Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NorthernNY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
My son has an iBookG4. Sophus has detected 7 viruses. I'd name them but we're unable to access further info because (presumably) the viruses have blocked his access to the web. How to proceed?

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
My son has an iBookG4. Sophus has detected 7 viruses. I'd name them but we're unable to access further info because (presumably) the viruses have blocked his access to the web. How to proceed?

Update Sophos - it's almost certainly a false alarm.
Use another Virus scanner
List the names of the viruses so we can tell you why they aren't a problem.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
ask if hes been downloading and installing codecs. there has been one that is actually a trojan but its no biggie and can be removed using these directions. otherwise theyre probably just windows viruses… do they start with "win" or contain ".exe"?

NorthernNY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks for responding, but . . .

We can't update Sophus or download another scanner because he has no access to the web. Also, we can't name the viruses because Sophus requires that you log into their website for "naming." Is there a way to do any of this via my computer?

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
We can't update Sophus or download another scanner because he has no access to the web. Also, we can't name the viruses because Sophus requires that you log into their website for "naming." Is there a way to do any of this via my computer?

Download the mac version of Clam AV on your machine (grab the updates too) and then install it onto the other computer. It's highly unlikely that the problems with the net access are related to malware, but without knowing what the malware is, it's hard to move on.

Check that no proxies have been defined in the network part of system preferences, and that the network address settings all look reasonable.

NorthernNY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks very much for that advice (and for reading what I had written). This going to do the trick, I think!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.