Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjoshuav

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Anyone else playing around with Autonomous? It's meant to be an Elite clone (for those of you who are old-school PC gamers), and seems to be a great concept. The implementation is a little spartan and buggy, but I'm willing to stick with it and see where the game goes.

Just wondered what others thoughts were.

Joshua

cjoshuav

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Here's the review I posted on iTunes

I so wanted to like this game, and I think I will after a few updates. Right now it needs:

1. A much larger galaxy.
2. A news feed to give suggestions about what to buy/sell where
3. Graphs to illustrate profits/losses and market trends
4. A reminder of what you paid for your cargo
5. A way to updgrade your ship
6. Names for planets
7. A ships log to record planets visited, purchases made, etc.
8. Factions (put this low on the list, but it would be nice) and Faction Ranks
9. Opportunities to explore with a high enough navigation skill

chrisb3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone else playing around with Autonomous? It's meant to be an Elite clone (for those of you who are old-school PC gamers), and seems to be a great concept. The implementation is a little spartan and buggy, but I'm willing to stick with it and see where the game goes.

Just wondered what others thoughts were.

Joshua

It's actually more of a port of Space Trader for the Palm and Win Mobile platforms. A bad port of it too. I was told by the dev a good month ago that an update was coming, but nothing yet.

chrisb3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
A new version has been released to the AppStore. The page says 1.0, but the download will be 1.1.

Haven't tried out the new version yet.

No listing of new features either.

paj

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
USA
Ah.. memories. I wasted many hours playing Elite on my BBC computer.

chrisb3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
But wasn't Space Trader an Elite-genre game? :)

Joshua

Space Trader for the Palm/WM platforms is a kind of 2D version of Elite. Which is what Autonomous is clearly copying.

I actually question as to whether or not Pixio can charge a fee for this as this appears to be a direct port of a free game under the GNU Public License.

I wonder what the developer of Space Trader thinks about this? Or if he knows about it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.