Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itchster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Hi

Im typing up a math's assignment for well a math's course :p

But I'm having trouble showing squared and cubed numbers properly in pages, you know the numbers with a little 2 (for squared numbers) or a little 3 (for cubed numbers) and so on.

I was wondering if anybody knew how to type them properly or have I hit a dead end in this?

thanks

Itchster

itchster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Right I've actualy found out what it is I wanted to do, so I thought I would post the answer here for umm future reference.

What I wanted was to type in superscript to do this in pages its:

Format > Font > Baseline > Superscript

Hope that helps somebody else in the future!

Itchster

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Another way to do it, and for any symbol, is to go to:

System Preferences > International > Input Menu
Check the "Character Palette" to "On"
And also check "show input menu in menu bar" at the bottom

A new menubar icon appears in the menubar, mine is a British flag, the flag i think changes depending on your location.

Click on this menubar button and select "show character palette" and go select your symbol from a list of folders and lists.

This works with every text field (eg Text Edit, Pages, Word, Keynote... even this Safari MR text field... as seen below)

✔✭☼¥₰∏∆⨊⦿⧓∛√⎝⎬‰₂⁵⁹

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
Hi

Im typing up a math's assignment for well a math's course :p

But I'm having trouble showing squared and cubed numbers properly in pages, you know the numbers with a little 2 (for squared numbers) or a little 3 (for cubed numbers) and so on.

I was wondering if anybody knew how to type them properly or have I hit a dead end in this?

thanks

Itchster

There's no apostrophe in maths, just so you know. What kind of assignment are you doing that requires using Pages?

itchster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Birmingham, UK
There's no apostrophe in maths, just so you know. What kind of assignment are you doing that requires using Pages?

ahh right silly me :eek:

umm it does not require pages per se, its just that my draft scrips of my assignments tend to be well messy, so typing them up makes it easy to refer back to them, and easy for who ever is marking it :D

And its just a basic maths refresher course from the Open University, I'm starting a more advanced one that will lead to a degree in september

rdp5008

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Florida
if you take anymore math courses that require typing up assignments you should try learning LaTex using a program called TeXShop (or similar). It has a learning curve, but is great for math and producing large documents (ie: thesis).

A side note, why do you folks over there say "for a math's course" and we "say for a math course"? I had a British roommate in college and he never had a good answer for me.

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
A side note, why do you folks over there say "for a math's course" and we "say for a math course"? I had a British roommate in college and he never had a good answer for me.

Personally, I think we Americans are just lazy. "Maths" is far harder to say than "math". The original word is "mathematics", so it actually makes somewhat more sense to say "maths".

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
You can use Grapher to type in textbook-style math expressions. Then copy and paste them into Pages. I prefer this method when the expression I want to enter is more than just a few powers and roots.

Another way to do it, and for any symbol, is to go to:

System Preferences > International > Input Menu
Check the "Character Palette" to "On"
And also check "show input menu in menu bar" at the bottom
Regular option keystrokes will deliver quite a few characters.

Shift + Option + 9 = · (multiplication)
Option + W = ∑
Option + V = √ (superscript a number right before it for cube roots and higher roots)
Option + B = ∫
Option + 0 = º
Shift + Option + 8 = °
Option + / = ÷
Option + = = ≠
Shift + Option + = = ±
Option + X = ≈
Shift + Option + , = ≤
Shift + Option + . = ≥
Option + 5 = ∞
Option + - = – (minus)
Option + ; = …
Option + D = ∂
Option + J = ∆

I find them easier than using the Character Palette (unless I need something not in the above).

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I considered that method but dismissed it because I'm not sure everybody would understand its meaning
Anybody whos used any scientific or graphing calculator* would understand it.

Alternatively you could put a note: "'x^y' means x raised to the power of y."

* Well, most of them (some use textbook notation too).

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Never mind, I was thinking of the two-line display calculators. (In fact not all of them use "^," some use "yx" with x as a superscript.)

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
You really, really, REALLY want to learn to use Latex for proper maths papers. Trust me, the output looks great and it is actually pretty easy to use. It took me about 45 minutes to get a decent looking document together from scratch the first time I used it.

Download here. You need the package called MacTeX-20071201.dmg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.