Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akaple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
The plastic piece around the dc jack is broken and blocking the power adapter from being able to charge. Is this piece required or can I remove it? Does anybody know where I could get a replacement piece?

akaple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
It's the plastic piece on the inside of the PowerBook, not on the actual adapter.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Is it the the one on the outside or one inside the round jack? Either way, it's probably going to warrant a replacement (generally a new logic board) as from my findings the power adapter port is finicky when if comes to when it will charge or just ignore the adapter.

akaple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Is it the the one on the outside or one inside the round jack? Either way, it's probably going to warrant a replacement (generally a new logic board) as from my findings the power adapter port is finicky when if comes to when it will charge or just ignore the adapter.

It's the piece on the outside of the round jack. I can't figure out exactly what it is connected to because I haven't pulled it all out yet. I think it's either the dc & sound card or just the casing.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
The plastic bit helps to protect the bit of metal around the plug end of the adapter from contacting the case, so I think its an essential part of it. Its likely no circuit boards need to be replaced (and if so it would be the DC-in board, not the logic :rolleyes: ) just the plastic bit needs to be reseated/replaced.

akaple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
The plastic bit helps to protect the bit of metal around the plug end of the adapter from contacting the case, so I think its an essential part of it. Its likely no circuit boards need to be replaced (and if so it would be the DC-in board, not the logic :rolleyes: ) just the plastic bit needs to be reseated/replaced.

Yeah, that is what I eventually figured out last night. There is nothing connected to it, it's just attached to the case. It is causing some major problems with me being able to charge though. Any ideas where I could get something like that without having to replace my entire bottom casing?

jaysinnva

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008

If it's not just the plastic piece, it should definitely just be the DC-in board. I had to replace this on my old 12" PB G4. It's a pain to get to (underneath the mobo on the 12"), but is only a ~$50 part.

akaple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
If it's not just the plastic piece, it should definitely just be the DC-in board. I had to replace this on my old 12" PB G4. It's a pain to get to (underneath the mobo on the 12"), but is only a ~$50 part.

It's just the plastic piece.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.