Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
Hello, I recently finished building my B&W PowerMac G3. I looked across the motherboard but took a closer look at the "warrantee void if seal is broken" sticker. I looked near the white bar that the sticker was covering and saw printed on the motherboard that it is like a speed control: called "speed/clt." I was wondering what this is and if it can overclock the speed of my processor to make it faster. :apple:

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
After the warranty ran out, I managed to get my rev 2/350mhz B&W up to 500mhz.......but it is best if you try it in 50mhz steps, and check it for stability after each step. I remember being so thrilled at getting the extra speed for FREE :p

Just as a precaution, I added a small fan on top of of the heatsink, just to be sure it didn't fry itself. I ran it that way for 2 years nottaneveraproblemo.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
After the warranty ran out, I managed to get my rev 2/350mhz B&W up to 500mhz.......but it is best if you try it in 50mhz steps, and check it for stability after each step. I remember being so thrilled at getting the extra speed for FREE :p

Just as a precaution, I added a small fan on top of of the heatsink, just to be sure it didn't fry itself. I ran it that way for 2 years nottaneveraproblemo.

how important is it to have the fan. the heat sink doesn't have a fan: is it important to put one if i optomize the processor? Thanks
PS: nice signature

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
how important is it to have the fan. the heat sink doesn't have a fan: is it important to put one if i optomize the processor? Thanks
PS: nice signature

The PSU fan blows air over the CPU heatsink in the B&W G3 models, you don't need an extra fan, though I suppose it couldn't hurt. Not sure where you'd put one, though.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
The PSU fan blows air over the CPU heatsink in the B&W G3 models, you don't need an extra fan, though I suppose it couldn't hurt. Not sure where you'd put one, though.

yeah, i see what you mean. i clocked it up to 450 (from 400) im scared to push it any harder.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
yeah, i see what you mean. i clocked it up to 450 (from 400) im scared to push it any harder.

Don't worry, go for 500. You can't hurt the processor... it'll either fail to boot (no boot chime), freeze after a while or during startup, or run fine.

You can't damage a CPU unless you overvolt it, which isn't possible on a B&W G3 without a soldering iron (you have to desolder a few resistors).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.