Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
So i picked up a new car last week with an aftermarket stereo. It has an ipod hookup with it but it gives me the this device isnt approved for charging and wont do anything.

I thought i remembered awhile back reading that sometimes jailbreaking the phones can bypass this but never tried it with my V1 jailbroken iphone.

So can jailbreaking fix this?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
The new 3G iPhones are not compatible with many of the v1 iPhone power sources. I have a $60 Belkin FM transmitter/charger that just takes up space in my glovebox, due to the change. Sorry, but I ended up buying a nice Griffin charger for the 3G iPhone. :(

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
I dont believe that jailbreaking will help at all. I had my v1 iphone jailbroke and my ipod touch accessories didnt work.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
The exact reason why it doesn't work is because the iPhone 3G does not support charging over the firewire pins in the 30 pin dock connector. Many car adapters for the iPod and iPhone used the firewire charging since it operates at 12 volts which is what your car battery outputs at. The iPhone 3G will only charge with USB chargers which use different pins in the dock connector and also runs at 5 volts. This is a hardware limitation, so jailbreaking isn't going to do anything to help.

I was in the same boat, so I got this http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK596LL/A?fnode=home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/power&mco=MTU5MzY. The cable has a pass-through dock connection, so you can just connect the iPod cable coming from your car stereo into the bottom of it.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
I believe this has to do with the amperage draw

i had an old ipod charger that was only rated for 1/2 amp that no longer works on my iphone 3g

i would recommend buying the griffin powerjolt for the iphone

It uses a standard usb connector and comes with an iphone data cable

Best of all it has an led ring that tells you the status of your charge

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerjoltiphone/

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
I believe this has to do with the amperage draw

No, while USB and Firewire charging do operate at different aperages the main reason why the iPhone 3G doesn't work with some older chargers or car adapters is because the 3G doesn't support Firewire charging at all.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I love how the universal dock is not very universal if they change it from release to release.

As others stated old chargers might not work because the iphone 3G does not support charging via the firewire voltage where the older phone was able to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.