Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I wanted to charge my 3G at work which are windows 2000, hence cant install itunes...

When I connect up by USB it asks me to install drivers for it. This does not happen when I plug my nano in.

Is it because my Nano is set up for disk use? How do I set up my 3G for disk use?

Cheers

markym07931

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
yeah. it should just charge up..

just cancel all the prompts that tell you to install drivers, and it should sit there charging...

and the iPhone 3G doesn't support disk mode

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
bascially you just have to pug it into a USB slot. I charged mine on my PS3 once.

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I tried to cancel all installations and it still wouldn't charge. It would then re ask to install drivers every few mins. Weird as nano is fine.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I tried to cancel all installations and it still wouldn't charge. It would then re ask to install drivers every few mins. Weird as nano is fine.

Ah, the joys of windows. :)

Anyway, why not use the USB wall charger that comes with it?

Broody

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Minneapolis
I too would like to know if there is a way to charge the iphone on a windows 2000 machine. My work pc doesn't allow us to install anything at all.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I too would like to know if there is a way to charge the iphone on a windows 2000 machine. My work pc doesn't allow us to install anything at all.

So plugging it in does nothing?

After the Windows song and dance (USB this, driver that, new hardware something), the phone just sits there plugged in not realizing it's plugged in?

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Maybe the USB port you were using was underpowered? Try another one. I've charged my phone on several PCs without iTunes installed without any problems, just cancelled all the dialogue boxes that come up when I plugged the phone in.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
You cannot charge the iPhone on a win2k machine, no drivers were written for it. Win2k does not reconize the iPhone.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
You cannot charge the iPhone on a win2k machine, no drivers were written for it. Win2k does not reconize the iPhone.

You can unless the USB ports don't output the standard voltage. It doesn't matter whether the OS recognises the phone or not, the ports will still pump out the watts.

RJ17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Are they usb 1.0 ports? I dont know for sure if this would make a difference but I know the iPhone requires USB 2.0. Just a guess.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
You can unless the USB ports don't output the standard voltage. It doesn't matter whether the OS recognises the phone or not, the ports will still pump out the watts.

Xp doesn't charge the phone until the drivers are loaded, I challenge you to try to install the xp drivers on a Win2k machine, they don't work either, the charge icon never shows, and it never goes into charge mode. I made my work update my pc to XP.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I think it depends on your motherboard and if the USB ports are active without an O/S (set legacy USB port active in the CMOS) because I plugged mine into an Asus motherboard with no hard-drive or video adapter and it charges fine.
Xp doesn't charge the phone until the drivers are loaded, I challenge you to try to install the xp drivers on a Win2k machine, they don't work either, the charge icon never shows, and it never goes into charge mode. I made my work update my pc to XP.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006

Then how did I fully charge my phone on a relative's XP PC with no iPhone drivers loaded? I'd love to hear your explanation of how drivers stop the power to a USB port: if that was the case, how would USB lights etc. that have no drivers work?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Whether drivers are required or not is all based on the USB hardware. IT IS NOT A FAULT OF THE OS!

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
A mac without iTunes installed? Never seen it.

That'd be like Vista without Windows Media Player installed... near impossible (or maybe impossible, you might be able to uninstall iTunes on Mac but I think it's impossible to uninstall WMP from Vista/XP).

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
It's not the OS its the USB port itself. Try a different port - preferably one on the BACK of your tower vs the front. You don't need to install anything to charge your iPhone - you could charge your phone on an Xbox360 if you wanted to. Try a different USB port, and as was mentioned, it's got something to do with your computer in terms of its motherboard and the USB ports itself - not your OS, not iTunes (or lack thereof), and not iPhone drivers.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
It's not the OS its the USB port itself. Try a different port - preferably one on the BACK of your tower vs the front. You don't need to install anything to charge your iPhone - you could charge your phone on an Xbox360 if you wanted to. Try a different USB port, and as was mentioned, it's got something to do with your computer in terms of its motherboard and the USB ports itself - not your OS, not iTunes (or lack thereof), and not iPhone drivers.

I tried every damn USB port on a win2000 machine, my work installed XP on it and guess what hapened, the phone charged. Same PC, different OS. Try it out for yourself. I'm betting everyone argueing with me has never even tried.

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I tried every damn USB port on a win2000 machine, my work installed XP on it and guess what hapened, the phone charged. Same PC, different OS. Try it out for yourself. I'm betting everyone argueing with me has never even tried.

W2k? Where do you work that they are still on W2k? Why don't you see if it works on windows ME or Windows 9x...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.