Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Why the hell does Kevin Rose get so much media attention considering his predictions are wrong 3/4 of the time?

Are the rumor sites so desperate for rumor news that you have to make front page news of someone so unreliable?

Pippen Man

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I dunno how many of you posting pre-release information after your 'sources' signing NDA. leaking information prematurely will have significant impact to Apple. I am not an Apple Employee but definitely would not like to see the company do bad.

Okay, but remember what site your on sir. MacRumors.com Apple's stock/the company itself is based on hype, when an event comes up closer hype builds up, the company looks more promising, and stock rises with the hype. BUT, the moment that event is over with, hype ends (unless with the MacWorld of 2007 **cough** iPhone **cough**), and stock goes down.

And what builds hype my friend? Rumors.;)

clu10

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
to be honest , and no offense. but half the time none of us have an idea what the hell where talking about, just look at forums the speculation before the new iphone 3g was annoced, how many of us really knew what we where talking about, most of us where wrong(myself included) and so far from reality it was unbeleaveable. all we can do here is speculate, because very few of us know steve jobs personally (though we sometimes act like we do) or how the company makes it decisions.

so let's not bash each others idea's instead we should discuss them like grown-ups

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Why are there always some people itching for the Classic iPod line to get canned? What's the point? They don't spend a lot of money in development costs. So even if they make no big changes they can drop the price $25 or $50 for each model and suck some extra revenue until next year, when a 64GB flash iPod at a reasonable price is a possibility. No reason to turn down some final revenue from the line. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone conclusively knows that the Classic line is a money-loser for Apple.

I like that taller, curved front Nano, who the heck knows if it's real or not but I would bet that it is. People were screaming bloody murder at the fatty iPod photos last year, and it turned out fine. Previous to that people were screaming bloody murder at the idea of a screenless iPod, or a flash-based Mini with less storage...you get the picture.

The HDCP issue is a bit tricky. For notebooks and the iMac it is a relative non-issue, you will be able to play HD content on the screen but output a degraded signal (which most people probably don't do.) On a Mac Pro it is difficult- what's the point of having Blu-Ray if the only way to watch Blu-Ray content is through a degraded picture?

I don't think they will let Apple off the hook here. If Apple announces Blu-Ray support, then they will probably have to launch HDCP-enabled video cards too. I don't know if HDCP can be added through firmware update to certain video cards and whatnot.

clu10

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Wow, it's always impressive to see Kevin Rose do anything without a beer in his hand. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's rude, but when has this guy been right about Apple-related rumors anyway? Why should we take his word for it?
He was frequently the first to report on iPhone rumors during this round, and succesfully described the inclusion of GPS and a $200 price point for the new iPhone.

clu10

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
stupid nanos, i dont care about the nano! i want the new macbooks! the video nanos are only a year old why would they already change them?? the mbp has the same design for years.

wow, is there a goo reason your posting here besides to complain

clu10

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Why the hell does Kevin Rose get so much media attention considering his predictions are wrong 3/4 of the time?

Are the rumor sites so desperate for rumor news that you have to make front page news of someone so unreliable?

um, geez have you paid attention to how often he's right about stuff

clu10

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
that nano looks like those chinease knock off ipods, which are cheaper and maybe even just as good?????:confused:

the knocks offs never actually work just the same but they ususally are good enough for what you pay for em

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I dunno how many of you posting pre-release information after your 'sources' signing NDA. leaking information prematurely will have significant impact to Apple. I am not an Apple Employee but definitely would not like to see the company do bad.

I don't think rumors and misfocused cell phone pics 2 weeks before the intro have a significant impact to Apple.

If some confidential information came out about a product 1 year away, then that would be different. But all these pre-September rumors ultimately generate a lot of free publicity for Apple. Then the analysts start picking up on the rumors as well, everyone is racing to be the smartest and call the new Apple products before they launch.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
The rumors may prove true, but I sure hope that's not the new nano. It looks... ugly.

That is what everyone said about the "fatty." I know I actually really like the design. Although, being a "fatty" myself, I don't tend to be running around a lot. I can see it being more annoying in that form factor than tall and skinny.

I am trying to think what new iTunes features I would want. Plus, all of those features would have to be extended to new OS rollouts for Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, etc.

Tags on iTunes would be nice... but I can't see that getting passed down to all the hardware any time soon.

Any ideas for new iTunes features?

I can think of a ton of bug fixes.... but enough features for a new version?

Bug fixes and a few other cool things. Like ... DVD ripping. I think this actually has a possibility. If Apple can tie DVD rips to an iTunes account, MPAA can ensure that DVDs are only being used by one person (or account). It would actually make my buy more DVDs. Knowing that after I buy a product and use it how I wish means a lot to me.

