Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windwaves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
manhattan
Dudes,
whats happening to Apple ??
Last night I came home, woke up my Mac and the display's lower half went dimm !!! and the power light of the display is now flashing ...
Ok. S**t happens. Like I usually do I go to the Apple discussion board and guess what: the first thread in the 17' LCD discussion is exactly on this problem. I am talking, hundreds of people having had this problem. And Apple response ? if your monitor is more than 12 months old, sorry, it is your problem. Cost of the repair nearly $600 (probably more with shipping and stuff). Oh well. That truly sux. I am very concerned with Apple.
Note that I have bought Apple and Apple only for the past 20+ years, never had a problem. Untill I bought a dual 867 last summer. The noise was a joke. I sold it. Bought a dual 1.25, noise still a joke - totally admitted by Apple by the way. I bring it to the store (where again, the guys confirm that the noise is unbearable) they fix it. A day later the same noise reappears. BACK to the store. They give me a new machine. The noise (a cracking super annoying one) still there, although at least not continuously. I give up, I have no choice really.
And now the display. I am lucky I have 2 months left on the warranty, but note that people who have had it repaired for the same problem, have also had it again !
WTF is up with Apple ??????

And I wanted to buy a new 20' display ....

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I have a 17" Studio Display and have had no problems. I never heard of anyone having a problem. The only recent Apple product that has had screen problems is the eMac. Would you mind giving the link to the forum where hundreds of people have the same problem?

Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck.

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
I agree with Freg3000. My dad has had one of those monitors for a long, long time and it still looks very good (I wouldn't mind trading my 17' flatscreen crt monitor for it!). It is hard for me to believe that hundresds of people are having this problem. Well, if you have two months left on warranty better hurry up and send it in, but as far as the computer noise it is not a problem with apple's customer service. It was a design issue so buying a new computer would not make any difference. That is why they were sure to mention the noise levels of the new g5 in the keynote. Best of luck with your monitor....

thebossisback

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2003
Providence, RI
hey I dont have a display, but i understand what you are talking about apple. when the latch to close my iBook broke, they said it wasn't covered under warranty,so I would have to pay to get it fixed.(luckily i compalined and got it fixed for free) it seems as though thier support id going downhill

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I've got a 17" Studio Display and it's perfectly fine. If anything the only complaint is it's too bright on it's default (full-on) setting but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to adjust that ;) . I also have a 12" 800MHz ibook. It's travelled quite a bit (It spent the last fortnight being dragged around Iceland for example) and is really reliable. It could do with being more scratch-resistant and the display having a wider viewing angle and be brighter - especially on mains power. As for Apple service. They seem a bit shaky over here (we use the Irish chaps) but they are pretty helpful and replaced my ibook keyboard after I pulled a key off it whilst cleaning. I will be more careful next time:rolleyes:

windwaves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
manhattan
Freg, have you ever looked at the discussion forums in the support area at Apple.com ? that is where the thread is, and to be exact the address is : http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@58.gWGyaIELakD.0@.ef0cdf9

Altivec, I am glad to hear what you say on the noise issue. Lots of mac addicts here keep on denying it was a problem while even Apple would not deny it !!!! I just can't stand these apple fans who will defend apple no matter what. I consider myself an Apple fan, but of a different kind. I won't try to deny Apple's screw ups and in my view the whole PM G4 line since the MDD was a big one.
As to the monitor, you father might have an older model, since the current 17; LCD has not been around for more than a couple of years I believe. I myself have a 15' Apple LCD bought with the b&w G3 and it still works great (nearly 5 years old).

As far as my monitor, I called Apple and they are sending me the box to mail it back to them for repair, under warranty.

We'll see. I like this monitor but I am concerned.

Robert Davis

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2003
Southwest Harbor Maine
Studio 17 Display

I recently purchased a G4 1.25 DP with a Studio 17 display. After 2 weeks of use, the display had a black band approximately 1.5 inches in width running from top to bottom approximately 1/3 distance in from the right side. Apple sent me a new display. Two weeks passed and a band the same size appeared on the right side 1/3 distance in. They are going to replace the video card and monitor and claim they have not had this problem before. Has anyone else had this problem? More to the story. They installed a new video card and repaired the display. Guess what? 2 weeks later the same thing. You can see what it looks like by going to http://www.daagy.com/studio Stay tuned.

