Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
I just got a PowerMac G5 1.8 with 1GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive and a 15" LCD Monitor for $250 off craigslist tonight. I think thats a very good deal. My original idea was to just eBay it and make a few extra bucks, but now I think I want to keep it and use it for something. But for what? I already have a new iMac. So I'm asking for some suggestions on what I could use this for. Thanks!

meeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
that was my initial thought but right now i have the airport extreme with a couple hd's connected which serves up my content pretty nicely. would the powermac as a server have more options than the router?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
that was my initial thought but right now i have the airport extreme with a couple hd's connected which serves up my content pretty nicely. would the powermac as a server have more options than the router?

I don't think so, hmmm ...

meeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
huummm.........don't you remember the "Gigabit Ethernet" version of the G4 tower, released in July '02 :confused:..........

every mac since then has had it built-in as standard equipment ohyeauhhuhhadtohavitforsureohyea :eek:

yes i just did a little googling and noticed that. thanks.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
Got a HDTV? I would use it as a media server like people use mac minis...... except on a much larger scale

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
use it as a secondary computer, do u have others in the house or w.e u live in? let my parents use my eMac aslongg as i can put all my music on it which is on a external hdd

meeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
use it as a secondary computer, do u have others in the house or w.e u live in? let my parents use my eMac aslongg as i can put all my music on it which is on a external hdd

i was thinking about letting a sibling use it but they seem to be more prone to macbooks. and i can't blame them.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Do you pay for webhosting? You can turn it into a webserver for free and save yourself some money, provided you aren't getting millions of hits a month...

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
That is a very good deal, but for such a good machine it would be a waste to turn it into a server.

You could use it to experiment with and explore Terminal and the inner workings of the Mac OS, or make it a dedicated machine for a certain purpose…Programming, Photography, Mini music studio etc.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
That is a very good deal, but for such a good machine it would be a waste to turn it into a server.

You could use it to experiment with and explore Terminal and the inner workings of the Mac OS, or make it a dedicated machine for a certain purpose…Programming, Photography, Mini music studio etc.

True, but actually because of how good a machine it is, you could do both if you do the server in OSX. OSX's web sharing can run in the background and won't effect anything but the more high-end apps. :)

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
True, but actually because of how good a machine it is, you could do both if you do the server in OSX. OSX's web sharing can run in the background and won't effect anything but the more high-end apps. :)

Yeah true, good point. That's actually what I do locally haha, for some reason I was under the impression of you meaning a box hidden under the stairs. #laughs at my stupidity

The OP could host his work to his friends.

belunos

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
Sounds like you've already been through all the options, sell it before it devalues more

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I'm going to say sell it, since you've got all the other practical options covered.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
not to threadjack, but whats a good way to set up a G5 1.8 as a server?
I have one as well that runs leopard pretty good with 2gb of memory and a 250GB harddrive, i have a MP that i have transferred all my apps and do all of my productivity from there and have just been using the G5 as an entertainment solution, but wanted to host a site or two from there, but dont have OSX Server....

any good tips on getting that started? my sites generally get about 800 - 1200 hits a day i think it can work pretty decent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.