Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
You can open the AppStore through Safari and when you install apps, it will ask for your password when you type the passcode in the normal way.

Also, if you have BossPrefs set for the double tap, it will open without typing in the passcode. Then hit Power on the bottom and do a fast respring, and you have 100% access to the phone and all programs. Without typing the passcode in.

ill add that to my list of reasons why i dont jailbreak my phone!

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
The problem doesn't exist on the iPod touch because there is no Home Button option under settings and it always displays the iPod controls. This is on version 2.x

Wrong. It doesn't exist on the iPod touch because there is NO EMERGENCY CALL button first. You can't double tap until you get into the Emergency Call area

John-S

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
If Apple were to spend the time putting in all of these measures to safe-guard user errors, then there would be no time for them to develop new features for the iPhone. There is no need to have a way to enter the passcode on the computer as long as the user treats the iPhone in a way that it should be treated.
Thanks for your non-insulting post. I appreciate it : )

For one thing though, the entire iphone software design is in an attempt to be simple and idiot proof. They think out ever user error they can think of to try and prevent it from the software side in attempts to make this the best phone/device on the planet. To do what I'm saying would be soooo simple in comparrison to other software fixes that they have to come up with and is so minor. I mean, the apple laptops actually have a hard-drive that protects itself when its dropped. Apple did that for user hard drive protection incase of accidents. This is on a much smaller scale don't you think?

Plus, its not just user error. Its apples hardware error. According to apple (I asked them believe me), if the hardware in the iphone goes out like a censor or something for some random reason (like a stick of ram or hard drive in a pc), then what do they do? Its the hardwares fault, not the user.... but apple would just replace the entire phone and the data would be lost (unless you paid $$$ to a data recovery place).

If they flip-floped things so that you enter the password on the computer when syncing instead of the phone then the problem would be solved. The apple techs I spoke with completely agreed with me and didn't know why it wasn't setup that way in the first place...

macaron1

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
London
I'm talking about the initial discovery. ;)
A responsible person would report it to Apple and reveal nothing to the community. That way Apple can fix it and there's never actually a risk of it affecting someone negatively. It just so happens that people are far more interested in attention than they are in being responsible.

Apples and oranges. This ain't a scriptable exploit. It's not like MR-perusing evil personae are going on an iPhone theft rampage now that they know they can hack into some.

Just set your home button to something else if you happen to have pointed it to them favorites.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wrong. It doesn't exist on the iPod touch because there is NO EMERGENCY CALL button first. You can't double tap until you get into the Emergency Call area

Yeah, sorry - you are correct. However, there isn't an option to change what the double tap of the home button does in the iPod (not that this is relevant to this discussion now, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless)

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Having my phone password protected, I couldn't access anything because I couldn't type in the bottom keys. So all my pictures were sitting on the phone but I could not sync them to my computer or view them.

The iphone WILL NOT sync the photos without a password entered on the phone first at that time and I'm sure probably now.

Not sure why yours wouldn't (maybe something to do with the water damage, maybe you were trying to sync to a different computer?) but I have my iPhone (v1 but latest firmware) set to autolock the screen after 1 minute, password protected, and every time I plug it into my mac it syncs (including offloading photos) without me having to type the passcode to unlock the screen first. I plug it in, the "Sync in progress" screen comes on, it syncs. That's the way it's always worked.

If you do forget the passcode you can reset it by doing a restore in iTunes and regain access to the phone (this is documented in the users guide). That wipes the data, of course, but as I said you should be able to sync to the computer your phone is paired with without the code.

sloperb

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Safari access means you can access other apps

I have 2.02 and Exchange set up and the instructions worked perfectly. After I got to a contact with a URL and opened Safari, I was able to go to the PapiJump scores page and load and play PapiJump while the phone was still locked.

Apparently with the right window.location() javascript (which you could load from your own website once you have Safari), you can navigate to any app. I haven't tried, but you may be able to open the App Store and install your own app on the phone all while the phone is locked.

sloperb

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
The problem here is that the barrier-to-entry is so low. You leave your phone unattended for 30 seconds and someone can get your home phone number, your last 5 recent calls, and read your latest corporate email. Then they set the phone back down and you'll never know.

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
The problem here is that the barrier-to-entry is so low. You leave your phone unattended for 30 seconds and someone can get your home phone number, your last 5 recent calls, and read your latest corporate email. Then they set the phone back down and you'll never know.

The problem is what if you have an email with sensitive info like credit card number, pin number, etc.... and now that person who looked at your phone for 30 seconds has all that info and you don't know!

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
ill add that to my list of reasons why i dont jailbreak my phone!

No one is making you jailbreak.
No one would make you install BossPrefs even if you did jailbreak.
No one would make you set BossPrefs to open when you double click the home button even if you did install BossPrefs.

No need to throw unsolicited criticism my way. I was merely posting more info about the bug.

If someone were to say "I'll add this to my list of reason not to buy an iPhone" wouldn't that be upsetting? ;)

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
The problem is what if you have an email with sensitive info like credit card number, pin number, etc.... and now that person who looked at your phone for 30 seconds has all that info and you don't know!

Err - who is so foolish to have their PIN, and credit number non-obfuscated in an open email??

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
Err - who is so foolish to have their PIN, and credit number non-obfuscated in an open email??

What if someone steals.... goes to all the bank websites and clicks forgot password email it to me or for that fact any website with login info and clicks forgot password and since they have access to your email they will have access to website passwords!

hdm42

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Honestly, I don't want to make a huge deal about this. But.... this is something I discovered. And I'm not upset that you posted it first, greenmymac, or that it's being publicized all over the internet-- TUAW, Gizmodo, etc. What bothers me a little is that you're taking credit for the discovery. Not only that, you've plagiarized my own submission basically word-for-word.

