Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
London
Might be a silly question - can I use my iTunes account to buy an application for someone else's iPhone as a gift? They qwon't have access to my computer at all so they can't sync up.

My SiL has just bought an iPhone and I'd like to buy her a couple of apps.

TIA

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
London
That's a shame, it would be a nice gift. How hard would it be to have a coupon/gift code that you could send to someone's iTunes account so they can redeem a certain app or anything else on sale at iTunes. I suppose the concern of piracy rears its ugly head again, as ever.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
That's a shame, it would be a nice gift. How hard would it be to have a coupon/gift code that you could send to someone's iTunes account so they can redeem a certain app or anything else on sale at iTunes. I suppose the concern of piracy rears its ugly head again, as ever.

You could give her an iTunes gift token, then she can spend it on anything she likes, music, movies or apps.

However i think its only a matter of time before the ability to gift an app is possible. They already do it with music. Probably wasn't enough time to get it in for the release.

M.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Interesting, since you can gift shows, movies, and songs. I'd submit a feature request; because you're right, it would be really nice.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
One of the first things I noticed was that you can't gift an application.

I'd especially like to be able to gift ones for free as the developer without having to go through ad hoc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.