Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I was wondering if all monitors are compatible with Macs (I have an Intel Mac running leopard) and if not, how do I find out which ones are or aren't Mac compatible.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I was wondering if all monitors are compatible with Macs (I have an Intel Mac running leopard) and if not, how do I find out which ones are or aren't Mac compatible.

They all are. They'll use either VGA or DVI (DVI is best) so just make sure you get the right adapter if you need one (iMac & MacBook, the MacBook Pro, Mac mini and Mac Pro come with a DVI -> VGA adapter) otherwise just plug it on in.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The monitor must have a DVI or VGA port. If it has a HDMI port or DisplayPort port instead then you'll need an adapter or converter.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Yes all computer monitors work with intel macs. Older macs like early G4's would need an adapter for that braindead ADC port apple used instead of normal DVI, also older Cinema Displays that have stupid ADC would need an adapter for DVI computers. With the exception of the old apple monitors there are no monitors that dont have at least VGA or DVI.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
No. Not the ones that have the sticker that says "Works with Windows Vista" :eek::D;)

vista-logo.gif

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Don't forget the DVI comes in different "flavors", e.g., DVI-I , DVI-D, etc. This was recently discussed in this thread.

When it comes to monitors thats not an issue, at least not with macs since all of them support analog and digital. That guys problem was using 2 adapters that are supposed to connect directly to the computer, you cant daisy chain them.

macsig

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Marina del Rey, CA
iMac & MacBook, the MacBook Pro, Mac mini and Mac Pro come with a DVI -> VGA adapter

Hello, I'm thinking to buy a LG W2252TQ and in the support site I found:

You will have no trouble with the hardware, but software bundle with monitors will not load on a MAC. (There’s not any DVI support for MAC)

What does it mean? Have I to use the adapter or anyway I can't use it through DVI.

THANKS

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Some companies don't test with a Mac, or still think that Macs still have either the Old DE-15 connector that they had prior to the B&W G3, or that they still have the ADC. Any VGA connection will work on a Mac built since the B&W G3 (with an adapter required for some systems that only have DVI, Mini-VGA, Mini-DVI, Micro-DVI, or only ADC & DVI), and any DVI connection will work on any Mac with a DVI or mini/micro-DVI connection, or most with an ADC connection (with adapter), regardless of what the manufacturer states. The only question is resolution support or frequency, which is mostly a software thing.

^^^
What they mean is that their special software won't work on the Mac, but you don't need it, since the Mac will support it out of the box. You may have to use the Colorsync setup yourself instead of relying on other software to color correct.

TEG

frederic.eb

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
can't connect to my display

Hi, I cannot connect to a Samsung B2230 ext display with a macbookpro. It did once but never again after that. I have a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter. Is it the wrong adaptor? or ...

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
No. Not the ones that have the sticker that says "Works with Windows Vista" :eek::D;)

A good sense of humor!

----------

Hi, I cannot connect to a Samsung B2230 ext display with a macbookpro. It did once but never again after that. I have a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter. Is it the wrong adaptor? or ...

You may need to make some selections in the System Preferences under the :apple: menu.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Thanks Teg, how can I setup Colorsync? Can I find some software made for Mac in order to handle it?

Colorsync calibration is built into the "System Preferences". It's very easy to use and good enough for normal everyday use. If you are a graphics artist who needs absolutely perfect calibration, you will probably buy some hardware solution, and whatever comes on the Windows discs wouldn't have been good enough anyway.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Colorsync calibration is built into the "System Preferences". It's very easy to use and good enough for normal everyday use. If you are a graphics artist who needs absolutely perfect calibration, you will probably buy some hardware solution, and whatever comes on the Windows discs wouldn't have been good enough anyway.

You do realize that you just responded to a post that is almost 4 years old right? Hopefully, he has figured it out by now. ;)

GL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.