:30 pm.

Moby will be presenting a selection from his new DVD which features videos, live performances, as well as unreleased songs and demos.

Apple has previously coordinated larger musical performances at their local Apple Stores (Thursday and Thrice) and continues to blur the line between Computer company and Media company.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
If you think about it, it seems a little strange that Moby is at an Apple Store doing a promo for his new DVD.

I think it's a sign to come... more artists at Apple Stores... drawing different audiences then the usual mall folk.

arn

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I wonder if it's a way to promote FCP4 and DSP2.

One day Apple will probably get more in depth with music and the movie biz.

TomSmithMacEd

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2003
Fargo, ND
I'm all for it. Moby is good stuff. I'm sorry if I sound dumb but I had never heard of Thursday or Thrice so eh. Moby and Apple seem like they would go together well somehow.

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
Heh... I met the Wallflowers at the Arizona Biltmore Apple Store, but they were just shopping. They bought a couple of 30GB iPods, and a couple laptops, IIRC. "for the bus" ;)

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Sweet!

Totally Freakin Sweet!!!!!!!!
Too bad I'm in Wisconsin.... =(

To answer an above commercial, I know Moby was in the iPod introduction video, but I don't think he's been in an actual TV-aired commericial.

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
i wonder…

Lookin' good for Apple.

I was just thinking about other computer stores, such as the Gateway stores. When was the last time we say any big name performers rock out in cow pastures?

Sorry to go a little off topic, but Apple is more than just computers—it is a way of life.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
This is good news in general - but doesn't Moby live in NYC? If so, seems odd he would go to Cali to push the DVD, but then again, I fall asleep watching MTV Cribs sometimes, so I could be wrong :)

Sheebahawk

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2003
Long Beach California
Mobe

Originally posted by the_mole1314
*crosses fingers*Blue Man Group*crosses fingers*

This is really great news.

didn't they do intel commercials? just a big bite off the smurfs anyway

I really like the store at the grove, its good that a big name like moby is going to bring even more attention there.

This is good publicity, hope it keeps up and continues through 2004, keeping the apple brand fresh in consumers minds

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
This isn't much of a streach... since Moby is a Mac users...

:rolleyes:

I read something in MacAddict... or Macworld... probably MacAddict that said he liked macs...

And Moby is pretty main stream really... So...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I wonder if this will hurt apple's chances of winning a lawsuit vs. the Beetles' record lable (the other apple). I hope not...

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Re: Mobe

Originally posted by Sheebahawk
didn't they do intel commercials? just a big bite off the smurfs anyway

I really like the store at the grove, its good that a big name like moby is going to bring even more attention there.

This is good publicity, hope it keeps up and continues through 2004, keeping the apple brand fresh in consumers minds

Yes they are....

but they do use Macs in the Vegas show and on the rock tour. Their latest album, The Complex, was created on G4s.

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
Moby and Apple

Moby has been featured in several iPod/iTunes videos, and I think he had iPod/iMac stations set up on his tour.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Re: Moby and Apple

Originally posted by Edot
Moby has been featured in several iPod/iTunes videos, and I think he had iPod/iMac stations set up on his tour.

AFAIK it's just one video. The commercial I most remember Moby for, though, is the SciFi Channel where he kicks the tunes with the alien spaceship from Close Encounters.

bellychris

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
New Jersey
aparently lots of musicians visit apple stores

during the apple creative expo in nyc this year we decided to go to the apple soho store afterwards and fred durst was there. Im not really into his music but one of my friends got his autograph he was pretty nice. He aparently was buying some music software for his mac and a case for his 30 gb ipod.

LoopHoles

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2003
continues to blur the line between Computer company and Media company.

quite frankly, I think this statement makes no sense. apple does not own the copyrights to actual widely distributed media or make money off media content. tell me which media apple is receiving money for distributing? the media that comes from the "media companies" themselves thru iTMS (a little bit of $). on the other hand, many content authors, such as filmmakers, musicians, writers (e.g., coppola, moby, seal, aaron sorkin {created west wing}) are known to use macs, so there's always going to be that association.

yumpin yiminy

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2003
Yeah.
Bands do shows in record stores often. That really doesn't make the record stores media companies. But, who knows what might happen with Apple in terms of part of their future to get revenue streams? They just might become a media company of some sort.
Moby doing an in-store appearance ain't likelly some harbinger of that though.

Sigh.
OT: I do worry about the independent re-sellers and how they have to compete with Apple.
I also worry about every other company trying to steal Apple's thunder with iPod/iTunes of their own.

Oh well. Business as usual....

ddbean

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2003
Thousand Oaks, CA
Re: True Blue Switchers...

Originally posted by the_mole1314
Yes they are....

but they do use Macs in the Vegas show and on the rock tour. Their latest album, The Complex, was created on G4s.

So we should see a true Blue switcher ad featuring Blue Man Group? That'd be great (too bad Apple's dropped their switch promos).

24motion

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2003
That's cool for Apple but...

That's cool for Apple, Moby's is a good musician, but I just hope during his set he doesn't start spouting off about his politics... he's entitled to his own opinion, but I wish personally would hope he just sticks to the music... his website has been known to go on for days about his political point of view, which turned me off to listening to his music.

tsmit

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Thats great...

Thats great, I saw Tom Brady and Troy Brown at the Apple Store: Cambridgeside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.