Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
How do I transfer a iPhoto library to another computer, and to another version of iPhoto? Is copying/moving the iPhoto photos in the Pictures folder all there is to it?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Raven VII said:
How do I transfer a iPhoto library to another computer, and to another version of iPhoto? Is copying/moving the iPhoto photos in the Pictures folder all there is to it?

Connect both Macs using a FireWire cable. On the *new* Mac you want to the files to be on, go to Applications -> Utilites -> Migration Assistant and choose your iPhoto library.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you want / need to do it manually for some reason, it's sufficient to either transfer your entire Pictures directory or the subfolder of it that contains your iPhoto stuff. When you boot iPhoto, it should ask you for the location of your library. If it doesn't, you can set it from the advanced preference pane, IIRC.

grantnw

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2008
Port Hedland, Australia
Merging iphoto

How about if I've got an existing iphoto library? When I travel I load my photos on to my laptop and now I'm home I want to get them on to my main Mac? Thanks for any info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.