Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Helmut Kool

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2003
Hi all,

I got my new 12" iBook G4 from Apple Web Store last week. Otherwise I'm very happy with it, but the case seems to be little broken or badly constructed. The bottom left part of it, where I rest my hand while writing with the keyboard, makes a creaking noise. The upper gray part doesn't touch the lower white part unless I push it, that is, there's a gap between them. It is pretty annoying..

Does anybody else have the same problem? Should I try to send the computer back to have it replaced or fixed? I already took it to a local repair shop. They took it apart and put it together again, but that didn't help. Some might say this isn't a big problem, but I think you should get a perfect quality computer for 1300 EUR.

Thanks.

huntsman

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Australia
I noticed this too with the bottom left corner of my iBook G4 12", though in my case it doesn't make any significant creaking noise. The amount of give is pretty small, but it's not the rock-solid construction I was expecting. At the moment the only annoying thing is that when you rest your palm on it, you don't get the same solid feel as on the right side. I assumed it was as a result of getting the 40GB HD upgrade--after being opened up for the upgrade, perhaps it isn't sealed shut as solidly as it would have been otherwise.

Another minor quality control issue is that the spacebar isn't perfectly straight (the gap between it and the palm rest is noticably bigger on the right side than on the left). And the left side of the touchpad button sticks up ever so slightly higher (just enough to be noticable) on the left than the right.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
I also have the new iBook G4 and I also noticed that the case is not straight everywhere. The machine itself is really nice, but this is something that really bugs me, since I am a perfectionist on stuff like that.

groovebuster

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by slipper
my rubber feet keep falling off

maybe its because its 3 am and I've been studying for finals for the past 10 hours but that was the funniest thing Ive read today....lol

McCord9

Suspended
Mar 5, 2003
New York City
left side looseness

This issue has been all over the apple discussion boards. I don't have any clue what they intend to do about it though. Sorry I can't help. I just ordered a new g4 ibook so I hope I'm not back here saying the same thing.

P.S. this issue has been on both BTO and Stock models.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I have a BTO iBook G4 (specs in sig) and my case is just fine... the feet aren't secured on as much as I'd like that's for sure but I've only lost 'em when I pull them in and out of a backpack (which I won't do again). Maybe I'll use some superglue or something...

No creaking on mine, no big gaps, the keyboard seems a little crooked (space bar higher on one side than the other but it doesn't feel weird at all...

Sorry to hear that some of yours are mucked up...

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
what I would like to know is why are these even leaving the factory like this? I thought quality control was a big thing to apple...

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
This is the only problem with my first ever mac

I have a BTO G4 12" iBook.

I have HD and Bluetooth added and the bottom left corner is slightly loose and makes a noise when my palms rest there to type.

I started to notice this after nearly a week but this is only slightly anonying but hasn't stopped my enjoyment of my first ever mac. Man you should have seen the build quality on some of the Dell's, Compaq's and Toshiba's I've worked on in the past.

The only difference is, they were work's pc 's and this is my baby. Now, if only it had a backlit keyboard..... :)

Pilgrims Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
I just received my new G4 iBook on Friday. I had to take the battery out to insert the Airport card, now the battery doesn't sit flush in all four corners. The front left corner sits away from the laptop.

wolverine

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2003
I just got my G4 iBook last week, it's a sweet machine, but I have noticed the same things as you guys.

The left hand side makes the tiniest of noise, it's definitely not as solid feeling as the right side.

The gap between the case and the space bar is bigger on the right hand side of the space bar.

The battery doesn't fit flush.

The keyboard seems to be slightly higher at the backspace key, so it's more noisy than the other keys.

Oh, and sometimes when i hit my 's' key, i get two s's. If that makes sense.

I got a wireless card put in, the hard drive upped to 40gig and a bluetooth module.

Anyone else with some of the above?

Regards.

Wolverine

gooddog

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2002
Quality Control --- Ha ! Better wake up Apple...

Originally posted by blue&whiteman
what I would like to know is why are these even leaving the factory like this? I thought quality control was a big thing to apple...

The previous iBooks had bad "reed switches" in the right hinge that caused a display blackout at 30 degrees open angle of the lid.

The "fix" was to stuff a protective sleeve over the reed that then left ALL such iBooks with that hinge higher than the left one.

And the open edge design looks like a water warped cigar box lid -- gull winged upper lid held precariously by one center-mounted latch.

It is a case of a beautiful design idea being executed with L-O-U-S-Y workmanship....
something about cheap labor abroad ???

If Apple Inc. doesn't wake up and smell the coffee soon, it will lose whatever reputation it still has for solid, beautiful fit and finish.

