Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sako94

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
ok one quick question guys will i lose my Contacts , movies , music and etc if i jailbreak my iphone? and if i lose them can i just reguarly add my movies and music back on it and then how do i get my contacts back?

Kev1000000

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, but I thought you cant restore from a jailbroken backup? So does that mean you can only backup before the jailbreak and then never have a backup?

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Yeah, but I thought you cant restore from a jailbroken backup? So does that mean you can only backup before the jailbreak and then never have a backup?

You thought wrong ;)

You can restore from backup to a jailbroken phone all day long, all your contacts, sms, etc will be placed back on your phone.

sgar

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
You thought wrong ;)

You can restore from backup to a jailbroken phone all day long, all your contacts, sms, etc will be placed back on your phone.

Sorry, still not quite sure about this..... you mean a jailbroken backup can be restored to a jailbroken phone (after an upgrade ect) right?

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
use quickpwn.. you dont have to do anything but run it. It also pwns 2.0.2 if you know how.

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Sorry, still not quite sure about this..... you mean a jailbroken backup can be restored to a jailbroken phone (after an upgrade ect) right?

Don't confuse "restore from backup" with "restoring the firmware". To jailbreak, you create a custom firmware and restore that firmware. When you restore from backup, you aren't updating the firmware, you're replacing all of the saved settings, data, etc from the phone. So, from the start if you're going to jailbreak, first do a full backup. Then apply the jailbroken firmware, then restore from backup and you'll have all of your email, sms, contacts, etc.

Nothwithstanding what the other poster said, I fpersonallly would stay away from QuickPwn. Its too new and there are other issues such as not getting Cydia, etc in all cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.