Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Hey, I am looking for a Saturday job! I am 14 and I am in the UK! (I bet you never guessed that :p)

I dont mind if its not very well paying, I dont expect to make super serious money, as long as it is better than the £25 a month pocket money I get!!!

Anyone got suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Nope I would have guessed you were 14. :rolleyes:

If you are legally able to work then start hitting the pavement and fill out applications for retail shops. If you're not able to work legally then you have to do something that is "under the table". Mow lawns, wash cars, babysit (though all things considering maybe that is a bad idea), clean house, etc. In other words, manual labor that grown ups do not wish to do but wouldn't mind paying pennies to watch you do. :)

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
Hey, I am looking for a Saturday job! I am 14 and I am in the UK! (I bet you never guessed that :p)

I dont mind if its not very well paying, I dont expect to make super serious money, as long as it is better than the £25 a month pocket money I get!!!

Anyone got suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Rent, boy? rent out your mac accessories to friends and family to borrow or something.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Nope I would have guessed you were 14. :rolleyes:

If you are legally able to work then start hitting the pavement and fill out applications for retail shops. If you're not able to work legally then you have to do something that is "under the table". Mow lawns, wash cars, babysit (though all things considering maybe that is a bad idea), clean house, etc. In other words, manual labor that grown ups do not wish to do but wouldn't mind paying pennies to watch you do. :)

If you only work between certain hours yada yada yada then yeah you can work legally.

I went to Sainsburys and they said to go online and the site said for all their jobs you need to be 16.

I asked my local news agent and they said they dont have anything for me.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
You need to be 16 to get a job in the UK.

So right now you should be looking at something along the line of jessica's suggestions.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
do you have to pay rent?
Rent, Boy, Rent! Think about the Rent, Boy!

LOL! :p

I will never have to pay rent, when I leave to live on my own I will live in my DeLorean... Which coincidentally is the reason I wont be able to afford rent! :D

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
No you don't. You need to be 16 to get a full time job. It is perfectly legal to work part time from the age of 14 I believe (might be earlier than that even).

Nope, from the age of 13 you can work a certain amount of hours.

However it must be cash in hand and not salaried as you don't get registered for NI until just before you turn 16.

I didn't mean to imply you couldn't work at all (I thought that'd be obvious by mentioning jessica's suggestions), just that you will be extremely unlikely to get employment in any other setting.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
However it must be cash in hand and not salaried as you don't get registered for NI until just before you turn 16.

I didn't mean to imply you couldn't work at all (I thought that'd be obvious by mentioning jessica's suggestions), just that you will be extremely unlikely to get employment in any other setting.

I dont care, cash in hand is still money aint it!!!

There are jobs like the paper round that I can do! Also, I plan to look around supermarkets and paper companies.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You might be stuck doing a paper round, or if you have friends or families with businesses you could try them. I did a spot of summer work just building PC's backstage at my local PC shop, wasn't bad for pittance and I met some great people.

There are also lot of fences that need painting.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
You might be stuck doing a paper round, or if you have friends or families with businesses you could try them. I did a spot of summer work just building PC's backstage at my local PC shop, wasn't bad for pittance and I met some great people.

There are also lot of fences that need painting.

Hmmm... Some of my friend's family are mechanics so I could ask them, but I dont think I would get too far with that.

D'ya think I could do some sort of job in a Apple Store?

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
do you have to pay rent?
Rent, Boy, Rent! Think about the Rent, Boy!

LOL! :p

I will never have to pay rent, when I leave to live on my own I will live in my DeLorean... Which coincidentally is the reason I wont be able to afford rent! :D

Whoosh!

Bring back the Cub's 'Bob A Job Week'! Offer to cut grass, wash cars and so on. You'd be surprised by the number of people who would gladly pay you a couple of quid to not have do it themselves.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Whoosh!

Bring back the Cub's 'Bob A Job Week'! Offer to cut grass, wash cars and so on. You'd be surprised by the number of people who would gladly pay you a couple of quid to not have do it themselves.

Hmmm... I might actually do that! :)

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Ask around your Newsagents and local newspaper companies. I had a paper round when I was 14, it brang in about £50 a month depending on the amount of leaflets.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Ask around your Newsagents and local newspaper companies. I had a paper round when I was 14, it brang in about £50 a month depending on the amount of leaflets.

Yeah, my uncle told me he used to sell the Evening Standard and get about £60 a week! :)

Thing is, I just went on the site and it didnt say anything about jobs selling the papers or anything... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.