Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
So I was trying to install the movie.app I saw here at macrumors and all of a sudden it crashed to the little silver apple screen and seems stuck there. I have tried the hard reset (home and lock button) several times but it just stays on the apple screen. Its been about 15 min now and its till on the apple. Can hard resets take this long? I think I see a visit to the apple store in my future. Any suggestions?:confused:

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
Put in recovery mode. Hold home and sleep button for 10 sec then release the sleep wake button and continue to hold home button for 5 seconds and see if it goes into recovery mode. then hook up to itunes. Then restore. Good Luck

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
Put in recovery mode. Hold home and sleep button for 10 sec then release the sleep wake button and continue to hold home button for 5 seconds and see if it goes into recovery mode. then hook up to itunes. Then restore. Good Luck
Thanks, tried the recovery mode thing it resets but then does not go past the apple screen. Don't have itunes at the office (old computer) will try to plug it into itunes when I get home. Made an appointment at the genius bar for 5:40 pm just in case. By the way for anyone who cares Apple has opened up another store here in vegas at the forum shops at ceasars palace. Thats 3 stores all on the same street within 5 miles and I here 2 more are in the works.. cool.:D

trunksu

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
i think u have to have the iphone connector connected to your phone and computer when you put it in recovery mode. at least that's what i was told to do and it worked.

but yeah restore your phone via recovery mode once you get home and it should be good to go. as for your recent data, u probably lost it unless you made a backup recently :(

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
i think u have to have the iphone connector connected to your phone and computer when you put it in recovery mode. at least that's what i was told to do and it worked.

but yeah restore your phone via recovery mode once you get home and it should be good to go. as for your recent data, u probably lost it unless you made a backup recently :(

Thanks I'm thinking about taking a trip home to give this a try.(only live about 10 mins from office) By the way anyone know if I bring in the box and all the things that came with the phone can I get a new one in the box. I really want the serial # on the phone to match the box.

trunksu

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Thanks I'm thinking about taking a trip home to give this a try.(only live about 10 mins from office) By the way anyone know if I bring in the box and all the things that came with the phone can I get a new one in the box. I really want the serial # on the phone to match the box.

they gave me one of those OEM type phones when i had mine swapped so probably not :( although i've read posts on here that people "have" been able to get one with a new box. guess it depends on the genius you get? :confused:

Heyitsme24

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
98% chance restore will fix it so dont get your hopes up on a fresh one.

Same thing happened to me at work. It sucks I had to run home and get my laptop and cable.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
I called the apple store and the guy there said if I did not have time to do the restore before the appointment to just bring it in. They would'nt make me wait while they did the restore in the store would they? I mean that could take hours.

trunksu

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
all the replies are right, very good chance a restore will fix your problem. the recovery mode at the apple store will be the same thing you do at home but it won't have your data till you plug it into your itunes @ home. it'll be like when you first got your phone.

also the recovery mode takes less than 5min so you might as well just wait for it. restoring or dumping your mp3s/videos etc will take muuuuucccch longer though (depending how much stuff you have) and can only be done at home.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
all the replies are right, very good chance a restore will fix your problem. the recovery mode at the apple store will be the same thing you do at home but it won't have your data till you plug it into your itunes @ home. it'll be like when you first got your phone.

also the recovery mode takes less than 5min so you might as well just wait for it. restoring or dumping your mp3s/videos etc will take muuuuucccch longer though (depending how much stuff you have) and can only be done at home.
Thanks for the info. Will try the rcovery mode plugged into the computer first.

maverickuk

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
This happened to me today updating Ambiance.

My phone was screwed, it even crashed both mine and Apples own iTunes.

They replaced my phone this evening.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
Well I found an xp computer at the office to download itunes to and the phone is restoring right now. Once its done I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks everyone.:D

nyfinest32

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
second time this week my iphone froze like this. had to restore both times, which took forever! this is getting ridiculous :mad::mad:

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
just happend to my phone on the way home, weird thing is i wasn't even using it :confused:

maybe battery died and then this happend. everything else has been working fine so far. oh well, time for recovery/restore. hope it works.

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
This happened to me today updating Ambiance.

My phone was screwed, it even crashed both mine and Apples own iTunes.

They replaced my phone this evening.

Hmmmm...mine just "died/locked up" installing Ambiance as well. Doing a restore now. Wonder what it is about that about that app...:mad:

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Mine was picture vault last night when it locked up.

This morning it was Picture Vault, Ambience and/or Recorder

I highly recommend to NOT update Apps using the iPhone...there is major software issues and the forums are FULL of them...not just here but in Apple forums and they are pulling complaint threads pretty quickly.

Lets go Apple...get your own CRAPWARE fixed!!!

coneybeare

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
I am the developer of Ambiance

Hey Guys,

I am the developer of Ambiance. I have received some complaints about crashes in the install of my App and just wanted to say that all of the install code is written by Apple. Here is what I have noticed:

1) Larger Apps tend to fail on download/install more than smaller apps
2) Doing other activity on the phone mid-install is not wise
3) Even Apple's Hold-Em (over 100MB) crashed my phone!

I have a bug filed with Apple (Problem Number 6201858) so if you have developer access, you can check it out.

