Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
QuickPwn

WARNING!

Quickpwn also activates iPhones if you need activation

It will NOT unlock either phone versions although some people have said that the iPhone 2G does not get its modem updated - this is unconfirmed at this time.

iPhone 3G Modem IS UPDATED. If you want to unlock it DO NOT update it or you may make it not possible in the future.

Official unlocked 3G phones can update and jailbreak using quickpwn and keep the unlock.[/I]

Now Jailbreak 2.0.2 as well! See Below!

(Thanks to BigBoss for photos/instructions - I will update this as things change!)

WINDOWS only (Mac version coming)

QuickPwn is a command line based method for jailbreaking ONLY both the original and 3G iPhone as well as iPod Touch.

There is a basic GUI version now available - see below for more!

You do not need to do this if you already have a working, pwned 2.0.1 device.

This should eliminate many of those 160x errors many windows users are experiencing.

Who should use this tool?

This is for those that are not planning to restore. It’s not clear what the activation state is after the process therefore, I only recommend this for those that have a contract carrier or an unlocked phone already. This is also perfect for those that pwned and did not install Cydia as it will result in Cydia being installed. If you are on a 2g and need to unlock, you can do so with bootneuter, but this will not activate for you. If you are on a stock device and using AT&T or a contract carrier, this is the perfect jailbreak for you. You will not lose your contacts or have to do any backups. Finally, if you are going to restore anyway, especially if you need to unlock a 2g, you may as well use winpwn or pwnagetool.

Here are the steps to using the tool:

1) Download the tool http://xs1.iphwn.org/releases/QuickPwnGUI120.zip and extract it to a folder such as c:\quickpwn.

qp1.jpg

2) Download the proper firmware image such as 2.0.1 3G or 2.0.1 2G. Save this image in a place you can easily find it as quickpwn will ask you to select it when you run it.

You can download the firmware by connected your iPhone/iPod to iTunes and clicking on "restore" - itunes will download the firmware. Disconnect the phone/ipod when the download has started as you do not want to restore!

3) Hook your phone up to your PC and double click "Quickpwn"

4) Browse to the correct firmware and select it.

Chose if you want Cydia and/or Installer on your phone and if you want custom boot images. Just tick the boxes as appropriate!

qp2.jpg

5) You will see some stuff go by the screen like this:
Then you will be prompted to turn off your phone and press enter when you have done so:

quickpwn1a.jpg

6) As it says on screen, turn off your phone by holding power, sliding to power off, and waiting for it to power off. Do not take the phone off the pc connection! If you do, you must start over.

quickpwn02.jpg

7) In this next step we need to get our phone into DFU mode so it can be pwned. If you have any problems following the onscreen instructions, then refer to this DFU guide at http://sleepers.net/news/blank/dfu-mode/ .

The program will help you through the steps but it often takes multiple attempts to get into DFU mode. And, if you fail to get into DFU mode, the app quits and you must start over.

It will ask you to:

a) Turn off your phone.
b) Wait 5 seconds.
c) Hold the power button for 5 seconds.
d) Press the home and power buttons for 10 seconds.
e) Let go off the power button and keep holding the home button for up to 30 seconds.

quickpwn02.jpg

Read the DFU guide link on screen as detailed also above.

When you are in DFU mode, the app should automatically take over and you will see this:

Wait a bit for the process to finish, and congratulations! You are done.

The command line interface takes 5 minutes approx. before it is ready to interact with your iphone/ipod and it takes approximately 10-15 minutes to jailbreak.

It may be quicked than this - but be patient. When the command line part is finished the iPhone will show a spinning circle as it is still being jailbreaked.

Wait for the phone to reboot to the home screen before touching it!

8) Optional 2g phone only. If you need to unlock your phone, install bootneuter from Cydia and run it! Select “neuter, unlock, do not change bootloader settings, and then flash!”.

Troubleshooting:

1) If during the process you did not kill iTunes you will see these questions:

Is your device connected to your computer via USB? Type “Y” to continue.
Is your iPhone currently powering on? Type “Y” to continue.

If you see these questions it means that your phone is not being recognized by the PC. Remember you must have iTunes running and it must see your device. If you have to, close and reopen iTunes, disconnect and reconnect your device, or even reboot your PC. You should not see the above two message as part of the process.

2) When you turn on your iPhone, it does not have any display. Man, is it bricked?

This is probably caused by using an invalid boot image (logo.png) in the process. If you wait long enough the thing should boot up to springboard normally. In this state, you do not have any logo showing you the device is booting. You can fix it by repeating the process with a valid png file.

QuickPwn will be updated to work on Mac soon - and with options to add and remove different fuctions so be patient if these options do not suit your needs!

