Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
My SATA RAID card is conflicting with my 6800 GT Graphics card in my 2002 Quicksilver. Anyone have any thoughts of how to resolve?

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Hey Smurf-

The machine won't boot to 10.5 hard drive or 10.5 install cd.. locks up at gears.

When booting to 10.4 install cd, boots all the way, but no drives show up in disk utility when the 6800 is in. If I put in the old graphics card, the 10.4 install shows the drives fine.

So definitely hardware.

Haven't tried swapping pci slots for the SATA RAID, appreciate the tip.. will try that next.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Hey Smurf-

The machine won't boot to 10.5 hard drive or 10.5 install cd.. locks up at gears.

When booting to 10.4 install cd, boots all the way, but no drives show up in disk utility when the 6800 is in. If I put in the old graphics card, the 10.4 install shows the drives fine.

So definitely hardware.

Haven't tried swapping pci slots for the SATA RAID, appreciate the tip.. will try that next.

Is your video card, or the raid card for that matter, one that requires an additional power connection, and if so, is it connected ?
Also have you inspected the pci contacts on the 6800 for damage, misaligned pins, or other issues.......

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Here's the update -

Swapped the SATA RAID card around in the other ports, no luck there. Checked the graphics card for any damaged connectors - none. It does have the tape applied to two of the pins so it acts in agp 4x mode. This was done by the dealer I ordered it from. It does require power, and has a known good connector plugged into it.

I don't know what is next, maybe its just not meant to be....

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Update: Single user mode works OK with both devices in, safe boot doesn't seem to work though...

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Ram

Try removing some RAM chips, maybe your 6800 is maxing out your power; what kind of RAID card is it?

10.5 won't boot on your QS unless you put in a card that Apple included with Quicksilver models like a Radeon 97/9800 or GeForce4 Titanium, the 6800 is not one of them, they only were included with G5s

If you have an old Radeon or GeForce you can boot into 10.5, install it, update it to latest like 10.5.4, then you can switch your 6800 back into it

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Try an NVRAM reset. This means holding down control+P+R at startup until you hear the chime (which resets PRAM) and then continuing to hold it until you hear the chime again a second time, which signifies the NVRAM reset. You might want to hold it till you hear it three times just to make sure you got it (sometimes if you don't hold Cntl+P+R soon enough it won't reset PRAM, so 3 times will ensure it).

Sometimes the information stored in the NVRAM gets screwed up, and resetting it can fix this.

Also, try holding down the CUDA button for 30 seconds if this does not work.

It's just a shot, but it might work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.