Sony is nipping at Ives' heels quite effectively with their designs that are BACKED UP WITH QUALITY FIT AND FINISH.

I just opted out of an upgrade to the G4 12-inch precisely because I am LIVID about this.

If I wanted crap like this, I would have bought a winbox.

Enough comparisons of the thinness of the laptops vs. other brands !

The complaints have been on the web for years now, and Apple still sits on their smug ass about it.

I could use a little less fanaticism over THINNESS and a lot more integrity regarding the downright SLOPPY quality of assembly.

BTW, already ran into a 20 " iMac with a lob-sided screen.

Maybe Apple guru's would like it if we served them a thank you filet mignon with a crispy
cockroach on top --- you know, an acceptably insignificant little roach.

---gooddog

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I took my brother-in-law's 12" PowerBook to the "geniuses" at the Apple Store about a fit-and-finish issue. Mind you, this computer's body is made of metal. The "geniuses" informed me that Apple's warranty does not cover plastics.

iBooks have plastic bodies, so this policy of theirs would actually apply in the case of the beautiful white laptops.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Originally posted by Pilgrims Pro
I just received my new G4 iBook on Friday. I had to take the battery out to insert the Airport card, now the battery doesn't sit flush in all four corners. The front left corner sits away from the laptop.

You had to take out your battery to put an airport card in? On my 12" iBook the airport card goes under the keyboard. Do you have a 14"?

Pilgrims Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by SilentPanda
You had to take out your battery to put an airport card in? On my 12" iBook the airport card goes under the keyboard. Do you have a 14"?

I should have clarified. Yes the Airport card goes under the keyboard, but the instructions say to disconnect the battery to insert the card. I do have the 14".

Since I just got this should I call apple or not really worry about it?

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
My battery also isn't quite perfectly flush but it does seem held in place very well, it's a lot better than my old compaq M700 which would move about so much the contact would sometimes be lost.

It's not something I'm going to worry about especially as I had to wait so dam long for the thing to arrive (nearly 4 weeks)

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
You people are some anal-retentive weirdoes! My iBook exhibits all of the non-issues you are talking about. They are nothing. You are freaks. You would find fault with anything. My iBook G4 is solid, and the best machine I've ever owned. Not all of us dwell over "imperfections" that are mere fractions of a millimeter, and you have to be actively looking for to be bothered by. Sheesh!

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
when someone pays good money for something they have every right to insist it be perfect. its people like you that quality control people love because you will settle for second best.

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
If it's any consolation to you guys with the little irritations, my iBook G3's display is essentially falling off (the white exterior plastic is coming off the hinge by over 1/8"). I called Apple about it, and they said they don't cover the case. It's to the point where I can see the exposed wires in the gap between the hinge and the plastic case. :(

Sorry if I went a little off-topic on this one..but it seems along with the logic board problems plaguing iBooks, Apple has got some pretty big QC issues to deal with.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
this is why I have not owned a laptop since the 540 in 96. too many little things to go wrong. I would find it totally unacceptable that they don't cover the case. is it not under applecare any longer?

the plastic panel on the right side of my blue and white G3 was covered for only having a small crack about 3 years ago so one would think that a laptop would get even more attention.

huntsman

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by Pilgrims Pro

Yeah. Add that one to my list.

Speaking of the battery, there seems to be an error in the manual or a problem with my iBook. On reinserting the battery, the manual says "Gently press the right side of the battery down until the battery latch locks into place."

But mine doesn't lock into place itself--it just pops back up and I have to manually turn the latch to lock it. Is yours like that as well, or is mine missing a spring? :)

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
Finally found it...from the AppleCare terms and conditions:

The Plan does not cover:
: Repair, replacement, or maintenance of items that have been subject to wear and tear, such as cases, key caps, knobs, handles, batteries or mechanical parts.
:(

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
the plastic falling apart at the hinge is not wear and tear, its bad workmanship and design. wear and tear seems to be a very broad term for apple. if I were you I would cause a huge stink about this. thats unacceptable!

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
i'm starting to think that apple should have stayed with the clamshell design as they were probably the toughest laptop case ever made next to the titanium powerbook. no one ever seemed to complain about them. the new ibook casing seems to really be flawed ever since they switched to the all white more squared style.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
i was planning on placing my order for an ibook 12" in the next few weeks, but you guys have pretty much scared me out of it. I have saved for 6 months, and I want a PERFECT machine. Maybe $1400 is cheap for $teve Job$, but it's really expensive from my broke perspective.

Maybe I should get a powerbook instead. I am a student, so I don't really need the speed, but it has got to be turbo-durable. I don't think the pbooks have this many engineering issues.... or do they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.