Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beppo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
u.s.a.
does any know if it is possible to upgrade an iMac G4 to intel. I was thinking of just getting rid of every thing in it and replaceing it with a new mac mini. what do you think?

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
does any know if it is possible to upgrade an iMac G4 to intel. I was thinking of just getting rid of every thing in it and replaceing it with a new mac mini. what do you think?

If you get the parts to the mac mini. But it would be wise if you got the mini to keep its components in the case, and get a display. Instead of taking them out of the mini and into the imac g4 which i think is a pain in the ass to upgrade. If you don't, then you'll have an Mac mini case for show!!!

MacBooksRock

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007

dude, if you do that, give me the instructions.. ive got one that I would LOVE to do that to. =]

lgoodlove

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
i would love to see any instructions for this also...

i fell in love with the imac g4 at first site, even though i was young i know i'll own one some day no matter how out of date they get.

I wouldn't mind ripping one apart either and putting in my own PC hardware if it would help me get a good bus speed (1066mhz or better)

marold280

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
the iMac G4 is the sexiest mac i think.
its a shame they are so god damn slow !
mine is 800mhz !
that would be awesome if you could do that btw :D

lgoodlove

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
im willing...

im willing to spend money of this and try if someone could point out if or how you would even get started. I have built custom computers but idk about using the screen and sound already from a power PC...

rfruth

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Texas
since the PPC isn't pin compatible with the C2D, no upgrade possible without some serious hacking & even then you would have an unsupported kludge of a G4 on your hands :eek:

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC

Direct upgrade is not possible. You might be able to fit the Mini's guts in the G4's dome, but would have to engineer a new base, DVD mount and wiring for the LCD.

Might be more fun to use a case from a Mac Classic with a small LCD and a Mac Mini's guts :)

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Direct upgrade is not possible. You might be able to fit the Mini's guts in the G4's dome, but would have to engineer a new base, DVD mount and wiring for the LCD.

Might be more fun to use a case from a Mac Classic with a small LCD and a Mac Mini's guts :)

Totally agree with this, and if I had the money I'd give it a go. The mini's definitely small enough to fit in the G4 dome.

Have a look online for break-downs and take-aparts of the G4 and the Mini, and see if the Motherboards on each use standard connectors that you could get adapters for if necessary.

I've seen disk drive and hard drive upgrades performed, so mounting the mac-minis super drive and hard drive wont be difficult, but I'd be careful around the video cables (monitor). Apart from that, everything else is practically on-board the macmini.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I've put extensive research into the subject of fitting a Mini in an iMac G4. To be brief, the Mini will fit in the iMac (though I'd take it out of the case to get better ventilation) and with the proper adapters you can use a desktop sized hard drive and optical drive with the Mini. The only catch is the display which uses an irregular connector (there might be an adapter for it, but I don't know the type of connection). My thoughts on this hindrance would be to essentially buy a DVI display, remove the casing, and the somehow mount that in the display housing of the iMac and feed the power and DVI connector through the neck. Good luck though, it won't be an easy task.

lgoodlove

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
maybe later...

well sounds like sence no one has done it before it would be exiting to claim the first to do it... but if it's going to be difficult and costly i think i'll wait till later in life when i have money i can trow around more for fun...

after all im only 16 and trying to start up a buisness... http://www.shporg.org/doodle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.