Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
self explanatory.. I've always wondered about this.

anybody know if I can do this?

For network access or local user?

For a local user I would create a password protected disk image ( *.dmg file) with Disk Utility . Works well. Looks like a file, but is really usable like a removable disk or folder. You can also set permissions for access via the Info box for the folder, though it has limitations as to the amount of access you can deny.

For network sharing security sharing is available under the "Sharing" icon of system preferences.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
ok thanks.. that worked

but now how do i add a password to the file.. as you said.

You do it when you create it. When you select the New Image icon, select encryption and pick the method you want to use. It will prompt you to create a password after you click the "create" button. Make sure you uncheck the "Remember password in my keychain" or else it will not prompt you for the password as long as you are logged in. Others logging in as themselves would still be prompted however. Once it mounts you will not have to enter the password again unless you unmount the dmg.

blinkgti

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Thanks!

this worked on my macbook OSX 10.5.2 (put in msg body for future search ref.) Everyday im learning about the cool stuff Macs can do. Thanks again!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.