Apple has decided that they believe it is some type of excess power coming from the logic board through the video card. Have to take it in for analysis on Dec 12, 2003. Stay tuned

Warren Huff

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
My 17" studio display is 1.3 years old and out of warranty. Yesterday it suddenly went dim with the 2-short 1-long blinking light in front. The Apple Store said it would cost over $500 to repair, with only a 3-month warranty. A new one costs $650, with the educational discount. What is going on here?!

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
No problems yet with my Apple 17" Display and it's approaching its first birthday.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
apple doesn't make lcds. apple buys them from lcd manufacturers - which also make lcds for other computer vendors.

so when people complain about dead pixels and such, you can say what you want about apple's choice in lcd supplier, but it's kind of off target to complain as if apple has some direct connection to lcd processing and QA. other companies using the same supplier will experience the same problem...

i'm not trying to defend apple - it's too bad that the warranty is only a year and the display is broken - but merely the fact it's probably not just apple. (no, it's not an excuse, but it's a fact.)

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
apple should buy from a more reliable manufacturer then. people have every right to be upset with any company that does not provide quality products wheather they make them or not. when you put your logo and or name on a product you have to stand behind it. its logic and fairness, period.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by blue&whiteman
apple should buy from a more reliable manufacturer then. people have every right to be upset with any company that does not provide quality products wheather they make them or not. when you put your logo and or name on a product you have to stand behind it. its logic and fairness, period.

i agree. the problem is that i guess in this case, apple stood behind it for just a year and that was stated when the purchase was made.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
I will give you a real example of a company standing behind a product. about 3 years ago I had a sony vcr that had the tv tuner go on the fritz. it was just out of warrante by about 6 weeks. I simply called sony and told them my troubles. they took my name and nunmber down and about 3 days later I got a call fom a sony rep. they offered to pay for the repair with both parts and labour since they felt it unacceptable that their own product had messed up so soon after the covergae period was. this is standing behind a product!

if it had been out of warrantee for a year or more or even a few months that may have been different. the point is that they took responsibility for it and took care of my problem because as they worded it "without our customers we are nothing". it made me feel good and helped them keep a longtime customer so everybody won. this is how apple should have handled this problem. its just good buisiness to care for those that keep you alive.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by blue&whiteman
I will give you a real example of a company standing behind a product. about 3 years ago I had a sony vcr that had the tv tuner go on the fritz. it was just out of warrante by about 6 weeks. I simply called sony and told them my troubles. they took my name and nunmber down and about 3 days later I got a call fom a sony rep. they offered to pay for the repair with both parts and labour since they felt it unacceptable that their own product had messed up so soon after the covergae period was. this is standing behind a product!

if it had been out of warrantee for a year or more or even a few months that may have been different. the point is that they took responsibility for it and took care of my problem because as they worded it "without our customers we are nothing". it made me feel good and helped them keep a longtime customer so everybody won. this is how apple should have handled this problem. its just good buisiness to care for those that keep you alive.

that is great that sony took care of you. but just to play devil's advocate (meaning i'm stating below just to discuss, it's not my opinion), there will always be some lucky people who stumble across reasonable help staff and get more goodies than warranted.

experience of those CANNOT be the norm - otherwise, the company will be broke because warranty and service coverages are usually calculated based on failure rates and repair estimates and aren't just about standing behind the products. (it's about standing behind the products while still being reasonable to their business finances.)

breathein

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2005
Okay after reading a bunch of pointless posts I have found no answer to my issue.

The upper half of my monitor is dimmer than the bottom half. My 'sleep/power' button is blinking twice w/ one solid light and repeat..

it seems like its a gradient from the center to the top edge, but its not completely dark at the top.

Any word? I'm going to check that apple support thread that was linked up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.