Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obakri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
It seems like everytime I download a new app and synch it... My Iphone spends 25 min synching??? Does anyone know how to stop this>???

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
First if all, this messageboard has a "Search" feature, and this question has come up quite a lot :)

To answer your question, first off you can cancel the backup by hitting the X next to it in iTunes, and iTunes will continue on to the rest of the sync immediately. And the reason for it is, it is backing up the data from all your apps. See, apps store their data within themselves, and the iPhone unfortunately doesn't know where that data is, so it just backs up the entire app. It does this so you won't lose your texts, game saves, to-do lists, etc. The more apps you have, the longer it takes.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
First if all, this messageboard has a "Search" feature, and this question has come up quite a lot :)

To answer your question, first off you can cancel the backup by hitting the X next to it in iTunes, and iTunes will continue on to the rest of the sync immediately. And the reason for it is, it is backing up the data from all your apps. See, apps store their data within themselves, and the iPhone unfortunately doesn't know where that data is, so it just backs up the entire app. It does this so you won't lose your texts, game saves, to-do lists, etc. The more apps you have, the longer it takes.

Regardless, it's yet another problem with the iPhone 3G.

Cancelling a backup using the X button in iTunes means that the next time you DO decide to backup fully, it'll take MUCH longer. Because it's starting from scratch, due to the aborted backup the last time.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Regardless, it's yet another problem with the iPhone 3G.

Cancelling a backup using the X button in iTunes means that the next time you DO decide to backup fully, it'll take MUCH longer. Because it's starting from scratch, due to the aborted backup the last time.

I'm actually starting to think that long backups are actually the fault of apps from the Apps Store and not the phone itself. For instance, I noticed that I was getting a lot longer backups after I installed a bunch of apps, and not just the first time but every time. Then, I installed the Facebook app a week or so ago, and as soon as I plugged my phone in, it started to backup again, but this time the backup took significantly longer than before, and has ever since. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the fault of sloppy code from the third party apps, rather than the iPhone itself. Thoughts?

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Well, as I said, it takes longer the more apps you have, because it is backing up the entire app, and it does your entire list of apps every time since it has no idea if an App's data has changed. Maybe Facebook is a particularly big App, so takes a long time to back up? Don't forget that Apps are compressed when downloaded, but then the App is decompressed when installed, so it has to backup a lot more data than you downloaded.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Go to iTunes preferences and check Disable automatic syncing....

picture3ic2.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.