Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dean1012

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Hi all,

I am not having too much trouble creating my interface strictly with XCode. However, I am having a difficult time comprehending how to use Interface Builder. I am positive that if I figure out how, my development process will be tons easier.

I understand how to drag and drop items from the library to a view using Interface Builder. What i'm confused on is how to link objects to code.

What I mean is.... if I drag a button into a view and I have a function in XCode to adds 2 numbers and displays an alert how do I make that function get executed when the button is clicked?

Is the button given an ID accessible by my code and I can access the methods and events of that button to interact with it? Or is there a way in Interface Builder to say "When this button is clicked execute X function"

Thanks in advance,
Jerry Smith

Taum

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Yes, the documentation you linked explains it pretty well.

Basically, you just tag every ivar you want to see in IB with IBOutlet and declare all your actions, then connect everything in IB. When the xib gets loaded, every variable will reference the connected object as you'd expect.

Note that in CocoaTouch, actions can either take 1 parameter (of type id : the sender of the action) or no parameters at all (most of the time you're not interested in which object sent the action).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.