Here is a list of things to try if this happens to you (most of people that have come to me with problems have been able to fix it using one of these).

I would try powering off/on your phone. If that doesn't work, then a hard reset by holding the sleep and home button until the phone turns off. Power it back on. If that doesn't work, then try syncing up with iTunes. If that doesn't work, I would try removing Ambiance and any other apps that you installed after Ambiance, then letting iTunes reinstall them for you. As a last resort, you can try restoring your phone to a previous date through iTunes and then try again.

Bravo0

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
So I was trying to install the movie.app I saw here at macrumors and all of a sudden it crashed to the little silver apple screen and seems stuck there. I have tried the hard reset (home and lock button) several times but it just stays on the apple screen. Its been about 15 min now and its till on the apple. Can hard resets take this long? I think I see a visit to the apple store in my future. Any suggestions?:confused:

Follow this guide: http://arstechnica.com/journals/app...apple-logo-screen-of-death-with-recovery-mode

15-MIN SOLUTION: CONNECT TO ITUNES AND REBOOT 3 TIMES TO AVOID RESTORE
So this has happened to me more times than i can count, and I've recovered both my phones (2G + 3G) using this method. I've seen some people in this thread allude to this solution but let me just spell it out completely and hopefully this will save you a few restores on your phone.

1. Connect to iTunes via USB. Do not disconnect for rest of these steps. iTunes may appear frozen or stuck with spinning beachball....this is okay, do not Force Quit iTunes. I tried a few times w/o it being connected to iTunes and it doesn't work.
2. Once connected, hold Home + Power until screen blinks then Apple logo comes back up.
3. Wait until Apple logo dims slightly (~5 minutes or less). Do NOT reboot until the apple logo dims.
4. Hold Home + Power again until it reboots and Apple logo comes back up.
5. After 2 min or so, the phone may vibrate once or twice. Continue waiting for the full 5 min until Apple logo dims slightly. iTunes at this stage MAY recognize the phone...do not sync or do anything in iTunes.
6. Hold Home + Power for the 3rd time until it reboots. Phone may vibrate again after 2 minutes or so. Eventually you'll break into your Home screen.
Hope that helps and let me know if it does.

Apparently what causes this endless loop is that the SpringBoard crashes upon launch (over and over again) and launches CrashReporter on the phone itself. It goes into an endless loop until somehow iTunes while connected via USB triggers some sort of fix on the SpringBoard or its preferences/database.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
The cause of this is explained in detail here, along with the solution.

SSH'ing in is a good fix, but useless unless you're jailbroken. I only mention this because this post makes it seem like there's a solution for someone facing the ALoD right now, and it won't help them if they aren't jailbroken.

And the 2 times I've tried the "Darwinian Dude" fix, it hasn't worked for me.

Really, the only proper fix is when Apple gets their friggin act together and pushes out a firmware update that addresses this issue. Honestly, I feel like this should be their number 1 priority. I have wsted countless hours of my life and lost a lot of data restoring my iPhone because of the ALoD. I'm getting wicked pissed off. I can deal with SMS and Contact lags, Safari crashing, and just about any other bug, but constant ALoD's is ridiculous.

juandixon109

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
Hey Guys,

I am the developer of Ambiance. I have received some complaints about crashes in the install of my App and just wanted to say that all of the install code is written by Apple. Here is what I have noticed:

1) Larger Apps tend to fail on download/install more than smaller apps
2) Doing other activity on the phone mid-install is not wise
3) Even Apple's Hold-Em (over 100MB) crashed my phone!

I have a bug filed with Apple (Problem Number 6201858) so if you have developer access, you can check it out.

Here is a list of things to try if this happens to you (most of people that have come to me with problems have been able to fix it using one of these).

I would try powering off/on your phone. If that doesn't work, then a hard reset by holding the sleep and home button until the phone turns off. Power it back on. If that doesn't work, then try syncing up with iTunes. If that doesn't work, I would try removing Ambiance and any other apps that you installed after Ambiance, then letting iTunes reinstall them for you. As a last resort, you can try restoring your phone to a previous date through iTunes and then try again.

its not just with ambiance, its with any apps, the more apps you have the bigger chance of getting the ASOD to occur. =/ its an apple firmware bug for sure.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
SSH'ing in is a good fix, but useless unless you're jailbroken. I only mention this because this post makes it seem like there's a solution for someone facing the ALoD right now, and it won't help them if they aren't jailbroken.

And the 2 times I've tried the "Darwinian Dude" fix, it hasn't worked for me.

Really, the only proper fix is when Apple gets their friggin act together and pushes out a firmware update that addresses this issue. Honestly, I feel like this should be their number 1 priority. I have wsted countless hours of my life and lost a lot of data restoring my iPhone because of the ALoD. I'm getting wicked pissed off. I can deal with SMS and Contact lags, Safari crashing, and just about any other bug, but constant ALoD's is ridiculous.

Don't bother replying... It's a crusade. :D

I agree with your post 100% and it is not my problem to solve.

Heyitsme24

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
I thought it was the asleep app that kept aloding my phone at some point after I installed it everytime. Ambiance works good for me no problems. But I guess that just means any big apps have a chance of crashing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.