Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Possédé

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Scotland, United Kingdom
Hello,
I recently purchased an invisibleshield for my iPhone 3G, and now notice that there are lines/streaks across the screen of my iPhone because of the shield. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. It's only noticeable at certain angles, and can get annoying when playing games. Do you think this would warrant an exchange?

Thank you,
Possede

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Hello,
I recently purchased an invisibleshield for my iPhone 3G, and now notice that there are lines/streaks across the screen of my iPhone because of the shield. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. It's only noticeable at certain angles, and can get annoying when playing games. Do you think this would warrant an exchange?

Thank you,
Possede

I got these as well. Shouldn't worry about it too much. Although on all invisible shields I've installed this line effect happens regardless of how clean and smooth the surface is.

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
I HAD that problem, but they seem to be mostly gone now. Either that or I just don't notice them. It's up to you, but I think they're worth it, to be able to still see the iPhone, and to have it protected...

lansun

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Lines on Invisible Shield

I noticed these lines on my Invisible Shield too.. I was so suspicious if they were the lines on the invisible shield or my iphone screen is broken or some thing! that made me sleepless for a couple of days, until i learnt about these lines on this thread!

Possédé

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Scotland, United Kingdom
Hello again,

I got a reply from customer services from where I purchased it (eBay Powerseller). Apparrantly it is not a faulty product but a problem caused by "wrongful application". They are unable to replace it, and told me to go to 'zagg.com' and ask for a replacement there. What gives? I applied it perfectly. It is a manufacturing defect.

:(

Dr Strangelove

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
The lines appeared for me just recently. Within the first two weeks of applying it, the screen was smooth as butter. I would not worry about it. The protection provided far outweighs seeing these lines only at certain angles.

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
I just applied to IS to my iPhone and I think I have the lines you guys are talking about. They're vertical streaks that are under the actual shield. I've applied a few Invisible Shields to electronic devices before but have never encountered this problem. Hopefully it's residual moisture under the film that just needs to dry out; I'll try to remember to post back here in a few days to give an update of whether the lines go away.

method84

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2008
they gave me the same ********, said I installed it wrong and theyd send me a new defective film. **** Inivishield they suck and everyone should know it:mad:

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
they gave me the same ********, said I installed it wrong and theyd send me a new defective film. **** Inivishield they suck and everyone should know it:mad:

I got the original designed IS on my 3g iphone right now. I heard they redesigned them and are shipping the new ones out right now. Does anyone have the new version? Whats the difference? pictures ?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I've used Invisible Shields on my iPods for years (starting with a 20GB 3rg gen iPod four or five years ago) ... Every one of them has had tiny, straight lines running lengthwise ... I'm guessing it's just due to the manufacturing technique they use.

That said, after ruining two Shields on my 3G (botched installations on both of them - and I'm an IS veteran!) I decided to just go 'naked' as they say. Bad move. Within a few days my iPhone had numerous scratches on the back, most of them impossible to see unless you really studied it - but the Apple logo: scratched to hell and back. And I was VERY careful with it. So, I decided to order some more shields and have another go at it. After reading some reviews on this forum and others, I decided to try my luck with the BodyGuardz film as it doesn't suffer from the 'orange peel' effect but is supposedly as scratch-resistant as the IS. While I waited for the BGs to arrive, I actually got my iPhone replaced and spent the last six days babying the new one - I never once set it down on a hard surface, and was EXTREMELY careful with it.

Yesterday my BG arrived. I cleaned my iPhone off and looked as hard as I could for scratches on the back - there were none, not even on the logo! So, yay. :D Anyway I applied the BG last night using my 'clean room' (steamy bathroom) but still managed to get tiny black fibers under the film, I guess from my microfiber work surface. Figures. But instead of just letting them be (and it bothering the heck out of me) I wet my fingers with the spray, pulled up the film (already slightly tacky at this point) and cleaned it off. I had to do this several times, but ended up with a perfectly clean install. I spent literally two hours getting the corners down perfectly but they look fantastic now, in fact they look so good that you cannot tell there's a film on there at all unless you look VERY closely. The BG is smooth, almost as smooth as a naked iPhone. It isn't as grippy/tacky as the IS but then again it doesn't have those damn manufacturing defect lines, either. And no orange peel effect.

I guess my point is: next time you're thinking of buying a film, skip the IS and try the BodyGuardz instead. The price is the same but you get two films instead of just one - so you've got room for mistakes. But in the end, the BG looks MUCH better than the IS, in my opinion. I won't be buying IS again, that's for damn sure. ;)

ttran1

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
I got these as well. Shouldn't worry about it too much. Although on all invisible shields I've installed this line effect happens regardless of how clean and smooth the surface is.

I notice a line on mine. Does anyone know if these line will go away eventually or do I need to do a reinstall ?

