Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx181x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
curiosity here, i looked up a while back to see if it was possible to swap out the first intel processors with the newer ones the imacs are coming with. i found this info and mainly looks just as tricky as open heart surgery to risk my imac doing, and thats just replacing the processor itself. wouldn't it be easier to just swap out motherboards with the new processor already installed? assuming of course you can buy/find it like that, since the new intel chips are running the same mother boards

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Are you talking about an iMac G5 to Intel iMac upgrade?

Thats not going to work...

For an Intel iMac to Intel iMac upgrade, I don't know what else would be involved other than swapping motherboards. DOubt you can find a cost effective source for motherboards anyway.

I read about some Core Solo to Core Duo upgrade on the Intel Mac Mini, but nothing on the iMac's.

Not sure the iMac is really a good choice for this type of upgrade...

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
You either have a G5 processor or an Intel Processor.

There is no such thing as a G5 Intel Processor or G5 Intel
Macintosh Computer.

--Eric

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
i did find photos on someone upgrading the imac g5 first intels, removing the actual processor and installing the newer intel core duo. heres the link

http://www.maclife.com/article/create_upgrade_your_imac_to_a_core_2_duo_processor

but someone else told me the performance increase is really only 10-20% so it's not worth the processor swap

I think you are confusing the White Intel iMac with the iMac G5 - they look identical.

The CPU swap you are talking about is basically what I mentioned above with the Mac Mini...

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
If you have an iMac Core Duo, yes the processor is theoretically upgradable because it is not soldered in.

If you have an iMac G5 (PowerPC, not intel) it's a lot harder than that... harder as in impossible.

EDIT: It would also help if you posted the specs of your iMac.

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
If you have an iMac Core Duo, yes the processor is theoretically upgradable because it is not soldered in.

I had the original Intel 20" iMac (core duo) and almost swapped it out for a core solo CPU out of our first Mac mini intel system.

Why? Simply because I thought it would be hilarious and definitely the only one of its kind. Never got around to it though. :)

andyx181x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
sorry i keep calling it a g5 cause its the fifth generation, i haven't gotten use to calling it just intel mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.