Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Metuas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Under a rock.
I love the iMac G5 and Intel iMacs, both the white and aluminum ones. But I already have two wonderful machines, a desktop and laptop, that do everything I need. My question is, what would it take to get a dead G5 or Intel Aluminum iMac to be used simply as a monitor? Even if I do have to hack the thing apart, can I do it while at least leaving the front intact? (The back won't matter since it's an ungodly mess of cables back where my current ugly dying Samsung is anyway :p) Would I need to replace the LCD with a new one? Could I use the PSU to carry the power to the LCD or would I need a whole new way of connecting it to power? If it were to have lots of the parts removed, would it still stand up on its own?

I'm willing to go to reasonably far to get this to work. And if at all possible, it'd be awesome if I could get the iSight on top to work - any chance of that?

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
Bump...nobody has any idea?
Gutted G5/Intel iMac as a monitor?

Its not that its not possible, its the fact that NO ONE has ever done that. The LCD in the iMac G5/ Intel Mac have a special connecter that connects it directly to the motherboard. You would have to find a way to attach a small circuit board that then converts that small connector to a regular DVI connect. Also you would have to find a way to power just the monitor without powering the rest of the machine . . . which really wouldn't be that hard.

Again its just not worth the trouble unless you like a challenge. I'm working on my "unique" project at the moment that I have high hopes for being sucessful. I have never heard of anyone successfully doing this . . .

-iGrant

Metuas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Under a rock.
Okay...so modifying a broken, but mostly complete one would probably be more difficult than starting from scratch. Is there somewhere I could buy the shell of an iMac, and simply put an LCD in? If so, how would the DVI or VGA connection and the power connection work? Would I need to take this LCD from a working display, or could I get a panel only?

tigranes

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
17" imac (mid 2006) w/vertical lines -- anyone replaced this screen DIY?

i've got a mid 2006 17" intel imac (Serial #W8626...) with pixel-width vertical lines across the screen. today i got a 1.5" wide white vertical band. i'm pretty sure it's a display issue, since everything's crystal clear on the external monitor i hooked up. question: has anyone replaced the screen themselves? i know it's been done on macbooks and other generation imacs (i.e. G5), but i haven't found anything on the mid-2006 models. i'm out of warranty, of course, and would like to keep the clutter on my desk down--that means, avoid just buying another monitor and parking it in front of the desktop. also, how, if possible, can i tell if it really is the screen itself, without shelling out beaucoup bucks and multiple days to get it diagnosed. the diagnostic from the install CD told me everything was fine and i've tried unpluggind everything waiting 5 minutes and turning it back on to no avail.

sorry if this is too far off topic, and if so, could someone redirect me? i did try searching around, but this thread was the closest i could find.

many thanks.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
If you have to ask, you can't do it :(

It's these kinds of comments that stifle ingenuity. I asked about modding an Apple TV with an eSATA port and no one had the answer. So I did it anyway.

There you go.

Okay...so modifying a broken, but mostly complete one would probably be more difficult than starting from scratch.

If you have an iMac carcass but the panel is still good, what will it hurt to try? Get in there and gut the thing.

Just don't electrocute yourself or start a fire...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.