Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhg247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2004
VA
I'm thinking of consolidating 3 old Dells onto 1 new tricked out Xserve running paralles server. But the one review of the product I found wasn't definitive as to yea or nay.

Is anyone here doing this? How well does it work? They're not super powerful heavy hitters. Just a file and print servers.

Thanks!

(I didn't really know where to stick this question so mods please move if need be)

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
We did look at it as a way of extending the economic life of the XServes after we've finished with them, and there's one running Parallels Server with some utility databases as a test. That machine is used for other things however and I don't know what the exact upshot was - but the guys who did the test ruled out deploying it for our usual suite of server software, which necessitated buying more Dells. I plan to look at it once again at a time closer to actually considering it for deployment, in about 2 years time - by then perhaps it will offer more compelling features.

Personally, bearing in mind the "enterprise support" that we get from Apple on them among other things I'd be more confident running on a Microsoft Virtual Server or ESX solution on a reasonable-spec Poweredge/Proliant.

Parallelogram

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
Hi,

Parallels here. Can I ask which review you saw? Maybe I could point you in the direction of another one to help (though not many have been done yet).

Also, feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have. I appreciate it's much more interesting for you to hear about other people's experience, but do let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks,
Parallelogram

Parallelogram

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
That would have the other one I would have sent. Hummm, I'm not really being very helpful. As I said, let me know if you have any specific questions.

We're working on some case studies, so I'll post up a link once they are published in case that helps.

Thanks,
Parallels

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.