Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Is there an iPhone or Touch emulator that you can run on OSX to test out Apps from the App store?

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha techmonkey,

The only thing even remotely similar to what you desire is called iPhone Simulator, and is part of the iPhone SDK. This allows the developer to test their own apps to see how well the apps will respond on an actual iPhone. This also requires the user to be a developer, so it is not quite what you requested, but still somewhat fits your description.

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Aloha techmonkey,

The only thing even remotely similar to what you desire is called iPhone Simulator, and is part of the iPhone SDK. This allows the developer to test their own apps to see how well the apps will respond on an actual iPhone. This also requires the user to be a developer, so it is not quite what you requested, but still somewhat fits your description.

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

Actually, it only fits the emulation part.

You can only test your own applications and not the App Store applications like the OP wanted.

But anyway, I wouldn't want an emulator on my Mac of the iPhone to test out App Store applications...that means that the accelerometer based ones wouldn't work that well (considering the iPhone Simulator can only do rotations).

tuzed

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
Canada
Processor is different.

Actually, it only fits the emulation part.

You can only test your own applications and not the App Store applications like the OP wanted.

But anyway, I wouldn't want an emulator on my Mac of the iPhone to test out App Store applications...that means that the accelerometer based ones wouldn't work that well (considering the iPhone Simulator can only do rotations).

It doesn't even emulate, all it does is simulate the user interface. Apps from the app store are compiled for the arm processor, while the iphone simulator depends on the system it runs on, therefore it has a intel processor.

eshroom

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
With new applications such as Sky Sports for £6 per month emerge (as opposed to the £30+ per month a basic sky package with sports costs), this topic is all the more relevant.

I would only be looking for a solution allowing me to watch Sky Sports on my monitor rather than just the phone...

Any developments would be very interesting.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
It doesn't even emulate, all it does is simulate the user interface. Apps from the app store are compiled for the arm processor, while the iphone simulator depends on the system it runs on, therefore it has a intel processor.

Ding! Correct! :p If only this helped the OP. :D

For the OP, the closest thing you'll find is watching Youtube videos.

iWright

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
I've been hoping for, and indeed see it as the next logical step up from the new app's organisation interface in iTunes, a built-in emulator for iTunes though I don't know about using them before you've purchased.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I've been hoping for, and indeed see it as the next logical step up from the new app's organisation interface in iTunes, a built-in emulator for iTunes though I don't know about using them before you've purchased.

Emulation would not likely happen, but it's definitely possible for them to incorporate iPhone simulation.

When every app is hosted for iPhone they also host an x86 version for the iPhone simulator. Then they could bundle the Simulator with iTunes for Mac and let you run iPhone apps from your computer in iTunes. Of course that would also require all app devs to create a demo version that was free to get the benefit that you're suggesting.

ramparts

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bumping this - I've got an iPhone app I paid for that I'd very much like to be able to watch on my Mac. Are there any solutions for this?

NWADK

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Denmark
Security issue?

Hi MacsOnAnabolics.

I don't think you will see this anytime soon. Allowing App-store Apps to be run on computers opens up for a variety of security issues such as decompiling and traffic-analysis / -sniffing to name a few.
Badly coded Apps could potentially expose a lot of information about supporting APIs and Databases.
Traffic analysis / -sniffing is possible today with apps on iPhones/iPads/iPods, but a lot harder than it would be if running on a computer.

Just my thoughts - I may well be proved wrong :)

david.pena

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2011
Hi MacsOnAnabolics.

I don't think you will see this anytime soon. Allowing App-store Apps to be run on computers opens up for a variety of security issues such as decompiling and traffic-analysis / -sniffing to name a few.
Badly coded Apps could potentially expose a lot of information about supporting APIs and Databases.
Traffic analysis / -sniffing is possible today with apps on iPhones/iPads/iPods, but a lot harder than it would be if running on a computer.

Just my thoughts - I may well be proved wrong :)

I see your point but my counter will be that on a Jailbroken iPhone I can do all the same things as a PC. With enough motivations, the hackers can breach security easily so I doubt PC makes it more probable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.