I think it looks ok, I really don't love it and I don't hate it. However
I remember last year when everyone here went wild saying the last iPod (fatty) was awful and it did fairly well.

Just saying....
Quoted for the point - I can do that. lol. :D

Puh-lease.

A curved screen? What is this, 1989?? Next, a fake woodgrain finish!

The fool who shopped that trainwreck also neglected to have the controls in the same direction/viewing angle as the screen.

Think of all the other iPods (minus touch.) They all have scroll wheels in the same direction. It's part of the iPod world... although I wouldn't rule a scroll wheel that would change as the iPod changes direction.

Wonder if 8.0 would come with the itunes subscription rumor that has been floating around on the net.

Maybe. But subscription models suck major butt. I would like to buy my music instead of renting it. (Which I strongly believe is the term most people should use to describe models like that. It is more direct to the consumer)

DHCP might not be needed for the following reasons on the mac:
1. Apple has a great relationship with hollywood.
2. Most mac users respect copyrights of artist given that many are artists themselves.
3. Apple has been a member of the BDA board for some time so they could convince them to make an exception to just have software based protection in the blu-ray player software somehow tied into the OS to prevent ripping of the video.

I quoted this to prove my point that DVD ripping in iTunes can work. They do have the needed contacts and connections. It's just a matter of having the MPAA trust Apple and the consumer.

Also, if iTunes does put some type of DRM -which I'm not a fan of because it usually restricts what I want to do- why not make sure that if the file is leaked out, there is way to track it back. Maybe a watermark that is embedded in an non-viewable area of the video or something embedded into the code that could ID the original creator of that particular file?

DVD and .iso playback and a corresponding front row update. This would be great for anyone with a library of their DVDs on a hard drive.

I remember a rumor about a month ago that brought up the idea of a tall nano with an accelerometer. I wonder if they'd throw in Wi-Fi and let it act as an iTunes Remote.

Nice idea.

I think iTunes 8 could have DVD ripping. I would seriously write Jobs a love letter if that is pulled off.

As for the iPod line, I see something with $99 nano to a $250/$300 32 or maybe 64 gb iPod Touch. I think that product transition has something to do with flash based devices. Apple could take more of a hit with SSD prices and bring them down due to quantity ordered. If all the products Apple ships have an SSD (Besides the MBP, iPod Classic and MacPro) that would mean some huge orders. With huge orders, prices come down.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I quite like the design of that nano, and with price cuts I might be tempted to buy one, even though my first gen nano is still going strong.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

boer

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Latest rumor

Here is the latest! According to my sources, we will have iTunes 9 in the next couple of years and that will be a big update with lots of new features. Also, insiders have reported that Apple is developing a new version of OS X with new features. In addition to that, Apple is claimed to be testing new devices with new features.

You heard it here first!

clu10

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Wow, it's always impressive to see Kevin Rose do anything without a beer in his hand. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's rude, but when has this guy been right about Apple-related rumors anyway? Why should we take his word for it?

BUYAH

cobaltchroma

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
the new ipod ideas sound nice,
but im really interested in new macbooks and macbook pros.
and i really hope a 32GB iphone is released before february of next year,
cause thats when my verizon contract is up and i want to snag one of those bad boys.
:D

but yeah, im interested about a new ipod touch,
however i think the macbooks need a major refresh.

Pippen Man

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DONT READ PREVIOUS POST

Well, actually what happens (and this has happened before to me on numerous number of occasions), is when your in the process of writing your post, another post could have already been written and posted between the period of time that clicked on the "Reply" button until you click on the "Submit Reply" button. This could cause (especially if your in a front page story/exciting thread) a couple of replies already in before yours does.:rolleyes:

And, by the way, I FIND THE CAPS LOCK AWFULLY ANNOYING ;)

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
When will iTunes become JUST for 'tunes' ?? Its bloated, ram hogging CRAP, and not all of us have or even want an ipod, iphone, itouch, itv, etc.

Can they just just release an mp3 ONLY application?

I agree. iTunes has gone from a simple Music Player to a huge bloated mess. I still love iTunes, but damn it needs some serious work done to it. They need to do to it what they're doing to OS X with Snow Leopard.

And for the love of God, please fix "Sound Check" in iTunes!! Half my songs are on different levels than the others. I have way too much music to care to go through and change _each_ individual song, and I'm not paying for 3rd party software that _might_ fix it.

cobaltchroma

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
The fact that he didn't mention notebooks at all worries me....

thank you!
im interested in asking for a macbook for christmas,
but only if they refresh them.
havent they been that same for years despite minor CPU upgrades?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.