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Any thoughts on whether or not it is possible / easy to NOT replace the boot and recovery images?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Add it on

Why don't you add this tutorial to your Pwnage tutorial (Since that one is stickied already)?

Just change your tittle a bit. I think that should also help other wishing to embrace this new tool.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I would love to but I have serious space issues!

I can't fit anything extra!

I will msg a mod and see what I can do.

As far as the boot images - I am under the impression that as long as the png are the right file format and size for pwnage you can simply use those without any issues.

I am going to experiment!

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
The GUI version isn't really very different.

All it does is let you browse the IPSW instead of copying it into the quickpwn folder.

However it does let you add installer as well - which the command line version doesn't.

-------

If you want to keep the Apple original logos you can do this.

Open up the quickpwn folder.

Right click on the version of iphone or ipod you want to jailbreak and click EDIT.

The file will open up in notepad!

If you look down you will see a line that says: (below using iPod as example but with iPhone it is exactly the same!)

quickpwn "iPod1,1_2.0.1_5B108_Restore.ipsw" n45ap -b logo.png -r recovery.png Cydia.tar.gz

Just delete the -b logo.png -r recovery.png

So it will look like this:

quickpwn "iPod1,1_2.0.1_5B108_Restore.ipsw" n45ap Cydia.tar.gz

Then the phone will jailbreak and have the original apple boot and recovery logos.

You can also re-run it on an already quickpwned phone/ipod and it will simply change the boot images and nothing else.

You can also use this with already pwned phones but the command line version does NOT include installer.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
If you edit the batch file to leave the apple boot and recovery images the same, does this affect the gui version also? Or do we not currently know of a way to keep the apple images and use the gui version?

ps Thanks for keeping this faq / tutorial up to date!

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
The GUI version will give you the pineapple logo.

I had a look at it to see if there was anyway I could edit the batch file for that - but there are none - they must be contained in the GUI - meaning that we can't remove the custom logos!

The other way of course is to download a copy of the original logos in .png format and put them in the GUI/command line version but I was unable to find any.

I am sure they are around somewhere if you can be bothered to search for them!

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
The GUI version will give you the pineapple logo.

I had a look at it to see if there was anyway I could edit the batch file for that - but there are none - they must be contained in the GUI - meaning that we can't remove the custom logos!

The other way of course is to download a copy of the original logos in .png format and put them in the GUI/command line version but I was unable to find any.

I am sure they are around somewhere if you can be bothered to search for them!
Thanks for testing that. I guess I'll give the command line version a go later tonight or tomorrow.

dayloon

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
Stafford, UK
I have a couple of questions...On another forum i read this regarding the 2.0.2 jailbreak :

People seem to be using QuickPwn and a 2.0.1 ipsw to jailbreak their 2.0.2 phones. This may seem totally OK, but you are playing with fire here. What you are doing is flashing 2.0.1 stuff to the NOR on a 2.0.2 iPhone. Please also know that, on the flipside, you can't brick your iPhone. It is just a risky thing to do. Worst case scenario is you needing to have a DFU restore because you flashed older stuff to the NOR of your iPhone than what is intended to be there

Also, i tried this procedure earlier and everything was fine. It did put installer on my iphone (says it doesnt above) but it installer didn't work ! It didnt list any packages at all, even after i'd added in some more sources.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I don't see it as a risk at all.

I have not messed with the baseband or any un repairable part of the phone.

As you say if it crashes and is unstable I just DFU restore.

Which is exactly what happens everytime you use pwnage!

So far everything has been stable and I have had no issues.

And of course the beauty of quickpwn is that when an updated version of it is out you can simply re-quickpwn it and it will update the NOR parts from 2.0.1.

Remmeber quickpwn is still beta so it may not work perfectly.

It took me about 15 attempts before I could use it on my iPod as it kept crashing!

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
I have a few questions....

1. Is it possible to QuickPwn the phone and still keep all your setting ( contacts, pics, ect...)??

2. How easy is it to reverse this process and make the phone back to its pre- QuickPwn'd state??

Thanks,
C

dayloon

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
Stafford, UK
I have a few questions....

