Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazychile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Hi all,

This is a stupid newb question but I am a beginning CS student and need to remote in to the schools Linux network to compile my assignment files. I have detailed instructions from my instructor on how to do this using a PC and PuTTY, but I want to use my Mac Mini to do this if possible.

PuTTY appears to not be compatible w/ Mac, and I need an SSH Secure Shell to connect w/ the school network. Can anyone recommend a free Mac application that will do this for me?

Also, does it need to be used with the Mac Terminal window, or does it effectively replace that for this purpose? I'm really pretty clueless about this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
crazychile

burgen

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
osx comes with ssh support, just open terminal, type SSH username@your remote address, and you are connected

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
by the way.. no one has actually said WHERE terminal is

/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

It might be a no-brainer, but figured I'd throw it out there...

crazychile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
YES!!!! Thanks guys!

That worked! I should have known that with a Mac there would be an easy solution.

crazychile

jmmtn4aj

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2008
Singapore
Hey, I want to do this too but can I use the terminal method such that I can utilise tunnelling the same way as on a desktop? I only need SSH for one website. In Windows I would setup SSH for port local port 7070 then point the Firefox SOCKS proxy to that, and exclude all websites except the website I want to connect to via SSH (my countries IP range is banned from it so I use a server outside).

It seems if I use terminal then all connections will be tunnelled am I right?

davedelong

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2007
Right here.
Yep, you can do that too. I use terminal to tunnel VNC through and SSH connection when admining our webserver. It's the -L option on SSH.

Dave

A.R.G.

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
I have to do the same thing for my classes at school.

if i type ssh -X username@address I can get in and run programs as if i was on the solaris unix machines on campus.

Hope that helps

I am totally new to all this...but I am trying to set up a raspberry pi at home as one of my new projects. I know dumb question but what username and address are we talking about to be able to access the linux on my raspberry pi? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!
A.R.G.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
I know dumb question but what username and address are we talking about to be able to access the linux on my raspberry pi?

The user name is your user name, for your account on that Linux install, the address is the address of your Raspberry Pi on your LAN (assuming that's where you use it). In addition to this you also need to start up a ssh server on the Raspberry Pi that listens for connections if that isn't done alreay.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I am totally new to all this...but I am trying to set up a raspberry pi at home as one of my new projects. I know dumb question but what username and address are we talking about to be able to access the linux on my raspberry pi? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!
A.R.G.

User name Rasberry pi quickstart guide.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

Address. If just plug in to home network then it will just get a DHCP address from your router. You can look at the list of connected devices before and after you plug in your pi. The new additional one is likely the pi.
If your router can pin a DHCP address to a MAC address then you can pick out a pragmatically fixed number to have once have configured the router to assign your pi the same number each time.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Or do a netstat -i on the Raspberry Pi.

That is going to be pretty tough to execute if can't log in. :)

If the Pi isn't "headless" and has a monitor and keyboard then just login. If trying to get to it ssh presumably it doesn't have that "login at the console" option.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
That is going to be pretty tough to execute if can't log in. :)

If the Pi isn't "headless" and has a monitor and keyboard then just login. If trying to get to it ssh presumably it doesn't have that "login at the console" option.

That's a good point, but how has the Pi been used up until now if it's both head less and the guy is unable to login with ssh.

(Maybe he has been using telnet and want to upgrade to ssh, in which case he can run netstat over telnet.) :D

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
As for the PuTTY app, there is OS X code available on its svn server, but it is slightly out-of-date. That and, minor thing, I know, it doesn't utilize NIBs.

ghellquist

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Stockholm Sweden
Raspberry and ssh from mac

So, here is the short version on how to run the pi headless.

1) format the sd card and download and install the Noobs. All described on the download page.
2) BEFORE ejecting the card from your Mac, remove all the image files from the card except the Raspbian image. The files are in a directory on the card. Leave all other files. This is the smart part as if there is only one image the bootstrap process will install that image.
3) Now inset the card i. The raspberry. Connect it to the LAN network and aply power.
4) Ssh will now be enabled. User us pi and password is raspberry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.