Also I never heard of this happening on the crystal clear screen protector.

I hope it us not a defect to my screen.

jaask

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
I notice a line on mine. Does anyone know if these line will go away eventually or do I need to do a reinstall ?

Also I never heard of this happening on the crystal clear screen protector.

I hope it us not a defect to my screen.
No, they will not eventually go away, they are on the IS screen itself. So only way to get rid of those "rainbowy" lines is to replace the shield.

And yes I have couple lines also on mine, never going to order IS again.

heya

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Hello,

Thank you,
Possede

I've been thinking of buying one. Are they as good as they claim in the video?

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
Terrible application process

(yes, I had some vertical lines)

I like the fact that the film, would protect it and the best feature is it makes the device less slippery, thereby providing drop protection. I put this on my MBP and it really helped at airports, taking it in & out so much - NEVER dropped it.

When I traded "up" to the MBA, I decided NOT to install it and everything is 100% fine.

When we got 2 new iPhone 3Gs, I put the IS on mine and the BACK went on TERRIBLE. I had to cut all the corners off with a sizzors and it looked soooo bad.

I pealed the BACK (and front) off yesterday and an ogin completly naked from now on. I'm sick of spending so much $ on assessories and will tak my chances.

IF it was an easier application process and went on well, I'd like it. Again as it make it less slippery and easier to grip (less chance of drop).

No more IS for me...

heya

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
(yes, I had some vertical lines)

I like the fact that the film, would protect it and the best feature is it makes the device less slippery, thereby providing drop protection. I put this on my MBP and it really helped at airports, taking it in & out so much - NEVER dropped it.

When I traded "up" to the MBA, I decided NOT to install it and everything is 100% fine.

When we got 2 new iPhone 3Gs, I put the IS on mine and the BACK went on TERRIBLE. I had to cut all the corners off with a sizzors and it looked soooo bad.

I pealed the BACK (and front) off yesterday and an ogin completly naked from now on. I'm sick of spending so much $ on assessories and will tak my chances.

IF it was an easier application process and went on well, I'd like it. Again as it make it less slippery and easier to grip (less chance of drop).

No more IS for me...

Does it leave any mark on your iPhone after taking the film off?

stoich

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
STR8 RIPPIN!! SKITZY!
Invisibileshield...Bodyguardz...bse?? whats the difference?

Now what is invisibileshield and bodyguards and bse? I have Ghost Armor on my macbook and it looks good. I had mine put on in fiesta mall by one of the people they're so I didnt have to do it phew! no lines but my macbook is black so they might not be noticeable. Is there a difference in the material or is it exactly the same? I thought they're was only ghost armor so if someone could let me know whose is the best that'd be cool. :):

jaask

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
I think they actually say on the website that the lines will disappear but it takes about a week or so for it all to clear up.
Believe me those vertical rainbowy lines will not disappear. I've had them almost a month on mine now.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
sorry to rebump this, but I'm on my 3rd InvisibleShield. This last one, that I haven't put on yet, was a "complimentary reimbursement" that they sent me for free.

Anyway, on the previous 2 shields, I've had the same black lines in the same spots on the shield.

Prior to that, I bought a shield from bestskinsever before IS, and it did the same thing.

WTF is wrong with this crap? Is it just my phone? The application process? What.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
sorry to rebump this, but I'm on my 3rd InvisibleShield. This last one, that I haven't put on yet, was a "complimentary reimbursement" that they sent me for free.

Anyway, on the previous 2 shields, I've had the same black lines in the same spots on the shield.

Prior to that, I bought a shield from bestskinsever before IS, and it did the same thing.

WTF is wrong with this crap? Is it just my phone? The application process? What.
sell it on craigslist or ebay and buy something else. If you are only protecting the screen, I completely recommend the Crystal Screen protector sold in the apple stores by Power Custom or something like that. They attach via static and are completely invisible, unlike that IS crap.

I am constantly amazed that people rave about and recommend IS here. I tried it on my original iphone because of a 50% off sale, and ended up taking it off within a week of use. The "lines" as called in this thread and the way it collected lint in my pocket and eventually curled up edges made me hate it.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
sell it on craigslist or ebay and buy something else. If you are only protecting the screen, I completely recommend the Crystal Screen protector sold in the apple stores by Power Custom or something like that. They attach via static and are completely invisible, unlike that IS crap.

I am constantly amazed that people rave about and recommend IS here. I tried it on my original iphone because of a 50% off sale, and ended up taking it off within a week of use. The "lines" as called in this thread and the way it collected lint in my pocket and eventually curled up edges made me hate it.

lol, maybe I should. I haven't opened the new one they gave me.

The lines aren't even around the edge of it.... it's on middle part and top, towards the middle. I dunno what it is. I guess I'll try this Apple one. Makes sense. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.