1. Is it possible to QuickPwn the phone and still keep all your setting ( contacts, pics, ect...)??

2. How easy is it to reverse this process and make the phone back to its pre- QuickPwn'd state??

Thanks,
C

1. Yes, quickpwn won't change anything - thats one of the benefits it has over normal pwnage procedures

2. Very easy - just do a normal restore in tunes

scotty21

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
ok, the description in the first post is as clear as i can seem to find but i'm still not 100% sure on what exactly quickpwn will do, and after my failed attempt with the pwnage tool i am a little hesitant. I have a first gen iPhone that right now is pretty much just straight out of the box. Firmware 2.0.1, and it's not jailbroken or unlocked. The only thing i want to do is jailbreak the phone, NOT unlock. So, my question is, does quickpwn only jailbreak the phone and not unlock it even on a first gen?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
1. Yes, quickpwn won't change anything - thats one of the benefits it has over normal pwnage procedures

2. Very easy - just do a normal restore in tunes

Thanks for the info...

But one more thing...

Can you still sync your phone / create a back up in iTunes when your jailbroken??

I'm only wondering because say... we have 2.0.2 now and then in September we have 2.1 and I wanna reverse the jailbreak and go back to my original settings ( all my contacts info.. ect...) to upgrade to 2.1

Can I do that??

organik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Just a note to avoid a BIG mistake I made:
if you have hidden things with bossprefs, like, I duno, installer and cydia - make sure you unhide them before jailbreaking. They will REMAIN hidden, and you'll be stuck having to restore. Was using Appflow with pretty much everything hidden, so after my successful jailbreak, my homescreen still looks like the default.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
QuickPwn ONLY jailbreaks the iPhone/iPhone 3G/iPod Touch.

It does not unlock either of the phones.

It does not activate either of the phones (as far as I am aware).

It does NOT remove any of your settings or applications or media.

It WILL give you custom boot logos unless you remove them as I detailed above how to.

You would have to do a full restore to remove the jailbreak and would lose all your settings and media - so keep that in mind.

It is NOT a good idea to backup or restore from a backup of a jailbreaked phone as the jailbreaked settings are saved in the backup and will cause buggy behaviour on the phone and may require a restore to fix!

My suggestion if your already jailbreaked on 2.0.1 or other is to uninstall all applications from cydia/installer and then re-install them after the update/jailbreak is complete. Likewise un-hide and un-install anything downloaded from cydia/installer.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
You would have to do a full restore to remove the jailbreak and would lose all your settings and media - so keep that in mind.

But doesn't iTunes after a restore ask you if you want to restore from a previous back up?? Couldn't you do that to get your settings pre jailbreak back??

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
But doesn't iTunes after a restore ask you if you want to restore from a previous back up?? Couldn't you do that to get your settings pre jailbreak back??

iTunes doesn't back up any of the jailbroken apps you installed via Cydia or Installer, nor any of the customizations such as themes, wallpaper, icons, etc.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
iTunes doesn't back up any of the jailbroken apps you installed via Cydia or Installer, nor any of the customizations such as themes, wallpaper, icons, etc.

Well yes I know, but what I'm worried about is getting everything Pre Jailbreak back... like contacts, pics and media... ect.

I'm just asking if after a restore to clean the jailbreak off the phone if you can get all that stuff back pre jailbreak as long as you had everything backed up...

boomersmech

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
San Diego, CA
Has anyone tried the 2.0.2 process on a OTB ?

!!EDIT

I also noticed a few people complainging about issues with quickpwn. I had issues at first but have been successful with several images. I make all my images 320x480 with only one layer then make sure I have one alpha channel (transparency) You have to use any pure black, so I use the magic eraser tool in Photoshop CS2 find some pure black somewhere and remove it...

Use the Save For Web under file.. Choose PNG24 and check transparency, works like a charm..

Attachments

• logo.png
    logo.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 153
  • logo_e.png
    logo_e.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 167

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Any thoughts on whether or not it is possible / easy to NOT replace the boot and recovery images?

Ya just put your images into the folder and overwrite the originals. Obviously you need to name them exactly the same though.

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
Has anyone had a problem with installer using this method ? I have no packages listed at all - even if i add more sources

I did quickpwn on my 2.0.2 phone last night (GUI version) and it worked flawlessly. Installer works, and there are a few packages to download, but not many. I haven't added any more sources yet though.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Remmeber that with quickpwn all your settings and media/data stay on the phone - it simply jailbreaks it and adds installer/cydia depending on if you use the command line version or GUI.

I am surprised how many of you are concerned about getting media/pics/contacts back if you restore.

That is what the sync does in itunes. First of all - all your music/video is already on your computer so you won't lose that. If you chose to sync your contacts and photos then they will be saved on your computer as well. All you need to do is sync your phone again and everything will be put back. It is very easy!

iTunes DOES back up jailbreaked app settings!

That is why you should not restore from a back up of a jailbreaked phone because it will either be buggy or simply not usable and require a restore.

Always set up a phone as NEW after restoring unless your back-up was from BEFORE you jailbreaked in which case you can restore from that pre-jailbreaked back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.