Allow me to explain:

I figured this out a couple nights ago, and called Apple about it to point it out and see if there was a temporary fix (they suggested setting the home button to iPod controls). I also filed a bug report via Apple's Developer Bug Reporter (I'm signed up as a free iPhone developer). A few hours later, I sent that bug report in full to both MacRumors (via the news submission form) and TUAW (using their Tips page). The first post in this page is, word for word, a portion of that bug report. If it really comes to that, I can submit screenshots/Apple problem ID numbers/my follow-up email from Apple (with times BEFORE this thread's first post), etc. as proof, but I hope this won't be necessary. I'm not looking to start a flame war here, just don't like it when someone plagiarizes me so transparently. Greenmymac: I'm not sure if you got ahold of this via MacRumors, TUAW, or (god forbid) Apple, but was it REALLY necessary to claim the discovery as your own?

According to the ADC email I received, this was already a known issue. Nevertheless, I AM happy about how much attention this has gotten, hopefully that will spur Apple into putting out a fix sooner rather than later. I actually submitted it anonymously in the first place, so I wasn't exactly looking for credit. But it doesn't feel right to let greenmymac post this as if it were HIS (or her) discovery, uncontested.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
What if someone steals.... goes to all the bank websites and clicks forgot password email it to me or for that fact any website with login info and clicks forgot password and since they have access to your email they will have access to website passwords!

If you bank with a website that will email you your password with the click of a button without asking for other authentication info, you deserve it.

Honestly, I don't want to make a huge deal about this. But.... this is something I discovered. And I'm not upset that you posted it first, greenmymac, or that it's being publicized all over the internet-- TUAW, Gizmodo, etc. What bothers me a little is that you're taking credit for the discovery. Not only that, you've plagiarized my own submission basically word-for-word.

Allow me to explain:

I figured this out a couple nights ago, and called Apple about it to point it out and see if there was a temporary fix (they suggested setting the home button to iPod controls). I also filed a bug report via Apple's Developer Bug Reporter (I'm signed up as a free iPhone developer). A few hours later, I sent that bug report in full to both MacRumors (via the news submission form) and TUAW (using their Tips page). The first post in this page is, word for word, a portion of that bug report. If it really comes to that, I can submit screenshots/Apple problem ID numbers/my follow-up email from Apple (with times BEFORE this thread's first post), etc. as proof, but I hope this won't be necessary. I'm not looking to start a flame war here, just don't like it when someone plagiarizes me so transparently. Greenmymac: I'm not sure if you got ahold of this via MacRumors, TUAW, or (god forbid) Apple, but was it REALLY necessary to claim the discovery as your own?

According to the ADC email I received, this was already a known issue. Nevertheless, I AM happy about how much attention this has gotten, hopefully that will spur Apple into putting out a fix sooner rather than later. I actually submitted it anonymously in the first place, so I wasn't exactly looking for credit. But it doesn't feel right to let greenmymac post this as if it were HIS discovery, uncontested.

Oh, do post screenshots. I would thoroughly enjoy them. :)

GradientMac

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2007
Canada

Allow me to explain:

According to the ADC email I received, this was already a known issue. Nevertheless, I AM happy about how much attention this has gotten, hopefully that will spur Apple into putting out a fix sooner rather than later. I actually submitted it anonymously in the first place, so I wasn't exactly looking for credit. But it doesn't feel right to let greenmymac post this as if it were HIS discovery, uncontested.

He's my friend, and honestly, if I were him, I'd be livid. Even if you're from TUAW or MacRumors, or hell, even Apple, you had no right to take all the credit for this. He was the first person to find it, and he should have the credit. I have even more proof.

20080827-dhpxbycwnnp68xsd1n1y1nu9f3.png

Chax history, posted on August 26th at 6:58 PM MST.

HE discovered this, and HE should have the credit, not GreenyMac.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007

Allow me to explain:

Pics or it didn't happen :rolleyes:

You are making a pretty bold claim for somebody who isn't all that active here as a member (only one post), and doesn't have any real connection between your reports and this thread.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Or you could look at my post right before yours...
Which wasn't there when I typed that, and even still there is no proof that you are talking with him, and I would hardly call that proof. And it still doesn't show how this thread's OP got the info.

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok

Allow me to explain:

According to the ADC email I received, this was already a known issue. Nevertheless, I AM happy about how much attention this has gotten, hopefully that will spur Apple into putting out a fix sooner rather than later. I actually submitted it anonymously in the first place, so I wasn't exactly looking for credit. But it doesn't feel right to let greenmymac post this as if it were HIS (or her) discovery, uncontested.

Im sorry you feel im taking all the credit but I authentically found this yesterday on my iPhone and I searched the forums thoroughly before posting to make sure someone hadn't already posted about this exact issue

GradientMac

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2007
Canada
Which wasn't there when I typed that, and even still there is no proof that you are talking with him, and I would hardly call that proof. And it still doesn't show how this thread's OP got the info.

Uh, because if GreenyMac was my friend who sent me that, I'd be calling him out, right? Or wait, that might be stupid!

If you're hard pressed to believe me even still:

20080828-jifqcy69ypt71gfj6yty8wbfkg.png

Unless GreenyMac decided to have an extremely similar username on iChat and I'm friends with him this is more proof than needed.

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
Uh, because if GreenyMac was my friend who sent me that, I'd be calling him out, right? Or wait, that might be stupid!

If you're hard pressed to believe me even still:

http://img.skitch.com/20080828-jifqcy69ypt71gfj6yty8wbfkg.png

Unless GreenyMac decided to have an extremely similar username on iChat and I'm friends with him this is more proof than needed.

How is that proof? So I guess what your saying is I hacked into your computer and watched you and your iChat conversation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.